Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT

Rick NK7I

As NASA has permitted hams to rebroadcast space communications (NOT their TV audio) for the last few decades, I'd submit that (in the US) rebroadcast of what launch or earth-space audio NASA puts out on this is also covered, regardless of the original source, which may be commercial.

If NASA covers it, you can rebroadcast NASA and punt it to a reflector so other in in IRLP-dom can link and listen.

It is my strong suggestion that the settings allow listen only on that reflector, except for the station punting audio so that other 'random' audio isn't allowed.  That would require most likely, contact with the reflector owner/mods.

73,
Rick NK7I

On 5/4/2020 10:04 AM, Chris Schwab wrote:
Drifting WAY OT now..

I was looking at 97.113..

(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

You're right, it doesn't specify commercial vs government, but at the time I'm sure 97.113 never considered the possibility of manned commercial operations.

Looping this back to IRLP, if no one else is currently doing this, what would it take to feed the audio? I have the bandwidth and could probably come up with the hardware, I'd just have no idea where to start to get the audio fed into a reflector channel. Would this best be handled on an experimental reflector?

Chris

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 12:27 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

I think the key here is the space shuttle was essentially US government communications. Spacex & Boeing would be commercial.