hint...

Eli Aguirre <omegan6xpg@...>

Hi there node owners:
Name here, Eli Aguirre N6XPG.
I'm new in this fascinating world of irlp and really interesting to know more about it.
Wonder if any body can give me a hint to pair my iphone 6 in to my node, to be able using in
on my mobile.

Some body toll me that getting the format of STONG VPN Co. will be one of the best shoots.
The question is if I had to download the VPN in to my iphone or in to my Raspberry or both.
Got my monitor and keyboard hooked in to my Raspberry and thats the way That I'm doing
the programming files in to my node.
 I'm not using SSH  at the moment but I communicate to my node via keyboard and a monitor.

I had on the pass a static IP with Verizon that cost me $500.00 but didn't work the way that
I was aspected, if some one give me a better idea
I will appreciate a lot.

I can't wait to use my node on the mobile.
TNX..
N6XPG .. node number 7780...

Dave K9DC

I do not think tethering your iPhone to an IRLP node is very feasible. Even if you arranged for a static public IP on the iPhone (possible with Verizon at least), I do not believe there is a way to get the iPhone itself to forward the necessary ports to the IRLP node.

I have had excellent success using a USB modem with a static public IP from Verizon, on a Cradlepoint router. The Cradlepoint offers several different port forwarding methods. It has an ethernet port and is much less expensive than dedicating an iPhone 6 to your IRLP node 24/7.

I have 2 iPads with Verizon static public IPs on them, but there is no way to turn the iPad into a port forwarding router as far as I know. [Once you pay Verizon the $500, there is no limit on the number of devices you can set up with the feature. So I did it as an exercise just to learn how to set up an iOS device to do that. But honestly, there is little value to me in actually having a static public IP on my iPads.]

If you are willing to pay the $500, I would recommend getting a straight USB modem and a compatible router. But beware, not all modems are compatible with all routers. I am using a Pantech UML290 LTE modem with a Cradlepoint CBR400 and an MBR95 (both discontinued I believe). You can purchase the UML290 all day long on Ebay for around $25.

-k9dc

On Oct 17, 2015, at 13:34, Eli Aguirre omegan6xpg@yahoo.com [irlp] <irlp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

shutle64@...

If you are using VPN, you don't need a static ip with the iphone.  Using VPN has it's it own static ip that is visible to the internet from the IRLP node.  The IRLP node will have 2 IP addresses, the local one connected to the iphone, the other is connected to the VPN provider.  The VPN acts like the port forwarding, and you only need it on the IRLP node.  The iphone doesn't need any port forwarding or VPN.  You can choose which ports get forwarded with the VPN provider, or choose OpenVPN.  You can run more than one IRLP node if needed to, just need 2nd VPN account.

John

shutle64@...

If you are using VPN, you don't need a static ip with the iphone.  Using VPN has it's it own static ip that is visible to the internet from the IRLP node.  The IRLP node will have 2 IP addresses, the local one connected to the iphone, the other is connected to the VPN provider.  The VPN acts like the port forwarding, and you only need it on the IRLP node.  The iphone doesn't need any port forwarding or VPN.  You can choose which ports get forwarded with the VPN provider, or choose OpenVPN.  You can run more than one IRLP node if needed to, just need 2nd VPN account.

John

John Lorenc

Hi

Just wondering if you can expect a wire tethered Android phone to work with the Cradlepoint USB port?

John VA3XJL

Sent from my iPad Air 2

On Oct 19, 2015, at 1:00 AM, Dave Gingrich Dave@dcg.us [irlp] <irlp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: Dave Gingrich <Dave@dcg.us>
------------------------------------

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Dave K9DC

On Oct 19, 2015, at 12:01, 'va3xjl@gmail.com' va3xjl@gmail.com [irlp] <irlp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi
Just wondering if you can expect a wire tethered Android phone to work with the Cradlepoint USB port?
John VA3XJL
Sent from my iPad Air 2

You would need to check the Cradlepoint device compatibility list to see if it is possible. Then your cell plan to see if it is covered.

You would still have to overcome the lack of a public IP address and/or the cellco firewall blocking IRLP incoming traffic (depends on your carrier). You could probably get around that with a VPN connection, for another monthly fee, assuming your cell connection was very solid and did not change IPs on you every few hours.

But why would anyone want to tie up a perfectly good cell phone 24/7 to operate an IRLP node? Remember, once you install IRLP, it is supposed to be left running. Yes, you can turn it off for short periods of time, but IRLP was intended to be left running continuously, just like your local repeater. It was not meant to turn it on intermittently, then shut off when you are not using it.

My main point was, it makes no sense to even try this maneuver using any tethered phone and hack it, when you can buy a modem for cheap, and use the router the way it was intended. Most routers even provide cabled ethernet out.

-k9dc

John Lorenc

Many thanks Dave. The Cradlepoint products fave a lot of functions, including how to make it work with AT commands. Remember those?

Cheers!

John VA3XJL

Sent from my iPad Air 2

On Oct 19, 2015, at 1:12 PM, Dave Gingrich Dave@dcg.us [irlp] <irlp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

The current models are based on NetBSD Unix based I think. You can SSH into them and apply many of command line skills you learned on your node. Unfortunately, Cradlepoint has been slowly moving out of the lower end consumer lines, into the enterprise markets. They have discontinued nearly all of their lower end products and moved to a subscription support model. Frankly, not great for us.

-k9dc

On Oct 19, 2015, at 17:43, 'va3xjl@gmail.com' va3xjl@gmail.com [irlp] <irlp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Many thanks Dave. The Cradlepoint products fave a lot of functions, including how to make it work with AT commands. Remember those?

Cheers!
John VA3XJL

Jim MacKenzie

TP-Link has some interesting little boxes that will let you use a USB cellular modem and bridge it to wired or wireless Ethernet connections.  I use one on my nano-node sometimes (I also use a dedicated WiFi hotspot sometimes too).  They’re pretty cheap and work quite well.  You’d need some sort of compact single-board computer to be the node (well anything would work but if you want portability, small is best).

Jim VE5EIS