Re: Information on how to get (and use) an experimental node assignment

k9dc

The experimental flag has no effect on on regular IRLP connections. IRLP nodes can make authenticated connections to IRLP reflectors, just like before. In your case, Reflector 9617 has a foot in IRLP land, and a second foot in Echolink. That is unchanged.

If someone wants to run an Asterisk box as an IRLP reflector, they can apply for a number and then traditional nodes with the Experimental flag set, can make unauthenticated connections to that Asterisk conference.

Bottom line is there is no effect on your operation on 9617.

Experimental boxes do not have PGP keys, therefore they cannot connect to any traditional IRLP reflectors or nodes. This in effect, allows all of the unauthenticated connections in the background with no impact at all, on the existing standard IRLP installations.

Does that help?...

-k9dc

On Feb 2, 2009, at 10:15, Michael J. Wolthuis wrote:

Dave,

I think maybe my question was badly written or I am not understanding your
response.

Ref9617 is setup for IRLP and Echolink (*MICHIGAN*). Experimental nodes
should be able to call ref9617 right via their external program because it
is a reflector??

The difference is I am not referring to my node at all, but the reflector I
support. Maybe I am confused about what an experimental node actually can
and can not do.

So, someone is running rtpDir and an experimental node. Can it connect to
ref9617 which allows for multiple technologies to co-exist?

Mike

Kb8zgl