Date   

Re: multi-node IPs

Rick Szajkowski
 

I dont know about your ISP

I put a switch to my 'modem' and 2 router and I have 2 public IP's

the setup I have now is I have 5 static IP's

to see if you can get another ip connect a 4 port switch to your modem have your router you use now log into your account .. connect a 3nd router with your account info in it and see if it connects and gives you a 2nd ip

if it will not connect then you would have to talk to your ISP about a 2nd public IP

i hope this helps

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Nichols <scotchmandr@...> wrote:

IS it possible yet to run two nodes behind a single DSL/ISP?

73/Phillip/N8AYE
-. ---.. .- -.-- .
Node 3538





Re: multi-node IPs

Dave K9DC
 

Yes. But it requires multiple public IP addresses. Each node requires a unique public IP address. You will need to contact your ISP and ask about availability and pricing. Most providers have the option at least as part of a business class product.

I have 14 public IP addresses from Comcast at my home where I run four IRLP nodes.
I have 6 public IP addresses on a DSL connection at my UHF repeater site.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:08 PM, Phillip Nichols wrote:

IS it possible yet to run two nodes behind a single DSL/ISP?
73/Phillip/N8AYE
-. ---.. .- -.-- .
Node 3538


multi-node IPs

Phillip Nichols <scotchmandr@...>
 

IS it possible yet to run two nodes behind a single DSL/ISP?

73/Phillip/N8AYE
-. ---.. .- -.-- .
Node 3538


Re: node 2120

Rick Szajkowski
 

I have had my own IP's now for a while ( 5 public ip's) for my servers here ..

standard cable modem with no router on the modem

I dont get why is does not see a DNS

I run my own DNS server and also point to my IPS and Googles ..

thats what has me stumped .. all servers here are working fine , all PCs on the network are fine my voip phones work fine .. its JUST the IRLP node that has flaked out .. I would figure if it was my ISP I would not be able to get to my servers or other equipment ..

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Butch Bussen <butchb@...> wrote:

Had a similar situation here when I moved bck to Kansas. The modem they
provided was also a router, so I had the installer set it up in bridge
mode, so my old router worked fine.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.


On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Dave Gingrich
wrote:

My point is/was this problem as reported by troubleshoot-irlp is EXTERNAL to the node. There is nothing you can do to the node computer to fix a port forwarding problem. This can ONLY be fixed on your router, or some other router out in front on the way to the Internet.

What happens commonly is an upgrade to Internet service results in new equipment being installed by the provider. These days what used to simply be a modem, is now a modem/router combination. The effect is, you no longer need to provide your own router. But you have to set up port forwarding on the ISPs router to make it work. If you want to continue to use your own router, you can. But that means you have to set up port forwarding twice. You may be able to toss your old router completely.

What is the IP address on WAN side of your DDWRT router? If it is a private address, then what I described above, happened. Perhaps you upgraded your Internet connection, or added a service that required a new modem be installed (phone service, TV, etc).

Bottom line is, this cannot be fixed by doing anything to the node computer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Richard s wrote:

I did not say the IRLP NETWORK I said system .. as in my computer
I know its on my end in one form or another be it the OS bad HD full HD or just plain bad luck
I know the IRLP NETWORK is stable and has allways been stable ( as long as I have been a member of it (node 212)
Thank all members of our great group for the help I will post updates as they happen ..
Rick


Re: node 2120

Butch Bussen
 

Had a similar situation here when I moved bck to Kansas. The modem they provided was also a router, so I had the installer set it up in bridge mode, so my old router worked fine.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Dave Gingrich wrote:

My point is/was this problem as reported by troubleshoot-irlp is EXTERNAL to the node. There is nothing you can do to the node computer to fix a port forwarding problem. This can ONLY be fixed on your router, or some other router out in front on the way to the Internet.

What happens commonly is an upgrade to Internet service results in new equipment being installed by the provider. These days what used to simply be a modem, is now a modem/router combination. The effect is, you no longer need to provide your own router. But you have to set up port forwarding on the ISPs router to make it work. If you want to continue to use your own router, you can. But that means you have to set up port forwarding twice. You may be able to toss your old router completely.

What is the IP address on WAN side of your DDWRT router? If it is a private address, then what I described above, happened. Perhaps you upgraded your Internet connection, or added a service that required a new modem be installed (phone service, TV, etc).

Bottom line is, this cannot be fixed by doing anything to the node computer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Richard s wrote:

I did not say the IRLP NETWORK I said system .. as in my computer
I know its on my end in one form or another be it the OS bad HD full HD or just plain bad luck
I know the IRLP NETWORK is stable and has allways been stable ( as long as I have been a member of it (node 212)
Thank all members of our great group for the help I will post updates as they happen ..
Rick


Re: node 2120

David Cameron - IRLP
 

It is a lot longer now than it used to be. In order to reduce the load on the server, it only sets it down if not heard from for over 24 hours. I can't recall the exact timing, it may be longer than that even. The node sends updates every 6 hours, or when there is a known change in status.

Dave

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich <Dave@...> wrote:

THe status page is updated by connection status changes on the node (connected, idle, offline) in real time. But shutting the system down does not generate one of those messages to the status page. I think the status page hangs on to the message last heard for at least six hours. It might be a lot longer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 1:20 PM, Richard s wrote:

How long will a node 'stay connected' via the status page when the node has been turned off ?

I have had the node off ( at the time of posting) for 20 min and the status page still shows connected

does this get updated by the node when it connects/disconnects ?

Thanks

Rick va3rzs


Re: node 2120

Dave K9DC
 

THe status page is updated by connection status changes on the node (connected, idle, offline) in real time. But shutting the system down does not generate one of those messages to the status page. I think the status page hangs on to the message last heard for at least six hours. It might be a lot longer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 1:20 PM, Richard s wrote:

How long will a node 'stay connected' via the status page when the node has been turned off ?

I have had the node off ( at the time of posting) for 20 min and the status page still shows connected

does this get updated by the node when it connects/disconnects ?

Thanks

Rick va3rzs


Re: node 2120

Rick Szajkowski
 

How long will a node 'stay connected' via the status page when the node has been turned off ?

I have had the node off ( at the time of posting) for 20 min and the status page still shows connected

does this get updated by the node when it connects/disconnects ?

Thanks

Rick va3rzs


Re: node 2120

Dave K9DC
 

My point is/was this problem as reported by troubleshoot-irlp is EXTERNAL to the node. There is nothing you can do to the node computer to fix a port forwarding problem. This can ONLY be fixed on your router, or some other router out in front on the way to the Internet.

What happens commonly is an upgrade to Internet service results in new equipment being installed by the provider. These days what used to simply be a modem, is now a modem/router combination. The effect is, you no longer need to provide your own router. But you have to set up port forwarding on the ISPs router to make it work. If you want to continue to use your own router, you can. But that means you have to set up port forwarding twice. You may be able to toss your old router completely.

What is the IP address on WAN side of your DDWRT router? If it is a private address, then what I described above, happened. Perhaps you upgraded your Internet connection, or added a service that required a new modem be installed (phone service, TV, etc).

Bottom line is, this cannot be fixed by doing anything to the node computer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Richard s wrote:

I did not say the IRLP NETWORK I said system .. as in my computer
I know its on my end in one form or another be it the OS bad HD full HD or just plain bad luck
I know the IRLP NETWORK is stable and has allways been stable ( as long as I have been a member of it (node 212)
Thank all members of our great group for the help I will post updates as they happen ..
Rick


Re: node 2120

Rick Szajkowski
 

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich <Dave@...> wrote:

Regarding your router, it is possible YOUR router is fine. But something is blocking the IRLP ports. Perhaps a router from your ISP is also in the way. In any event, the port forwarding tests MUST pass, or your node will not work. If something was wrong with the "IRLP System" it would be affecting thousands of us. This does not appear to be the case.

Good luck!

-k9dc
I did not say the IRLP NETWORK I said system .. as in my computer
I know its on my end in one form or another be it the OS bad HD full HD or just plain bad luck

I know the IRLP NETWORK is stable and has allways been stable ( as long as I have been a member of it (node 212)

Thank all members of our great group for the help I will post updates as they happen ..

Rick


Re: Installing from USB CD-ROM

Norbert P. Moritz
 

Hi, everybody,

had the same problem once.
I could only solve that by buying a true USB-CD drive, NO burner.
My external DVD-burner behaves in the same way.
'73, Nobert
DC5MN

Am 11.01.2012 13:29, schrieb dj0qn:

I only disabled IDE1 after I couldn't get it to work. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't looking for an IDE CD-ROM at that point. It didn't make any difference.

The CD-ROM is in a USB port and the drive is on the SATA port (IDE3).

The strange thing is that it does boot just fine, but then does not recognize it a second time during the install process.

Oh well, I guess I need to find another method to get this installed.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich<Dave@...> wrote:
I don't think you should disable the IDE port. Isn't your target drive connected to one of the IDE ports? I also think "local CDROM" also means IDE attached. Is there a USB CDROM option somewhere? It has been a couple of years since I did one.

I used a conventional IDE CDROM drive connected through a junky IDE to USB adapter I picked up at FRYs (a big box computer store in the states). Believe it or not, there is not a manufacturer mentioned anywhere on it, or the box. "Deluxe, 3 in 1 adapter"

You might have to ask your vendor how the heck to boot from CD on the thing. Perhaps a CD-drive to one of the IDE ports is the answer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 5:54 AM, dj0qn wrote:

I am trying to (re)install my system on a new Via CN1000 board with an external CD-ROM, but am not getting very far. I am using the newest CentOS 4.8 ISO from the IRLP web site.

- I have the bios set with the boot order with the USB CD-ROM drive 1st, then the HD (now an SSD), with no further devices. I also disabled IDE 1 to be on the safe side.
- The CD-ROM boots just fine, allows me to define language and keyboard.
- Then it asks which type of media to use, and I select "local CDROM"
- It then say it is unable to find any devices of this type, even though I was already using it to install so far
- If I select the USB mass storage drive (Linux), it doesn't take that. No other drivers can be correct.

I see where Dave K9DC mentions that he has used an external CD-ROM to install IRLP many times....so what is the trick?

Thanks& 73,
Mitch DJ0QN


------------------------------------

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---Yahoo! Groups Links



--
'73 de DC5MN
Norbert
IRLP5155& 5299
EchoLink 393712


Re: node 2120

Dave K9DC
 

http://mirror.irlp.net/iso

The following is in BOLD and RED... pretty hard to miss, IMO.

CentOS 5.4 Distribution - READ CAUTIONS BELOW
CAUTION - ONLY use if your hardware is not supported by CentOS 4.8
CAUTION - Requires a Pentium II or higher
CAUTION - Does NOT work with ISA sound cards

Regarding your router, it is possible YOUR router is fine. But something is blocking the IRLP ports. Perhaps a router from your ISP is also in the way. In any event, the port forwarding tests MUST pass, or your node will not work. If something was wrong with the "IRLP System" it would be affecting thousands of us. This does not appear to be the case.

Good luck!

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Richard s wrote:

I did not see such a warnning or I would not have used it

as for the rotter it had worked nothing changed I have used DDWRT for many years on a linksys and now on a HP so I cant ssee it being the router ( even if it was its in a DMZ now ( I have tried the DMZ with another computer on the net and it works so its pointing back to the IRLP system


Re: node 2120

Rick Szajkowski
 

I did not see such a warnning or I would not have used it

as for the rotter it had worked nothing changed I have used DDWRT for many years on a linksys and now on a HP so I cant ssee it being the router ( even if it was its in a DMZ now ( I have tried the DMZ with another computer on the net and it works so its pointing back to the IRLP system

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich <Dave@...> wrote:

The web page where you download CentOS 5 has warnings against using it, unless you know for sure that 4 will not work. It is possible that 5 might work. It is simply that 5 had significant problems for many folks, that it was pushed back into the archives.

The next step for you is to fix your router, or find out why all those ports remain blocked. Your node will not work, until all of those ports are forwarded correctly and troubleshoot-irlp passes.

Once in a while troubleshoot-irlp provides a false positive, but never a false negative.

-k9dc

On Jan 10, 2012, at 11:21 PM, Richard s wrote:

the router is a new build on a pc

when I rebuilt the node I grabbed the newest OS this is why I have ver 5 on the system not 4

I shall do a shut sown and hard rest rather then a command line reboot

I guess the next thing would be to back track on the OS ..


Re: Installing from USB CD-ROM

Mitch Wolfson
 

I only disabled IDE1 after I couldn't get it to work. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't looking for an IDE CD-ROM at that point. It didn't make any difference.

The CD-ROM is in a USB port and the drive is on the SATA port (IDE3).

The strange thing is that it does boot just fine, but then does not recognize it a second time during the install process.

Oh well, I guess I need to find another method to get this installed.

73,
Mitch DJ0QN

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich <Dave@...> wrote:

I don't think you should disable the IDE port. Isn't your target drive connected to one of the IDE ports? I also think "local CDROM" also means IDE attached. Is there a USB CDROM option somewhere? It has been a couple of years since I did one.

I used a conventional IDE CDROM drive connected through a junky IDE to USB adapter I picked up at FRYs (a big box computer store in the states). Believe it or not, there is not a manufacturer mentioned anywhere on it, or the box. "Deluxe, 3 in 1 adapter"

You might have to ask your vendor how the heck to boot from CD on the thing. Perhaps a CD-drive to one of the IDE ports is the answer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 5:54 AM, dj0qn wrote:

I am trying to (re)install my system on a new Via CN1000 board with an external CD-ROM, but am not getting very far. I am using the newest CentOS 4.8 ISO from the IRLP web site.

- I have the bios set with the boot order with the USB CD-ROM drive 1st, then the HD (now an SSD), with no further devices. I also disabled IDE 1 to be on the safe side.
- The CD-ROM boots just fine, allows me to define language and keyboard.
- Then it asks which type of media to use, and I select "local CDROM"
- It then say it is unable to find any devices of this type, even though I was already using it to install so far
- If I select the USB mass storage drive (Linux), it doesn't take that. No other drivers can be correct.

I see where Dave K9DC mentions that he has used an external CD-ROM to install IRLP many times....so what is the trick?

Thanks & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN


Re: Installing from USB CD-ROM

Dave K9DC
 

I don't think you should disable the IDE port. Isn't your target drive connected to one of the IDE ports? I also think "local CDROM" also means IDE attached. Is there a USB CDROM option somewhere? It has been a couple of years since I did one.

I used a conventional IDE CDROM drive connected through a junky IDE to USB adapter I picked up at FRYs (a big box computer store in the states). Believe it or not, there is not a manufacturer mentioned anywhere on it, or the box. "Deluxe, 3 in 1 adapter"

You might have to ask your vendor how the heck to boot from CD on the thing. Perhaps a CD-drive to one of the IDE ports is the answer.

-k9dc

On Jan 11, 2012, at 5:54 AM, dj0qn wrote:

I am trying to (re)install my system on a new Via CN1000 board with an external CD-ROM, but am not getting very far. I am using the newest CentOS 4.8 ISO from the IRLP web site.

- I have the bios set with the boot order with the USB CD-ROM drive 1st, then the HD (now an SSD), with no further devices. I also disabled IDE 1 to be on the safe side.
- The CD-ROM boots just fine, allows me to define language and keyboard.
- Then it asks which type of media to use, and I select "local CDROM"
- It then say it is unable to find any devices of this type, even though I was already using it to install so far
- If I select the USB mass storage drive (Linux), it doesn't take that. No other drivers can be correct.

I see where Dave K9DC mentions that he has used an external CD-ROM to install IRLP many times....so what is the trick?

Thanks & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN


Installing from USB CD-ROM

Mitch Wolfson
 

I am trying to (re)install my system on a new Via CN1000 board with an external CD-ROM, but am not getting very far. I am using the newest CentOS 4.8 ISO from the IRLP web site.

- I have the bios set with the boot order with the USB CD-ROM drive 1st, then the HD (now an SSD), with no further devices. I also disabled IDE 1 to be on the safe side.
- The CD-ROM boots just fine, allows me to define language and keyboard.
- Then it asks which type of media to use, and I select "local CDROM"
- It then say it is unable to find any devices of this type, even though I was already using it to install so far
- If I select the USB mass storage drive (Linux), it doesn't take that. No other drivers can be correct.

I see where Dave K9DC mentions that he has used an external CD-ROM to install IRLP many times....so what is the trick?

Thanks & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN


re node locking up

John
 

Butch et al

It's a hot muggy afternoon in North Queensland,
and I'm trying to clear the mail box.
A couple of cool ambers has/will quenched the thirst...

my chronological mind says, as Butch has pointed out..
this crashing/freezing at 4AM has only happened since he
physically transplanted his HD into another machine ie Dell.
Even tho he admits that a backup image was installed onto the HD in the Dell, it is still locking the system up at 4AM.

That alone indicated to me (and I don't bet on unknowns :))
that there is a hardware issue as daveC has suggested.

the issue I would like to address now for Butch, is backing up his Custom files.

This is the tarball cmd line in my backup_for_irlp script taken from my centos4 install.

tar -X $ID/scripts/nobackup.list --exclude=stn*.wav --exclude=ref*.wav &#92;
-cvf $ID/backup/irlp_backup.tar * .pgp*

For Butch's sake, will this save his Custom stuff, as it seems to hold some special "pine" info.

cheers all,
time to hop in the pool and replenish the schooner :)

John @ 6163


Re: node 2120

Dave K9DC
 

The web page where you download CentOS 5 has warnings against using it, unless you know for sure that 4 will not work. It is possible that 5 might work. It is simply that 5 had significant problems for many folks, that it was pushed back into the archives.

The next step for you is to fix your router, or find out why all those ports remain blocked. Your node will not work, until all of those ports are forwarded correctly and troubleshoot-irlp passes.

Once in a while troubleshoot-irlp provides a false positive, but never a false negative.

-k9dc

On Jan 10, 2012, at 11:21 PM, Richard s wrote:

the router is a new build on a pc

when I rebuilt the node I grabbed the newest OS this is why I have ver 5 on the system not 4

I shall do a shut sown and hard rest rather then a command line reboot

I guess the next thing would be to back track on the OS ..


Re: node 2120

Rick Szajkowski
 

the router is a new build on a pc

when I rebuilt the node I grabbed the newest OS this is why I have ver 5 on the system not 4

I shall do a shut sown and hard rest rather then a command line reboot

I guess the next thing would be to back track on the OS ..

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Dave Gingrich <Dave@...> wrote:

Well it does say your router has a problem. You will have to fix the missing port forwards. When you set the node IP as a DMZ host, did you remove all the port forwards from the router? Perhaps they are pointed somewhere else due to old configuration information still on the router.

The DNS is less important, but it does have to work for IRLP to fully work and report correctly.

Is CentOS 5 required for your hardware?, or if you don't know, you should be using the CentOS 4 IRLP_CD_V7.06. Many times, CentOS 5 behaves badly with standard hardware. But you did not specify the hardware you are using.

Normally, connected to unknown means you are using one of experimental reflectors. But some other malfunction might cause the same indication.

-k9dc


On Jan 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Richard s wrote:


from the irlp status page
Current Node Status: Unknown for 0 days, 1 hours, 49 minutes, 51 seconds
troubleshhot-irlp gives me some wired errors
DNS not set corectly
ports 2074 through 2090 not forwared ( in DMZ zone)
Pots 073 8873 1000 15425 15426 15427 not forwared again in DMZ zone
Running Centos 5.7 (from the IRLP dl server)
I hope this helps figure out why this is going on


Re: node 2120

Dave K9DC
 

Well it does say your router has a problem. You will have to fix the missing port forwards. When you set the node IP as a DMZ host, did you remove all the port forwards from the router? Perhaps they are pointed somewhere else due to old configuration information still on the router.

The DNS is less important, but it does have to work for IRLP to fully work and report correctly.

Is CentOS 5 required for your hardware?, or if you don't know, you should be using the CentOS 4 IRLP_CD_V7.06. Many times, CentOS 5 behaves badly with standard hardware. But you did not specify the hardware you are using.

Normally, connected to unknown means you are using one of experimental reflectors. But some other malfunction might cause the same indication.

-k9dc

On Jan 10, 2012, at 4:40 PM, Richard s wrote:


from the irlp status page
Current Node Status: Unknown for 0 days, 1 hours, 49 minutes, 51 seconds
troubleshhot-irlp gives me some wired errors
DNS not set corectly
ports 2074 through 2090 not forwared ( in DMZ zone)
Pots 073 8873 1000 15425 15426 15427 not forwared again in DMZ zone
Running Centos 5.7 (from the IRLP dl server)
I hope this helps figure out why this is going on

16981 - 17000 of 78783