Re: Speaktime wavplay problem Debian Buster on PiRLP

Nick,

I agree with you here but I just don't see the need to make a .ul file convert it to .wav, play it then delete it... but that's just me.

For wave files we have play - alpay - wavplay & wavplay_nice.

For MP3 we have mpg321 which as of Debian WHEEZY is easy to find and install via apt-get, no fuss no muss!

If you're still using FC3 or CentOS 4.9 there is a mpg321 archive on my web site (wb8odf.com) that if installed in the order I have listed there, it has never let me down.

>< Dave Parks ><
WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 5:38:58 PM EST, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

Dave Parks - WB8ODF via Groups.Io wrote:
There is NO REASON to use sox in any of the IRLP scripts, I never understood why Dave C used it.... EVER

sox is a really good tool for converting between various audio formats. If .ul used to be an IRLP standard, but .wav was a later one, I can see why sox would be the obvious way to convert between them.

... or if .wav was always an IRLP standard, but the previous wavplayer left awkward gaps between samples, I can see why "convert them to raw/ul, join them together, convert them back, play as one file" might have seemed like a good idea at the time too.

Meh... See what Dave C suggests

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...