talking Linux?

Butch Bussen

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'll try and keep it as
brief as possible. I am totally blind and use special software to
make my computers talk. I just received my board and cd yesterday.
I'm not totally unfamiliar with Linux, I've used pine, linx, and
ftp on a shell account for years. I know there is some work being
done with a "talking Linux", but most of what I've seen uses
Slackware. I know I'll need some sighted help getting things up
and running, but I want to do as much as I can myself and learn as
I go.

I presently have a talking desktop computer running win98 and special
"screen reading" software. I use a terminal program on this
system to access my shell account and it works quite well. Unless
I can find some sort of bootable talking Linux, I'll need help
getting the first installation done. After this, how much can I do
from a terminal program on my main computer? Can I install the
IRLP software remotely? I notice the documentation talks about
switching terminals with alt-f1. Can I accomplish the same thing
remotely by logging in twice?

I've tried using WINSCP on a friend's computer, and it doesn't
work well with my talking program. I often use FTP to move files
back and forth. Is this available on the IRLP distribution, and
if so, what do I have to do to implement this?

Any help and comments are appreciated. Please reply off list to
keep clutter down.

Thanks and 73s.

Butch Bussen

WA0VJR

k9dc <gingrich2@...>

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, Butch Bussen <butchb@s...> wrote:
[...]

You should be able to do nearly everything from a remote session,
including installation of the IRLP software. The only thing your
screen reader might have a problem with is setting the audio levels
with aumix. Aumix is text based, but it uses the arrow keys to move up
and down the various channels of the sound card and left and right to
set the level.

I notice the documentation talks about
switching terminals with alt-f1. Can I accomplish the same thing
remotely by logging in twice?
Yes you can telnet or SSH into the Linux shell as many times as you
want. Short of a hardware failure, Linux can be completely
administered remotely. In fact many of us do not even have a monitor
or keyboard on the computer.

I've tried using WINSCP on a friend's computer, and it doesn't
work well with my talking program. I often use FTP to move files
back and forth. Is this available on the IRLP distribution, and
if so, what do I have to do to implement this?
Command line FTP comes with Linux, but the FTP service is disabled on
a normal installation. However you can always use the command line
utility scp or "secure copy" to move files around. SCP uses ssh as the
transport mechanism and is available if you have sshd running.

While IRLP was not particularly designed for a blind user, since there
is no GUI and is totally command line driven, you should have a good
chance at a succesful installation. I would imagine that soldering
connectors on cables for the radio interface would cause more
difficulty than installing the software.

-Dave K9DC

David I. McAnally <kf7fly@...>

Everything can be managed from a ssh terminal program after initial install
of Linux. I manage several remote nodes and only had to have someone
locally power reboot a couple of them once, probably due to a UPS power
glitch. All updates and a few soft reboots have been performed remotely via
ssh login.

Try out the PUTTY SSH windows client software. It is less Window GUI and
more terminal command line.

Multiple login terminal sessions are fine.

Regards,
David McAnally (KF7FLY)

Tony Langdon (ATC) <tlangdon@...>

I presently have a talking desktop computer running win98
and special "screen reading" software. I use a terminal
program on this system to access my shell account and it
works quite well. Unless I can find some sort of bootable
talking Linux, I'll need help getting the first installation
done. After this, how much can I do from a terminal program
I'm not aware of a Linux distribution that has speech during the
installation process. You will need someone to get Linux installed and make
it accessible to other machines on your network.

on my main computer? Can I install the IRLP software
remotely? I notice the documentation talks about switching
terminals with alt-f1. Can I accomplish the same thing
remotely by logging in twice?
Yes, once you have network access to the IRLP PC, you can connect to it
multiple times and get the same effect.

I've tried using WINSCP on a friend's computer, and it
doesn't work well with my talking program. I often use FTP
to move files back and forth. Is this available on the IRLP
distribution, and if so, what do I have to do to implement this?
Yes, you can use FTP. You will need to install the vsftpd package and then
enable FTP, which means tweaking a configuration file in /etc/xinetd.d .

Any help and comments are appreciated. Please reply off list
to keep clutter down.
2 things. Firstly, there may be other vision impaired people in the future
that might benefit from our discussion (I know of a couple of blind IRLP
node owners already). This discussion may even make the Unofficial Manual.
Secondly, I'm at work, so it's simplest to just hit reply.

Thanks and 73s.

Butch Bussen

WA0VJR

--------------------~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA> /ELTolB/TM

Gary McDuffie, Sr. <mcduffie@...>

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:19:43 +1000, Tony Langdon (ATC) wrote:

(I know of a couple of blind IRLP node owners already).
Tony,

I know it would help Butch to be able to talk to these people direct,
and I know Butch would be glad to do a write up on things that would
help the visually impaired. Any chance of dropping him or I a note with
callsign's and/or contact info?

And I agree, responses here are more useful to the group, and could make
the manual eventually. Thanks.

Gary

--
IRLP node 3055
ag0n at arrl dot net

Jim WW4M <ww4m@...>

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <gingrich2@d...> wrote:
You should be able to do nearly everything from a remote session,
including installation of the IRLP software. The only thing your
screen reader might have a problem with is setting the audio levels
with aumix. Aumix is text based, but it uses the arrow keys to move up
and down the various channels of the sound card and left and right to
set the level.
Most people forget you can use aumix from a command prompt instead of
using the arrow keys to move left right. For instance, "aumix -q"
will query aumix to display all current settings. "aumix -o 80" will
set the output level to 80 (out of 100). Finally, "aumix -S" will
save any changes.

73, Jim WW4M

Nate Duehr <nate@...>

Tony Langdon (ATC) wrote:

I presently have a talking desktop computer running win98 and special "screen reading" software. I use a terminal program on this system to access my shell account and it works quite well. Unless I can find some sort of bootable talking Linux, I'll need help getting the first installation done. After this, how much can I do from a terminal program
I'm not aware of a Linux distribution that has speech during the
installation process. You will need someone to get Linux installed and make
it accessible to other machines on your network.
Riley KL3RH told me that the full RedHat 9 does support speech during installation. He's a blind ham who used it successfully.

Unfortunately I haven't talked to him on IRLP or anywhere else for months. If you can find him, he can probably help you out.

Nate WY0X

Butch Bussen

Thanks much. This kind of information is what I'm looking for. I'll be glad to put this kind of stuff together when I get up and running. Just to give you all a little back ground, I have been working with computers since my talking Apple 2E back in 83. Sometimes I kind of miss those days. <smile> Also if you have access to old qsts, I had an article in July of 87, Oct. Nov. and Dec. of 87, and I think final installment was in Jan of 88. I didn't weigh near as much back then, and all pictures were taken by Gary AG0N.

73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Jim WW4M wrote:

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <gingrich2@d...> wrote:
You should be able to do nearly everything from a remote session,
including installation of the IRLP software. The only thing your
screen reader might have a problem with is setting the audio levels
with aumix. Aumix is text based, but it uses the arrow keys to move up
and down the various channels of the sound card and left and right to
set the level.
Most people forget you can use aumix from a command prompt instead of
using the arrow keys to move left right. For instance, "aumix -q"
will query aumix to display all current settings. "aumix -o 80" will
set the output level to 80 (out of 100). Finally, "aumix -S" will
save any changes.

73, Jim WW4M

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
Yahoo! Groups Links

k9dc <gingrich2@...>

--- In irlp@yahoogroups.com, "Jim WW4M" <ww4m@i...> wrote:

Most people forget you can use aumix from a command prompt instead of
using the arrow keys to move left right. For instance, "aumix -q"
will query aumix to display all current settings. "aumix -o 80" will
set the output level to 80 (out of 100). Finally, "aumix -S" will
save any changes.
Yep... you are right. Forgot about that one!

-Dave K9DC