Re: Speaktime wavplay problem Debian Buster on PiRLP

Rob,

I'll bet Dave C will get you squared away, if not... I'll help ya out, please keep the group informed.

I know Dave C's feeling on this, through the years programmers of "Linux" and it's programs seem to change their flags with no rhyme or reason.

They first broke some of my scripts by deciding that the play program no longer needed the -V flag (volume) so the people using my scripts no longer had control of the scripts volume.

Grrrrrrr lol

>< Dave Parks ><
WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Friday, November 22, 2019, 5:00:22 PM EST, Rob Vance <n6rob.rob@...> wrote:

Thank you Dave & Dave.

@Dave C.  when you have the chance if you can let me know what my options are for getting it to work, or for further diagnostics, I would appreciate it.

@Dave Parks:  to your point I decided to try it another way, interesting results...

repeater@stn3671:~$ key
repeater@stn3671:~$ play /home/irlp/features/speaktime/audio/the_time_is.wav
play WARN alsa: can't encode 0-bit Unknown or not applicable
/home/irlp/features/speaktime/audio/the_time_is.wav:
 File Size: 5.75k     Bit Rate: 64.7k
  Encoding: u-law
  Channels: 1 @ 14-bit
Samplerate: 8000Hz
Replaygain: off
  Duration: 00:00:00.71
In:100%  00:00:00.71 [00:00:00.00] Out:34.1k [      |      ] Hd:1.8 Clip:0
Done.
repeater@stn3671:~$ unkey

So, "play" works but "aplay" doesn't.  Even though "play" just calls "aplay".  Hmmm.

Rob Vance

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:
This whole issue was discussed a while ago, and it all pertains to the
use of the sox program, specifically two flags that are deprecated.

I made updates to the systems that I build, but since I am not the
writer of the original scripts, I was not able to update them.

The problems extend to EchoIRLP as well - same issue - sox is using
arguments that are no longer supported.

I am not in a place that I can pull up the details, sorry.

Dave Cameron