Re: Interesting Node Problem

David Cameron - IRLP

Mick,

I am going to wager a guess that the device that assigns IPs to the Pi node on the mountain has reset, and any specific port forwarding that might be set up.

If the IP of the node behind the router changes, then it breaks any forwarding. BUT, if you are seeing a valid time stamp from the status page, then the node is still there and running. I just checked yours though, and it is showing the last valid timestamp as "Last heard from Node: 18:22:09 on Oct 09 2019 MDT". That was quite a while ago.

If that is BEFORE you started having issues, then I agree the node is probably not responding. Could be a variety of reasons, but SD card is a good place to check first.

You can't offload the bandwidth to a VPS... You still need to talk into and out of the node. To be honest, adding a VPN or some other "go between" will only increase the bandwidth use, not reduce it. However, this may allow you to run on a cheaper Cellular option, as you will not need a routable IP address to the cellular modem. You would use a VPN client in the node, and then connect (free) to an IRLP VPN server and get an AMPR.NET 44. IP address from there. No matter what your port forwarding says, as long as you can "get out" on the internet, it should work.

On 2019-10-10 10:31, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
Hello Group,
I tried to SSH into my node this morning and couldn't. Looking at the
status page listing it shows that it is up and running and has been
running. When I reload the status page it shows a time update. I can
log into the remote modem so it would appear that I have an internet
connection. I can also connect to the test reflector, but no audio
from a test, but I do have the connect and disconnect messages.
Finally, I did a reboot of the node and it rebooted. After the reboot,
the same situation. I'm guessing that with it being a Pi node, it is
probably a corrupted SD card. Any thoughts other than get away from
the Pi? I do not have access to the site, so I can't get there.
Thinking about the above situation and lately working with a VPN/VPS,
it has me wondering if some of the computer load and operations could
be moved to a VPS? Lighten the load on the local computer as well as
my (cellular) internet connection. Just wondering . . .
Untitled Document
Links:
------
[1] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/76146