Re: talking Linux?

k9dc <gingrich2@...>

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Butch Bussen <butchb@s...> wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll try and keep it as
brief as possible. I am totally blind and use special software to
make my computers talk. I just received my board and cd yesterday.
I'm not totally unfamiliar with Linux, I've used pine, linx, and
ftp on a shell account for years. I know there is some work being
done with a "talking Linux", but most of what I've seen uses
Slackware. I know I'll need some sighted help getting things up
and running, but I want to do as much as I can myself and learn as
I go.

I presently have a talking desktop computer running win98 and special
"screen reading" software. I use a terminal program on this
system to access my shell account and it works quite well. Unless
I can find some sort of bootable talking Linux, I'll need help
getting the first installation done. After this, how much can I do
from a terminal program on my main computer?
You should be able to do nearly everything from a remote session,
including installation of the IRLP software. The only thing your
screen reader might have a problem with is setting the audio levels
with aumix. Aumix is text based, but it uses the arrow keys to move up
and down the various channels of the sound card and left and right to
set the level.

I notice the documentation talks about
switching terminals with alt-f1. Can I accomplish the same thing
remotely by logging in twice?
Yes you can telnet or SSH into the Linux shell as many times as you
want. Short of a hardware failure, Linux can be completely
administered remotely. In fact many of us do not even have a monitor
or keyboard on the computer.

I've tried using WINSCP on a friend's computer, and it doesn't
work well with my talking program. I often use FTP to move files
back and forth. Is this available on the IRLP distribution, and
if so, what do I have to do to implement this?
Command line FTP comes with Linux, but the FTP service is disabled on
a normal installation. However you can always use the command line
utility scp or "secure copy" to move files around. SCP uses ssh as the
transport mechanism and is available if you have sshd running.

While IRLP was not particularly designed for a blind user, since there
is no GUI and is totally command line driven, you should have a good
chance at a succesful installation. I would imagine that soldering
connectors on cables for the radio interface would cause more
difficulty than installing the software.

-Dave K9DC