Re: restoring node 7076 with backup file

Butch Bussen

ometimes not being able to read the screen is a royal pain.
I got a neighbor to help me install the latest Debian from the irlp
page. I figured all would be well as in the past once I had the machine
on the network I could log in to the irlp box with my talking computer's
terminal program and do the rest by myself. I have two machines hooked
to this router. When I run ipconfig in xp on my talking computer, it
says its ip is is 192.168.0.115. I figured the irlp box is
192.168.0.114. Other addresses give me a time out with my terminal
program. A telnet attempt on this 192.168.0.114 gives me a "connection
refused." When I try ssh on port 22, this what I get, hope I typed it
right as I couldn't get it to copy to the clipboard.

ttexsecure
couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available):
aes128-ctr,aes192-,ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-gcm@...,aes256-gcm@...,chacha20-poly1305@...)

How do I login to this thing so I can continue with my reinstall as I
use to do? I'm using a terminal program called teraterm which has
always worked before. So we don't clutter things up, feel free to take
this off list.

Thanks.

Butch WA0VJR. nodes 3148, 3028, 7076 maybe

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017, Dave
Gingrich Dave@... [irlp]
wrote:

See the instructions http://www.irlp.net/new-install/Reinstall_from_Backup.pdf

The restore from a backup procedure should work with any version of the OS regardless of the version the backup is from. There is no guarantee that FC3 will run on your “little newer” computer. Personally, I would recommend you upgrade the OS since your node is dead anyway. The process is the same and you will end up with a fully supported node.

One thing to note is that if the installer detects Debian, it will offer the option for a “Clean” re-installation. This means it will pull your node number information, including the PGP keys, but everything else will be completely new, rather than restoring your old environment file and custom directory. You will have to manually re-install any custom features you had running. But There are many features that have been added to IRLP in the last 10 years or so, since FC3 has been obsolete.

Any or all of those options are available to you. If something does not work quite right, just try something else.

-k9dc

On Dec 16, 2017, at 16:20, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

The hard drive in my node 7076 died. I don't have an image of the drive,
but to have the backup.gtz file on a windows machine. This was running
fedora 3 which I have on my other nodes and works well. I thought I'd use
the same computer and just replace the hard drive. I could use a
different and a little newer computer, I think hp 7700, but I know the on
board sound on this Dell works fine. Can I still use fc3? If so, will
your current reinstall script work? It has been a while since I've done
this stuff. I do it on a windows machine with a voice synthesizer and
will need sighted help to get original operating system up and running.
Once the machine is seen on my network, I should be able to do things
using a terminal program and winscp. As mentioned above, this is an
ancient Dell which had been working fine until the drive died and I was
wondering if your latest operating system would work on the old machine.

As always, thanks much for your help, and I hope this makes sense.
Butch WA0VJR, nodes 3148, 3028, and 7076