Re: PS: [IRLP] IRLP OS and USB Drive

Rick NK7I

I used a stand alone CD-ROM, connected to and powered by the USB, simple and quick.  Cost minimal.

Rick NK7I

On 12/4/2019 8:04 AM, Phil Zocco wrote:

Dave C,

The actual OS will be installed on a solid state drive for node 5960. I am using the USB drive only to boot up and get things going.

Not sure if I misstated my intentions. I was just trying to start the install using a USB drive instead of a SATA CD-ROM. That would entail pulling a drive out of one of my Windows PCs.

Thanks and 73,

Phil N1BOW

From: David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...>

Date: 2019-12-03 10:58 PM (GMT-05:00)

Rufus will not work on some systems. The concept of using win32diskimager is new. Read up on isohybrid for more information. It will only work on the latest debian 10 iso.

I caution against installing the actual OS onto a USB based disk drive, unless it is a USB 3 port and you have a UPS. They will work ok until your first or second power outage.

From: bruce clements <ve3bv.ca@...>

Date: 12/3/19 4:29 PM (GMT-08:00)

I used FAT 32 on my usb stick..I used  Rufus to copy the install file to the stick.

I downloaded the file onto my desktop , then used Rufus to put it on a bootable stick.

I've never used the win32diskImager , so maybe Dave or someone else can let you know.

Bruce Ve3bv

2226

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

From: John <gielisj@...>

Date: 12/3/19 3:29 PM (GMT-08:00)

Subject: PS: [IRLP] IRLP OS and USB Drive

Also, I doubt whether you can copy, verbatim, the content of a ISO CD to a USB
stick, and expect IT to boot.

I will stand corrected !! :)

John