Re: static address

bobgau57

This is an embedded node with an updated flash drive and the latest version of debian. it was/is running fine and i would not have known it changed but when scanning my lan for another issue, not with irlp node,
my node was not showing up. when i logged in and ran ifconfig the address showed as .209. it was setup as a static address and has been .150 for over a year since the flash drive was updated.
Why the change of the static address all on its own and how do I change it back when netconfig command fails.

On Dec 16, 2020, at 2:47 PM, Allan Dunn, K1UCY <always_faithful@...> wrote:

We had that happen multiple times with an older version of Debian that would then not allow netconfig to work. It seems to relate to the IRLP card overheating.

On Dec 16, 2020, at 2:50 PM, bobgau57 <bobgau@...> wrote:

My node has always had a static ip and why it changed to .209 from .150 I’m just not sure but would still like to change it back

Sent by Bob Gauthier

On Dec 16, 2020, at 1:31 PM, Rick Szajkowski <va3rzs2@...> wrote:

Great idea Rick , but some routers do not do this , mine don’t all DHCP sit about 300 and I set static IPs below that

Again good idea but if you have always set static ip up in the system itself , best to stay that way

Richard Szajkowski VA3RZS,VA3ZJ,VE3BTE

On Dec 16, 2020, at 2:19 PM, Rick NK7I <Rick.NK7I@...> wrote:

While it may not fix your present issue, if you use a router, it's often 'best' to 'reserve' an address for specific hardware (node box, printers, radio scanners, cameras etc.) in the router so that the same assignment is always given to that hardware.  This is done using the MAC address of each device needing a reservation.  Form of connection (wire/wifi) doesn't matter.  Each device can then safely use DHCP (or static).

While that may involve some hours of setup for everything on your LAN, the results are worth the effort (even if the node is placed in the DMZ of the router); that device is then ALWAYS at the expected IP address.

I also 'cluster' the assignments in blocks according to discipline (cameras are .xxx+, printers are .yyy+, computers are .zzz+ etc) for my sanity preservation.  I have an embarrassing amount of 'stuff' routinely connected to the LAN, often over 35 devices (and I live by myself); which proves I enjoy having a lot of toys?

Merry Christmas es 73,
Rick NK7I
7962

On 12/16/2020 11:05 AM, bobgau57 wrote:
my static address changed itself from xxx.xxx.xxx.150 to 209, the netconfig command returns debian no longer uses netconfig and to use wicd.curses which I seem to remember
Dave advising against. any help would be appreciated. thank you
VA4BG