Re: Running IRLP from within the AREDN Mesh

Dave K9DC

You can set the hostname to anything you want (one of mine is named “tigger”).  But the default after completing a normal installation is your stnXXXX number. In my case stn4730, even though my PGP KeyID is stn473.

To pass troubleshoot-irlp, whatever you name your host, needs to be mentioned in the  /etc/hosts file on a line that contains 127.0.0.1, so it always works.

There are two components to hostname.
1. The file /etc/hostname which is read in when logging in to your machine or bootup. You need to edit this file to permanently change your hostname.
2. The ‘hostname’ command which allows you to set or display the current hostname

However, if you move your node to a different network and rely upon DHCP to set your new IP address, chances are good that your nameserver configuration is different, perhaps even your local hostname changes.  You can limit the changes DHCP imposes by editing /etc/dhcpcd.conf and /etc/resolvconf.conf (and perhaps others referenced in the files). There are detailed man pages on board that detail how each is configured.

WRT 3-digit vs 4-digit
If we perform number recovery for someone that has a legacy (3-digit) PGP key, the new PGP key will be 4-digit. It is slightly preferable for everyone to have a 4-digit KeyID. But there certainly is no need to force a change on everybody. It creates a ton of work for us and we (installs team) have to log in to each node to do it, a real PIA. Therefore we only update it when somebody already has a support ticket open to recover a number, requiring new PGP anyway.

Bottom line is, don’t get too hung up on not being able to resolve your own hostname and certainly whether your PGP KeyID is 3 or 4 digits. The only place that matters is in the environment file the variable STATIONID= Must exactly match your actual PGP KeyID. If it does not, your node will not work at all.

-k9dc

On Jul 16, 2021, at 08:50, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

Rick NK7I wrote:
So, edit the file, use the hostname program to set the hostname to the OS (belts AND suspenders), reboot.

Then try to resolve it again, as stn3000 please.

Mine is 3-digit as well, was since long before I inherited it:

Your node's hostname is set to stn241
Testing if your hostname resolves .... done.
TEST No. 4 REPORT - PASS - Your host name resolves OK.

In fact I pass ALL tests with "stn241", and always have done.

How sure are you that I should add a zero as well? Looking at all the scripts, they seem to handle 3-digit AND 4-digit hostnames quite nicely. I know incoming users DIAL 2410, but all the scripts seem to expect my hostname to be stn241 WITHOUT the 0, and/or to handle it fine if it is. No?

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...