blind node owners

Ray T. Mahorney <coffee-craver@...>

I know of at least 2 WA0VJN and WB0CPR I've got an old 98 box that I'm thinking about converting into a node
machine but I'm a bit stumped which is a better way to communicate with the machine through my XP box? Puddy or
some other type of terminal emulator that works with JAWS 7.1 and how steep is the learning curve going that route?
Ray T. Mahorney
WA4WGA
http://www.ifbyphone.com

Buddy Brannan <buddy@...>

Hey Ray,

Yeah, of course you know Butch, we're all on the blind-hams list together.

I'll have to ask my friend Brian which terminal program he uses and
has the best luck with. I used to use Terraterm SSH, but I think maybe
it doesn't support SSH2, just the older one. You'll want a terminal
program that does ssh if you won't have direct access via speakup or
something.

Learning curve...well...they say Unix is a user-friendly OS, it's just
very particular about its friends...or something like that. Which is
to say, it's a steep learning curve. The good news is that the IRLP
stuff doesn't use any GUI tools, which means it's all accessible from
a text console (a good thing). Heck, you could hang an old DOS machine
off a serial port with a null modem cable and a terminal like Procomm
(remember Procomm?) if you were really hard up to access it.

Maybe we should oughta take all the blindy-specific stuff off-list?

ray t. mahorney <coffee-craver@...>

Don't know, DC et al may find some of it useful. Wonder if there'd be a way to incorporate the TTS into the FC5 and
send it's output to an external synth or a second sound card dedicated for that purpose? Your comments on emulators
would seem to rule out any of the stock windows emulators.
Ray T. Mahorney
WA4WGA
http://www.ifbyphone.com

[...]

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
Yahoo! Groups Links

Buddy Brannan <buddy@...>

Hey Ray,

Speakup is what I use direct on the Linux console, and there are
Speakup-modified versions of Fedora out there. If you have a
Doubletalk (either the ISA version or Doubletalk LT) or any of most of
the external serial synthesizers, Speakup supports it....can't think
of an external that isn't supported. No, I take that back, I can think
of one, but it's parallel. Check out
http://www.speakupmodified.org

Learning to use Speakup is actually very easy. It's all the strange
Linux commands you might have a bit of a challenge with.

ray t. mahorney <coffee-craver@...>

that was actually the other concern I had as to whether or not it would support a DEC express which is what I've
been running for the last 10 years through about three computers.
Ray T. Mahorney
WA4WGA
http://www.ifbyphone.com

Speakup is what I use direct on the Linux console, and there are
Speakup-modified versions of Fedora out there. If you have a
Doubletalk (either the ISA version or Doubletalk LT) or any of most of
the external serial synthesizers, Speakup supports it....can't think
of an external that isn't supported. No, I take that back, I can think
of one, but it's parallel. Check out
http://www.speakupmodified.org

Learning to use Speakup is actually very easy. It's all the strange
Linux commands you might have a bit of a challenge with.

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
Yahoo! Groups Links

Buddy Brannan <buddy@...>

Oh yeah, no problem with the DEC Express. Speakup works pretty well
with that, actually.

Butch Bussen

I had to get sighted help to do the initial install--that is where I'd like to see some kind of speech. Once the machine was up and running and on the network, I can access it through my 98 machine or my xp machine. I use teraterm ssh as it works better than putty as far as telling where the cursor is. For editing, moving, and copying, I use winscp. Works like a dream. Can't help with jaws, I use window-eyes, but I don't see any problem. I don't know much about Linux at all, but have successfully built four nodes.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr

ray t. mahorney <coffee-craver@...>

good deal you're telling me what I'll need help with when the time comes. Now how much Linux did you have to learn
in order to use teraterm or winscp?
Ray T. Mahorney
WA4WGA
http://www.ifbyphone.com

I had to get sighted help to do the initial install--that is where I'd
like to see some kind of speech. Once the machine was up and running and
on the network, I can access it through my 98 machine or my xp machine. I
use teraterm ssh as it works better than putty as far as telling where the
cursor is. For editing, moving, and copying, I use winscp. Works like a
dream. Can't help with jaws, I use window-eyes, but I don't see any
problem. I don't know much about Linux at all, but have successfully
built four nodes.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
Yahoo! Groups Links

Buddy Brannan <buddy@...>

Hey Butch,

We'll have to talk node radios sometime.

As far as a talking install...I'm trying my hand at converting the
IRLP FC5 ISO into one with a Speakup-enabled kernel. (Don't worry
guys, I'll take it off the network before I try to install it--so I
don't get an eroneous node number generated before I get ahold of my
board!) Well, the instructions I found to create a custom ISO were a
bit out of date, so I don't know if this worked, but if it did, we
could perhaps have a speakup-enabled IRLP CD. I'll let y'all know. If
it doesn't work, I may have to ask someone about how to build a CD
with new kernel packages but nothing else changed...but we'll get 'er
done!

Vy 73,
Buddy, KB5ELV

Butch Bussen

Perhaps we should take this off list. Winscp is a program ran on the windows box. What I use that for is backing up files, and editing scripts such as custom decode. As far as teraterm, I use that to issue keyboard commands such as running the irlp install script. The aumix program has a way to set the levels from the command line. I think Nate may have sent me info on this a couple years ago when I built my first node, but I unfortunately lost a lot of very good notes on that sort of thing in a drive crash. Part of the fun of it is learning how to modify scripts and add features, but you can run it as is by just following the documentation.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr

Butch Bussen

You really don't have to worry about getting a nod number assigned until you run the irlp install script, so a talking install wouldn't have anything to do with this. I ran the install script from a terminal program on the xp machine.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr