Re: static address

bobgau57

Thanks Dave

On Dec 16, 2020, at 7:37 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@irlp.net> wrote:

The best place to set this, and likely the only place on your current software is to edit the file:

/etc/network/interfaces

Use the editor nano:

nano /etc/network/interfaces

There are examples in there (or should be) of setting the IP static or dynamic.

For yours, you will want to comment out the dhcp lines, and add the static lines:

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.150
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

The problem with netconfig is that Debian keeps changing the output from programs like ifconfig, ip, and others. TO make one version of the script that works for all situations is proving impossible.

Dave Cameron

On 2020-12-16 11:50 a.m., bobgau57 wrote:
My node has always had a static ip and why it changed to .209 from .150 I’m just not sure but would still like to change it back
Sent by Bob Gauthier
On Dec 16, 2020, at 1:31 PM, Rick Szajkowski <va3rzs2@gmail.com> wrote:

Great idea Rick , but some routers do not do this , mine don’t all DHCP sit about 300 and I set static IPs below that

Again good idea but if you have always set static ip up in the system itself , best to stay that way

Richard Szajkowski VA3RZS,VA3ZJ,VE3BTE

On Dec 16, 2020, at 2:19 PM, Rick NK7I <Rick.NK7I@gmail.com> wrote:

While it may not fix your present issue, if you use a router, it's often 'best' to 'reserve' an address for specific hardware (node box, printers, radio scanners, cameras etc.) in the router so that the same assignment is always given to that hardware. This is done using the MAC address of each device needing a reservation. Form of connection (wire/wifi) doesn't matter. Each device can then safely use DHCP (or static).

While that may involve some hours of setup for everything on your LAN, the results are worth the effort (even if the node is placed in the DMZ of the router); that device is then ALWAYS at the expected IP address.

I also 'cluster' the assignments in blocks according to discipline (cameras are .xxx+, printers are .yyy+, computers are .zzz+ etc) for my sanity preservation. I have an embarrassing amount of 'stuff' routinely connected to the LAN, often over 35 devices (and I live by myself); which proves I enjoy having a lot of toys?

Merry Christmas es 73,
Rick NK7I
7962

On 12/16/2020 11:05 AM, bobgau57 wrote:
my static address changed itself from xxx.xxx.xxx.150 to 209, the netconfig command returns debian no longer uses netconfig and to use wicd.curses which I seem to remember
Dave advising against. any help would be appreciated. thank you
VA4BG