Re: Networking failing using openvpn

Ramon Gandia

On my node 3288, that IP address is hard coded into
~/scripts/ipupdate
~/scripts/bind_best_server

It seems that if there is poor connectivity, it defaults
to that IP address. With good connectivity, its not an
issue.

Was one of the reason I wanted to lengthen the timeout
value in an earlier post. However, doing so, just
covers up the problem.

--
Ramon AL7X 3288 3289 7254

On 6/10/20 6:52 AM, David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
A big problem is that the server you are showing doesn't exist any more
(142.103.194.4). We need to figure out why that is also. Somewhere,
that ip is hard coded.

Sounds like openvpn is losing the gateway, and not able to recover.

From: k9dc <Dave@...>
Date: 6/10/20 7:27 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Networking failing using openvpn

This is probably because your DNS 1.1.1.1 is not accessible after the
tunnel drops. With DNS dead, your node will not be able to lookup
vpn01.irlp.net.  I would suggest using your local router for DNS (not
1.1.1.1 or other outside nameserver).  The reason is that your local
router will always work regardless of the VPN being there or not.

I would also recommend upgrading to Debian 9 Stretch.  The version of
OpenVPN that comes with 9, is much more robust than Debian 7.

-k9dc

<k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I have a deb 7 jessie node that has the openvpn installed. The
openvpn work fine when booted and gets the 44. ip and works normally for
a day or so. When the provider releases the wan ip it appears that the
node cannot reconnect to get the 44 ip and the message in the log is

> Jun 09 2020 12:07:47 -0400 ipupdate: WARNING - Comms error to server
142.103.194.4. Cant obtain current IP.
> Jun 09 2020 12:15:31 -0400 ipupdate: WARNING - Comms error to server
142.103.194.4. Cant obtain current IP.
> Jun 09 2020 12:41:36 -0400 ipupdate: WARNING - Comms error to server
142.103.194.4. Cant obtain current IP.
> Jun 09 2020 12:43:46 -0400 WARNING - DNS is not setup correctly
> Jun 09 2020 12:47:57 -0400 ipupdate: WARNING - Comms error to server
142.103.194.4. Cant obtain current IP.

> The resolv.conf is set up to use 1.1.1.1, the same is set up in the
networking file.

> Once you reboot the pc all is good again. Is there anything I should
check or is there a solution to this. It only happens when using the vpn.