Re: Port forwarding problem

David Cameron - IRLP

The more I look at this, the more I think you should just do the
following:

1) Return your linksys, and just buy a SWITCH, not a router

2) If you dont want to return your linksys, plug the cable from the
DSL modem into one of the 4 ports of the switch. Then your computers
will be assigned 172.16.X.X addresses, and you will only have one
firewall.

3) Assign the IRLP computer a static IP address of 172.16.1.100
netmask 255.255.0.0 gateway 172.16.1.1
( verify that the netmask and gateway are the same as what is
currntly on the "internet IP of the linksys)

Do this by typing (as root)
netconfig

4) Follow the directions from the portforward.com site for forwarding
the IRLP ports. The internal IP will be 172.16.1.100.
http://www.portforward.com/2wire/1000hw-portforwarding.htm

The idea is that the DSL modem already has the router and firewall in
it, all you have to do is use it. By adding the linksys to the chain,
you are using two routers in series, which works OK in principle, but
is a functionally sound as wearing two pairs of sunglasses.

Hope this makes some sense....