Re: IPV6?

Butch Bussen

I've always wondered what the difference was between tcp and udp. Write off list if you want to
butchb@...

Thanks.

73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Ralph wrote:

Put the the node's private IP address into the router's DMZ.
Or If you need to, forward the ports IRLP uses to the private IP address of the node. Unless it has changed, they should be TCP ports 15425, 15426, and 15427, as well as UDP ports 2074 through 2093
Quit worrying about IPv6. That is just the transport stuff and is beyond your control.

On 3/29/19, 4:57 PM, "k9dc" <IRLP@irlp.groups.io on behalf of Dave@...> wrote:

To be honest, an IRLP node must be open to the entire public Internet to operate at all. Placing a node behind a firewall on your internal network brings with it, some risk (however small) to the other machines on the same network because you have opened a permanent hole through the firewall from the outside world. Being *outside* the firewall is actually a bit safer. Keeping in mind “safer” means risk to other assets on your network. There is essentially no value at all in the IRLP node itself.

But as I mentioned earlier, it is often difficult or impossible to do that if your IRLP node is in your home. Most IRLP nodes are installed exactly as yours. It is hard to argue with 20 years of successful operation.

When we are asked for a router recommendation, our response is that we recommend that no router or firewall be used if possible. But typically it is rare that works for most users.

-k9dc