Date   
Re: 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

KD1YH Paul <bsrt@...>
 

Well I pay enough for internet and it did work so I keep bit@@
 
Paul KD1YH node 4651
 
 

From: Rick Szajkowski
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2020 12:34 PM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [IRLP] 15425 thru 15427 via comcast
 
Bridge mode is the way to go , I have a couple people I had to do that for for voip reasons and remote access to there computer 
 


Richard Szajkowski 
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On May 7, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Randy N9NWA <rbzabel@...> wrote:

Yes
I had Comcast put my cable modem in bypass mode, note wireless is off in thad mode.

I use my own router to do forwarding!


Sent from Xfinity Connect Application


-----Original Message-----

From: bsrt@...
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: 2020-05-07 11:08:28 AM
Subject: [IRLP] 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?

 

Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.

 

Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue

 

Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433



Re: 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

k9dc
 

I cannot speak to the xfi app, but you should have no trouble logging in to their router and setting it up. At least it was pretty easy back when I had Comcast.

-k9dc

On May 7, 2020, at 12:07, KD1YH Paul <bsrt@...> wrote:

Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?

Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.

Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue

Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433

Re: 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

David Cameron - IRLP
 

The way to troubleshoot this best is to use the traceroute application. When you are behind a router, you will often see some "non-routable" IPs between you and "the internet".

traceroute -n 1.1.1.1

This is what I get when I am on the server, without a router:

traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 142.103.194.30 0.356 ms 0.326 ms 0.329 ms
2 142.103.134.214 0.753 ms 0.960 ms 1.023 ms
3 137.82.88.125 0.669 ms 0.532 ms 0.862 ms
4 134.87.0.58 1.460 ms 1.297 ms 1.420 ms
5 206.41.104.52 1.686 ms 2.278 ms 1.655 ms
6 1.1.1.1 1.194 ms 1.197 ms 1.263 ms


This is what I get, behind a single router:

traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.6.1 0.515 ms 0.622 ms 0.743 ms <--- THIS IS MY ROUTER
2 142.179.44.1 22.403 ms 23.403 ms 24.226 ms
3 96.1.211.49 25.799 ms 30.243 ms 27.960 ms
4 154.11.12.198 27.708 ms 28.603 ms 29.619 ms
5 206.41.104.52 32.073 ms 32.527 ms 32.608 ms
6 1.1.1.1 33.091 ms 33.988 ms 36.203 ms

This is what you likely see (behind 2 routers):

traceroute to 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.6.1 0.515 ms 0.622 ms 0.743 ms <--- THIS IS ROUTER 1
2 192.168.0.254 0.915 ms 0.922 ms 0.943 ms <--- THIS IS ROUTER 2
3 142.179.44.1 22.403 ms 23.403 ms 24.226 ms
4 96.1.211.49 25.799 ms 30.243 ms 27.960 ms
5 154.11.12.198 27.708 ms 28.603 ms 29.619 ms
6 206.41.104.52 32.073 ms 32.527 ms 32.608 ms
7 1.1.1.1 33.091 ms 33.988 ms 36.203 ms

This is known as a double-NAT and it happens a lot. In a case like this you need to either put router 2 in bridge mode, or make sure that the router 2 either has router 1 as it's DMZ IP address, or forward the ports through router 2 to router 1, then from router 1 to the node.

Or, just use IRLP VPN :)

Dave Cameron

On 2020-05-07 10:39 a.m., Randy N9NWA wrote:
Yes
I had Comcast put my cable modem in bypass mode, note wireless is off in thad mode.
I use my own router to do forwarding!
Sent from Xfinity Connect Application
-----Original Message-----
From: bsrt@...
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: 2020-05-07 11:08:28 AM
Subject: [IRLP] 15425 thru 15427 via comcast
Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?
Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.
Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue
Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433

Re: 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

Rick Szajkowski
 

Bridge mode is the way to go , I have a couple people I had to do that for for voip reasons and remote access to there computer 



Richard Szajkowski 
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On May 7, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Randy N9NWA <rbzabel@...> wrote:

Yes
I had Comcast put my cable modem in bypass mode, note wireless is off in thad mode.

I use my own router to do forwarding!


Sent from Xfinity Connect Application


-----Original Message-----

From: bsrt@...
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: 2020-05-07 11:08:28 AM
Subject: [IRLP] 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?

 

Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.

 

Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue

 

Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433



Re: 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

Randy N9NWA
 

Yes
I had Comcast put my cable modem in bypass mode, note wireless is off in thad mode.

I use my own router to do forwarding!


Sent from Xfinity Connect Application


-----Original Message-----

From: bsrt@...
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: 2020-05-07 11:08:28 AM
Subject: [IRLP] 15425 thru 15427 via comcast

Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?

 

Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.

 

Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue

 

Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433



15425 thru 15427 via comcast

KD1YH Paul <bsrt@...>
 

Has anybody having issues with port forwarding working on Comcast?

 

Been trying to fix 15425 thru 15427 for irlp thru their xfi ap, and it don’t work, the help group have the same issue.

 

Is it only me? node 8581 has the same issue

 

Paul KD1YH nodes 4651,8581,8433

Re: Node Time Out

Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
 

David, thank you, that got it!
Al


On May 5, 2020, at 4:56 PM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:


As I said below, you must be root to edit the environment file.  

su  -
<password>
cd /home/irlp/custom
pico -w environment

-k9dc

On May 5, 2020, at 19:09, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:


I want to thank everyone who responded to my question on node timeout.
I was able to edit the file for Repeater timeout in Environment, using Putty,  however when I  try to save the change using ^O in Nano editor I get the message: "Error writing custom/environment: Permission denied"  I'm wondering if I have to save this change in some other fashion.
Al
W6AAX


From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> on behalf of Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:14 AM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Node Time Out
 
Thank you
I’ll go the route where I will leave the default time out  for nodes and disable the time out for reflectors.
Al
> On Apr 30, 2020, at 9:41 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>
> 
> There are two inactivity timeouts. One for node to node, the other for Reflector calls.  Default values are 240 seconds and 1200 seconds respectively.  Node to node is set in the file custom/timeoutvalue. The reflector timeout is set in the environment file.
>
> export REFLECT_TIMEOUT_VALUE=43200
>
> Set it to the value you want. Although I would NOT suggest disabling it completely, rather set it to a value long enough for your requirements. 
>
> An even better option is if you have a particular reflector you hang out on and want that destination to never time out. Simply add an entry in custom_decode such that a particular destination is configured with the “notimeout" flag set, to not time out.
>
> For example, I have three reflectors set to not time out, all others time out normally. custom/custom_decode entries below.
>
> if [ "$1" = "9200" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9200 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9600" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9600 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9735" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9735 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
>
>
> pico -w custom/custom_decode
> pico -w custom/environment
>
> You need to be root to edit the environment file.  Just be very careful, a single keystroke mistake can render your node totally inoperative. 
>
> -k9dc
>
>
>> On Apr 30, 2020, at 12:19, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:
>>
>> Can I get an explanation on how to disable the node time out timer in the software?  My node disconnects from other nodes and reflectors after approximately  thirty minutes of being idle.  I understand that the environment file has to updated. How can I get to that directory and file after log in from Putty. And then what value needs to be changed? 
>> Thank you and 73,
>> Al
>> W6AAX
>
>
>
>
>



Re: Node Time Out

Milt Duquette
 

Pico /home/irlp/custom/environment

Scroll down to:

# Sets the reflector timeout value in seconds
# If you do not want the reflectors to timeout at all, just enter 0
export REFLECTOR_TIMEOUT_VALUE=10200



Then you have exit. Ctrl x, it asks you to save  y for yes, hit enter and then ctrl x for exit and reboot modem. 10200 is 170 minutes that is what mine is set for long nets


On May 5, 2020, at 5:56 PM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:


As I said below, you must be root to edit the environment file.  

su  -
<password>
cd /home/irlp/custom
pico -w environment

-k9dc

On May 5, 2020, at 19:09, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:


I want to thank everyone who responded to my question on node timeout.
I was able to edit the file for Repeater timeout in Environment, using Putty,  however when I  try to save the change using ^O in Nano editor I get the message: "Error writing custom/environment: Permission denied"  I'm wondering if I have to save this change in some other fashion.
Al
W6AAX


From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> on behalf of Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:14 AM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Node Time Out
 
Thank you
I’ll go the route where I will leave the default time out  for nodes and disable the time out for reflectors.
Al
> On Apr 30, 2020, at 9:41 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>
> 
> There are two inactivity timeouts. One for node to node, the other for Reflector calls.  Default values are 240 seconds and 1200 seconds respectively.  Node to node is set in the file custom/timeoutvalue. The reflector timeout is set in the environment file.
>
> export REFLECT_TIMEOUT_VALUE=43200
>
> Set it to the value you want. Although I would NOT suggest disabling it completely, rather set it to a value long enough for your requirements. 
>
> An even better option is if you have a particular reflector you hang out on and want that destination to never time out. Simply add an entry in custom_decode such that a particular destination is configured with the “notimeout" flag set, to not time out.
>
> For example, I have three reflectors set to not time out, all others time out normally. custom/custom_decode entries below.
>
> if [ "$1" = "9200" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9200 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9600" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9600 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9735" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9735 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
>
>
> pico -w custom/custom_decode
> pico -w custom/environment
>
> You need to be root to edit the environment file.  Just be very careful, a single keystroke mistake can render your node totally inoperative. 
>
> -k9dc
>
>
>> On Apr 30, 2020, at 12:19, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:
>>
>> Can I get an explanation on how to disable the node time out timer in the software?  My node disconnects from other nodes and reflectors after approximately  thirty minutes of being idle.  I understand that the environment file has to updated. How can I get to that directory and file after log in from Putty. And then what value needs to be changed? 
>> Thank you and 73,
>> Al
>> W6AAX
>
>
>
>
>



Re: Node Time Out

k9dc
 


As I said below, you must be root to edit the environment file.  

su  -
<password>
cd /home/irlp/custom
pico -w environment

-k9dc

On May 5, 2020, at 19:09, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:


I want to thank everyone who responded to my question on node timeout.
I was able to edit the file for Repeater timeout in Environment, using Putty,  however when I  try to save the change using ^O in Nano editor I get the message: "Error writing custom/environment: Permission denied"  I'm wondering if I have to save this change in some other fashion.
Al
W6AAX


From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> on behalf of Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:14 AM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Node Time Out
 
Thank you
I’ll go the route where I will leave the default time out  for nodes and disable the time out for reflectors.
Al
> On Apr 30, 2020, at 9:41 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>
> 
> There are two inactivity timeouts. One for node to node, the other for Reflector calls.  Default values are 240 seconds and 1200 seconds respectively.  Node to node is set in the file custom/timeoutvalue. The reflector timeout is set in the environment file.
>
> export REFLECT_TIMEOUT_VALUE=43200
>
> Set it to the value you want. Although I would NOT suggest disabling it completely, rather set it to a value long enough for your requirements. 
>
> An even better option is if you have a particular reflector you hang out on and want that destination to never time out. Simply add an entry in custom_decode such that a particular destination is configured with the “notimeout" flag set, to not time out.
>
> For example, I have three reflectors set to not time out, all others time out normally. custom/custom_decode entries below.
>
> if [ "$1" = "9200" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9200 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9600" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9600 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9735" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9735 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
>
>
> pico -w custom/custom_decode
> pico -w custom/environment
>
> You need to be root to edit the environment file.  Just be very careful, a single keystroke mistake can render your node totally inoperative. 
>
> -k9dc
>
>
>> On Apr 30, 2020, at 12:19, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:
>>
>> Can I get an explanation on how to disable the node time out timer in the software?  My node disconnects from other nodes and reflectors after approximately  thirty minutes of being idle.  I understand that the environment file has to updated. How can I get to that directory and file after log in from Putty. And then what value needs to be changed? 
>> Thank you and 73,
>> Al
>> W6AAX
>
>
>
>
>



Re: Node Time Out

Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
 

I want to thank everyone who responded to my question on node timeout.
I was able to edit the file for Repeater timeout in Environment, using Putty,  however when I  try to save the change using ^O in Nano editor I get the message: "Error writing custom/environment: Permission denied"  I'm wondering if I have to save this change in some other fashion.
Al
W6AAX


From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> on behalf of Albert Febraro <w6aax@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:14 AM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Node Time Out
 
Thank you
I’ll go the route where I will leave the default time out  for nodes and disable the time out for reflectors.
Al
> On Apr 30, 2020, at 9:41 AM, k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>
> 
> There are two inactivity timeouts. One for node to node, the other for Reflector calls.  Default values are 240 seconds and 1200 seconds respectively.  Node to node is set in the file custom/timeoutvalue. The reflector timeout is set in the environment file.
>
> export REFLECT_TIMEOUT_VALUE=43200
>
> Set it to the value you want. Although I would NOT suggest disabling it completely, rather set it to a value long enough for your requirements. 
>
> An even better option is if you have a particular reflector you hang out on and want that destination to never time out. Simply add an entry in custom_decode such that a particular destination is configured with the “notimeout" flag set, to not time out.
>
> For example, I have three reflectors set to not time out, all others time out normally. custom/custom_decode entries below.
>
> if [ "$1" = "9200" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9200 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9600" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9600 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
> if [ "$1" = "9735" ] ; then "$SCRIPT"/connect_to_reflector ref9735 notimeout ; exit 1 ; fi
>
>
> pico -w custom/custom_decode
> pico -w custom/environment
>
> You need to be root to edit the environment file.  Just be very careful, a single keystroke mistake can render your node totally inoperative. 
>
> -k9dc
>
>
>> On Apr 30, 2020, at 12:19, Albert Febraro <w6aax@...> wrote:
>>
>> Can I get an explanation on how to disable the node time out timer in the software?  My node disconnects from other nodes and reflectors after approximately  thirty minutes of being idle.  I understand that the environment file has to updated. How can I get to that directory and file after log in from Putty. And then what value needs to be changed? 
>> Thank you and 73,
>> Al
>> W6AAX
>
>
>
>
>



Re: IRLP Discussion Group - Digest #491

w7aor
 

I used to carry Space Audio on a Western Reflector channel (9250-9259). Never a problem as the Reflector was and still is on redundant main fiber network in and out of Las Vegas. We carried sometimes over 100 connections, as I recall.   The last STS mission carried on the Western Reflector was when the STS burned up (defects in wing heat shields) as I remember. We waited and waited and finally got fragments of MC, but was cut off as they took charge,  didn’t want internal discussions to go public. You can imagine the anguish of having the STS and crew burned up. The audio was also carried via NASA web site.

 

If you find out how get audio that is approved to be carried, the Western Reflector, I would be happy to carry it. On the WR we have Echo link integrated with IRLP so you may choose of listening to IRLP or Echo link Conference using any of the appropriate means including the Smart Phone EL App.

 

73

 

Kent Johnson W7AOR

Chair, NARRI.org and N7ARR/N7NDS repeaters

702-452-4412  

 

 

From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <IRLP@irlp.groups.io> On Behalf Of IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 3:34 PM
To: w7aor@...
Subject: [IRLP] IRLP Discussion Group - Digest #491

 

This is a digest for IRLP Discussion Group. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.

Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.

Topics in this digest:

.

1.

NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT (10)

2.

DTMF Regen level (2)

messages:

.

1a. 

NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 08:36:38 PDT

Good morning!

During the space shuttle era there was at least one IRLP reflector
that carried the NASA TV audio during space shuttle missions. While I
agree that times have changed and there are other means of following
the missions, it was nice to be able to follow along during the
mission while out driving around by listening in on the audio via
IRLP.

With Spacex (and Boeing) soon to be launching manned missions, is
anyone carrying this audio still, or are there plans to?

Thanks,
Chris N4BSA
IRLP 4647

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1b. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 09:27:52 PDT

I think the key here is the space shuttle was essentially US government communications. Spacex & Boeing would be commercial.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1c. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:04:43 PDT

Drifting WAY OT now..

 

I was looking at 97.113.. 

 

(c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating from any type of radio station other than an amateur station, except propagation and weather forecast information intended for use by the general public and originated from United States Government stations, and communications, including incidental music, originating on United States Government frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth stations. Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications retransmissions must be obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Such retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio operators. Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.

 

You're right, it doesn't specify commercial vs government, but at the time I'm sure 97.113 never considered the possibility of manned commercial operations. 


Looping this back to IRLP, if no one else is currently doing this, what would it take to feed the audio? I have the bandwidth and could probably come up with the hardware, I'd just have no idea where to start to get the audio fed into a reflector channel. Would this best be handled on an experimental reflector?

Chris
 

 

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1d. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:19:50 PDT

Maybe in the fact that you (or any user) is not being compensated it may be okay. Still not sure I would go there.

As for picking up the feed. That may not be nearly as available as you may think or hope for. Since it is business it may be pretty hidden and for that matter, encrypted. Since they are fairly new at this, I'm sure if something goes wrong they aren't going to want everyone to hear what is going on. I will guess they are going to protect themselves.

IF (big if) it is available, I would just look for space (no pun intended) on a normal reflector so if someone would like to connect to it, it would be easy to do.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1e. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Rick Bates, NK7I
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 10:40:16 PDT

As NASA has permitted hams to rebroadcast space communications (NOT their TV audio) for the last few decades, I'd submit that (in the US) rebroadcast of what launch or earth-space audio NASA puts out on this is also covered, regardless of the original source, which may be commercial.

If NASA covers it, you can rebroadcast NASA and punt it to a reflector so other in in IRLP-dom can link and listen. 

It is my strong suggestion that the settings allow listen only on that reflector, except for the station punting audio so that other 'random' audio isn't allowed.  That would require most likely, contact with the reflector owner/mods.

73,
Rick NK7I

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1f. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Phil Zocco
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:07:06 PDT

The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all listened in.

 

If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham at SpaceX or Boeing could help.

 

The NASA feeds had great audio. The highlight for me was when we were listening to one of the Space Shuttle crews doing major replacement work on the Hubbell Telescope.

 

Anyway, my $0.02

 

73,

 

Phil N1BOW

Nodes 5960 and 4656

AMT MP 113.6

Niantic, CT USA Earth

 

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1g. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Chris Schwab
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:14:01 PDT

I was thinking you could just grab the audio from Youtube though I'm not sure how to get that audio to the reflector if there wasn't a better feed available. Of course I'd ask permission of the reflector owner, though I'm missing the piece of how to make the pieces in the middle work.

 

Chris

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1h. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
Bob Dengler
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 12:57:20 PDT

At 5/4/2020 11:07 AM, you wrote:

The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all listened in.
Â
If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham at SpaceX or Boeing could help.

The launch will be carried on the NASA web page:

<
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-provide-coverage-of-spacex-commercial-crew-test-flight-with-astronauts>

We have plans to retransmit this onto the JPLARC's 147.150 repeater in La Canada. I may also carry it on my local open system, which covers some of the greater LA area: 445.080 (-) PL-103.5.

Bob NO6B

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1i. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
David Cameron - IRLP
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 14:09:27 PDT

Yes this is what needs to happen:
1) You need a high quality stream of the audio
2) You need a node that is designated to stream the audio into the system.
3) Someone needs to make a VOX controller or some type that will do two things:
- Detect when there is audio and close a contact, connected to the COS of the node, and start/stop the stream of audio
- Not allow a continuous audio stream / COS trigger for more than 3 minutes.

Then you work with the reflector owner to set up a channel as listen only, then define the node as the "talking station". This is easy to do, and will be made easier once new reflector control software is made later this month.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

1j. 

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
From:
pete damron
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 14:28:59 PDT

If I unsubscribe to this feed below.....will I still get other Irlp groups of interest.

 

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

2a. 

DTMF Regen level
From:
Rich Ball
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 15:26:36 PDT

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the DTMF regen level independently of the alsamixer control?
  

Thanks,

Rich, WA2ZPX
Node 4130

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

2b. 

Re: DTMF Regen level
From:
David Cameron - IRLP
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 15:33:41 PDT

In the dtmfregen script is the following:

if [ -z "$DIAL_OPTIONS" ] ; then
${DIAL} --volume 25 ${1}p
else
${DIAL} ${DIAL_OPTIONS} ${1}p
fi

That means by default the "volume" is set at 25. If you look at the dial program, there are many options.

$ ./dial --?
usage: dial [options] number ...
Valid options with their default values are:
Duration options:
--tone-time 100
--silent-time 50
--sleep-time 500
Audio output options:
--output-dev /dev/dsp
--use-audio 1
--bufsize 4096
--speed 8000
--bits 8
Audio generation options:
--table-size 256
--volume 100
--left 0
--right 0

If you want to edit the options, such as lowering the volume to 10, use the environment file:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10"

If you want to change the tone-time or silent-time, you can do that too:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10 --tone-time 50 --silent-time 20"

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic

You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to IRLP@irlp.groups.io via w7aor@.... You can unsubscribe here.

 

Re: DTMF Regen level

Nosey Nick VA3NNW
 

David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
If you look at what ${DIAL} does (what is called in the script), it
prefixes it with aoss, and allows it to run and mix with the audio.
Look at common-functions.sh in the scripts directory.
AHA! A previous maintainer of my node had called bin/dial directly,
rather than using $DIAL which works much better thanks!   :-)

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Buses turn up within seconds of your lighting a cigarette.

Re: DTMF Regen level

David Cameron - IRLP
 

If you look at what ${DIAL} does (what is called in the script), it prefixes it with aoss, and allows it to run and mix with the audio.

Look at common-functions.sh in the scripts directory.

Dave Cameron

On 04/05/2020 7:13 p.m., Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:
David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
If you look at the dial program, there are many options.
$ ./dial --?
usage: dial [options] number ...
Unfortunately on the Pi, it also says:

$ ./bin/dial --tone-time 50 --silent-time 50 --volume 30 73
/dev/dsp: Permission denied

... which I think implies it's trying to use to old obsolete sound system?
Is that a bug, or a config issue?

Cheers!
Nick VA3NNW

Re: DTMF Regen level

Nosey Nick VA3NNW
 

David Cameron - IRLP wrote:
If you look at the dial program, there are many options.
$ ./dial --?
usage: dial [options] number ...
Unfortunately on the Pi, it also says:

$ ./bin/dial --tone-time 50 --silent-time 50 --volume 30 73
/dev/dsp: Permission denied

... which I think implies it's trying to use to old obsolete sound system?
Is that a bug, or a config issue?

Cheers!
Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Majority, n.: That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law.

Re: DTMF Regen level

Phil Zocco
 

As root, type “pico –w /home/irlp/custom/environment” (minus the quotes)

 

Look for:

 

# This sets a user defined level for regenerated touch tones

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 80"

 

Change your volume level here.

 

73,

 

Phil N1BOW

Nodes 5960 and 4656

AMT MP 113.6

Niantic, CT USA Earth

 

 

From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io [mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rich Ball
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 6:27 PM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: [IRLP] DTMF Regen level

 

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the DTMF regen level independently of the alsamixer control?  

Thanks,

Rich, WA2ZPX
Node 4130

Re: DTMF Regen level

Rich Ball
 

Great!!  Thanks for the quick response Dave..  I'll try it out!!

Best,

Rich

Re: DTMF Regen level

David Cameron - IRLP
 

In the dtmfregen script is the following:

if [ -z "$DIAL_OPTIONS" ] ; then
${DIAL} --volume 25 ${1}p
else
${DIAL} ${DIAL_OPTIONS} ${1}p
fi

That means by default the "volume" is set at 25. If you look at the dial program, there are many options.

$ ./dial --?
usage: dial [options] number ...
Valid options with their default values are:
Duration options:
--tone-time 100
--silent-time 50
--sleep-time 500
Audio output options:
--output-dev /dev/dsp
--use-audio 1
--bufsize 4096
--speed 8000
--bits 8
Audio generation options:
--table-size 256
--volume 100
--left 0
--right 0

If you want to edit the options, such as lowering the volume to 10, use the environment file:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10"

If you want to change the tone-time or silent-time, you can do that too:

export DIAL_OPTIONS="--volume 10 --tone-time 50 --silent-time 20"

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2020-05-04 3:26 p.m., Rich Ball wrote:
Hi,
Is there a way to adjust the DTMF regen level independently of the alsamixer control?
Thanks,
Rich, WA2ZPX
Node 4130

DTMF Regen level

Rich Ball
 

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the DTMF regen level independently of the alsamixer control?  

Thanks,

Rich, WA2ZPX
Node 4130

Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT

pete damron
 

If I unsubscribe to this feed below.....will I still get other Irlp groups of interest.


On Mon, May 4, 2020, 2:57 PM Bob Dengler <no6b@...> wrote:
At 5/4/2020 11:07 AM, you wrote:
>The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all listened in.

>If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham at SpaceX or Boeing could help.

The launch will be carried on the NASA web page:

<https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-provide-coverage-of-spacex-commercial-crew-test-flight-with-astronauts>

We have plans to retransmit this onto the JPLARC's 147.150 repeater in La Canada.  I may also carry it on my local open system, which covers some of the greater LA area: 445.080 (-) PL-103.5.

Bob NO6B




Re: NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT

David Cameron - IRLP
 

Yes this is what needs to happen:
1) You need a high quality stream of the audio
2) You need a node that is designated to stream the audio into the system.
3) Someone needs to make a VOX controller or some type that will do two things:
- Detect when there is audio and close a contact, connected to the COS of the node, and start/stop the stream of audio
- Not allow a continuous audio stream / COS trigger for more than 3 minutes.

Then you work with the reflector owner to set up a channel as listen only, then define the node as the "talking station". This is easy to do, and will be made easier once new reflector control software is made later this month.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2020-05-04 11:13 a.m., Chris Schwab wrote:
I was thinking you could just grab the audio from Youtube though I'm not sure how to get that audio to the reflector if there wasn't a better feed available. Of course I'd ask permission of the reflector owner, though I'm missing the piece of how to make the pieces in the middle work.
Chris
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 2:07 PM Phil Zocco <n1bow@... <mailto:n1bow@...>> wrote:
The NASA feed way back when was provided by a ham who worked at JPL
in Pasadena, CA. His feed went into one of the reflectors and we all
listened in. ____
__ __
If things are now private, maybe someone who is a ham or knows a ham
at SpaceX or Boeing could help.____
__ __
The NASA feeds had great audio. The highlight for me was when we
were listening to one of the Space Shuttle crews doing major
replacement work on the Hubbell Telescope. ____
__ __
Anyway, my $0.02 ____
__ __
73,____
__ __
Phil N1BOW____
Nodes 5960 and 4656____
AMT MP 113.6____
Niantic, CT USA Earth____
__ __
*From:*IRLP@irlp.groups.io <mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
[mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io <mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io>] *On Behalf
Of *Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
*Sent:* Monday, May 04, 2020 1:19 PM
*To:* IRLP@irlp.groups.io <mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [IRLP] NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT____
__ __
Maybe in the fact that you (or any user) is not being compensated it
may be okay. Still not sure I would go there.____
As for picking up the feed. That may not be nearly as available as
you may think or hope for. Since it is business it may be pretty
hidden and for that matter, encrypted. Since they are fairly new at
this, I'm sure if something goes wrong they aren't going to want
everyone to hear what is going on. I will guess they are going to
protect themselves.____
IF (big if) it is available, I would just look for space (no pun
intended) on a normal reflector so if someone would like to connect
to it, it would be easy to do.____
Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Schwab
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 11:04:06 AM
Subject: Re: [IRLP] NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT

> Drifting WAY OT now..
>
> I was looking at 97.113..
>
> (c) No station shall retransmit programs or signals emanating
from any type
> of radio station other than an amateur station, except
propagation and
> weather forecast information intended for use by the general
public and
> originated from United States Government stations, and
communications,
> including incidental music, originating on United States Government
> frequencies between a manned spacecraft and its associated Earth
stations.
> Prior approval for manned spacecraft communications
retransmissions must be
> obtained from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Such
> retransmissions must be for the exclusive use of amateur radio
operators.
> Propagation, weather forecasts, and manned spacecraft communications
> retransmissions may not be conducted on a regular basis, but only
> occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio communications.
>
> You're right, it doesn't specify commercial vs government, but at
the time
> I'm sure 97.113 never considered the possibility of manned
commercial
> operations.
>
> Looping this back to IRLP, if no one else is currently doing
this, what
> would it take to feed the audio? I have the bandwidth and could
probably
> come up with the hardware, I'd just have no idea where to start
to get the
> audio fed into a reflector channel. Would this best be handled on an
> experimental reflector?
>
> Chris
>
>
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 12:27 PM Teton Amateur Radio Repeater
Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
>
> > I think the key here is the space shuttle was essentially US
government
> > communications. Spacex & Boeing would be commercial.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Chris Schwab
> > To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io <mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io>
> > Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 09:36:01 AM
> > Subject: [IRLP] NASA Audio Broadcast - Slightly OT
> >
> > > Good morning!
> > >
> > > During the space shuttle era there was at least one IRLP
reflector
> > > that carried the NASA TV audio during space shuttle missions.
While I
> > > agree that times have changed and there are other means of
following
> > > the missions, it was nice to be able to follow along during the
> > > mission while out driving around by listening in on the audio
via
> > > IRLP.
> > >
> > > With Spacex (and Boeing) soon to be launching manned
missions, is
> > > anyone carrying this audio still, or are there plans to?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chris N4BSA
> > > IRLP 4647
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > --
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [image: 0]
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
____
-- ____
____
0____
__