From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io [mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io] On Behalf Of David
Cameron - IRLP
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 4:03 PM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [IRLP] StrongVPN config instructions for IRLP

I agree that the tap interface is ideal for what we are doing. It mirrors
plugging the remote node right into the same switch that the server is
plugged into - Total transparent. Of course that means you see all the
broadcast traffic from the LAN segment.

The tun interface is nice because you can have better and more control over
the bandwidth usage, but then you have to perform some fancy routing and
forwarding to make it work.

The tap interface also helps because you don't have to worry about routing
that makes your source IP different from the destination IP.

Dave Cameron

On 2019-06-21 14:23, Jim MacKenzie wrote:
Thanks Dave. I'll have a good look at this and do a tinker or two.

To date I've only used tun-type interfaces with OpenVPN, so I have
some research to do. :)

73
Jim VE5EV