Re: Speaktime wavplay problem Debian Buster on PiRLP

Well... all I can say is, "that's as good an explanation as any"

Nick, try changing the -u and/or -s to -e and let us know if it fixes things... If not, I'll take a look and see if we can/should just remove sox and use aplay.

>< Dave Parks ><
WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Sunday, November 24, 2019, 2:04:55 PM EST, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

Well, when those scripts were made, if you typed

play 1.wav 2.wav 3.wav

The gap between 1 2 and 3 was in the order of two seconds, and it would
vary based on processor load, etc. The solution was to convert the wav
files to .au file (headerless, raw), concatenate them together, then
convert back to a wav file for playing. Really not a big deal, and it
worked well, UNTIL, the sox format changed to remove the -u flag for the
WAV file format. So, what happened is anything that called sox with a -u
flag was then broken.

With aplay, this is no longer required.

These scripts were not written my IRLP, and they are not maintained. If
someone wants to write updated scripts to either remove sox, or fix the
scripts that use sox, then this problem will go away. I fixed the
scripts for the PiRLP and Embedded nodes, but they are very specific,
and do not install well onto nodes that are not set up for them. The
same error exists in EchoIRLP as well - use of sox with the -u or -s flags.

If you take your existing directories and look in the scripts for all
use of "sox" with a -u or -s flag, and change them to -e
unsigned-integer, they should work as they used to.

David Cameron
VE7LTD