Re: node locking up

Butch Bussen

I can't log in once it locks up. It isn't seen on the network, nor does it respond to dtmf codes. All I can do is power down and reboot.
Thanks.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, ve7ltd wrote:

Since the computer seems to be sort of "soft locking" (you can still communicate with it through the network), it may be logging the problems in

/var/log/messages

The contents of the folder

/etc/cron.daily/

are also run around that time every day.

Dave

--- In irlp@..., Butch Bussen <butchb@...> wrote:

I tried scandisk and I don't know what happened, but the machine
wouldn't boot back up. When I had my cousin look at the monitor I got
an invalid boot option error and some numbers which I don't recall.
Anyhow, I restored an image and everything is working fine except for
the lock up. I've determined it is something run in a cron somewhere.
My time and date are set correct, and the machine locks up at around 4
o'clock every morning. This morning, at 3 til, it was fine and when I
again checked at five past 4, it was nonresponsive. Where can I look to
see what is causing this?

Thanks.

73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, John wrote:

Thinking outside the square here Butch,
as I often do when wanting a simple answer..:)

1. Wondering if the Dell has "hibernate" active.
2. I once had a sick HD on my IRLP node and found it
by running 'shutdown -F -r now' (-F = scandisk on reboot -case sensitive)
3. It may also pay to scan the RAM, but I can't locate the command right now.

Goodluck

73 John
6163

On 05-Jan-12 9:25:22 PM, Butch Bussen (butchb@ wrote:
I moved my node to another computer as the old one
wouldn't boot most of
the time. I moved the hard drive, irlp board and sound card. The new
computer is a Del desktop, I forget the model. Everything seems to work
find except every night my node stops responding. I get no response from
touch tone commands, and although I can connect via my terminal program, I
don't
get a login prompt.
I'm thinking this has something to do with the
update that is sent out each night, as the node quits about the same time
in the early morning.As I recall an update is sent out around four
mountain time. This morning at ten til 4 mountain time, node was fine. I
checked again at ten after four and it is locked up again. If I reboot,
it comes back fine. Am I on the right track? What do I look for? I'm
running fc3 and until my computer switch, have had no problems for many
years.