Topics

restoring node 7076 with backup file

Butch Bussen

The hard drive in my node 7076 died. I don't have an image of the drive, but to have the backup.gtz file on a windows machine. This was running fedora 3 which I have on my other nodes and works well. I thought I'd use the same computer and just replace the hard drive. I could use a different and a little newer computer, I think hp 7700, but I know the on board sound on this Dell works fine. Can I still use fc3? If so, will your current reinstall script work? It has been a while since I've done this stuff. I do it on a windows machine with a voice synthesizer and will need sighted help to get original operating system up and running. Once the machine is seen on my network, I should be able to do things using a terminal program and winscp. As mentioned above, this is an ancient Dell which had been working fine until the drive died and I was wondering if your latest operating system would work on the old machine.

As always, thanks much for your help, and I hope this makes sense.
Butch WA0VJR, nodes 3148, 3028, and 7076

k9dc

See the instructions http://www.irlp.net/new-install/Reinstall_from_Backup.pdf

The restore from a backup procedure should work with any version of the OS regardless of the version the backup is from. There is no guarantee that FC3 will run on your “little newer” computer. Personally, I would recommend you upgrade the OS since your node is dead anyway. The process is the same and you will end up with a fully supported node.

One thing to note is that if the installer detects Debian, it will offer the option for a “Clean” re-installation. This means it will pull your node number information, including the PGP keys, but everything else will be completely new, rather than restoring your old environment file and custom directory. You will have to manually re-install any custom features you had running. But There are many features that have been added to IRLP in the last 10 years or so, since FC3 has been obsolete.

Any or all of those options are available to you. If something does not work quite right, just try something else.

-k9dc

On Dec 16, 2017, at 16:20, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

[...]

Well I understand what you are saying, but the biggest problem I have
is if I start from scratch I'll need sighted help which I don't often
have. I read the file you mentioned, but my impression was it may not
work with older operating system. All three of my nodes were running
fc3 and I have no complaints. I really don't want to have to redo my
custom stuff, not sure I remember what all I changed. Two questions.
Does any of the new stuff come with pine or alpine? One of you guys
installed pine for me many years ago on my original node, 3148, as I had
lost pine when upgrading from redhat nine. I don't use it for outgoing
mail or receiving, just reading mail I saved when my wife was alive,
stuff I don't want to loose access to.

Second question, and I know this isn't what you recommend, but maybe a
way I could do it without help. If I copy the drive out of say my node
3028, a node running on exactly the same model of Dell, is there an easy
way to take my backup file of 7076 and restore it to that copy of node
3028?

Thanks.
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017, Dave Gingrich Dave@... [irlp] wrote:

[...]

First off, the instructions provided in the doc should work fine for RH9 to FC3 to CentOS 4 and on in to Debian, with no issue.

The bigger issue perhaps is just staying with FC3. The archives of compatible software no longer exist, so it is impossible to install non-IRLP tools (like Alpine) using a standardized method such as the the yum utility. FC3 is so old it does not even support the correct dates for changing from standard time to summer time.

Further the only way off this path is a complete re-installation. Upgrade from RH9 to FC3 required a complete new installation. Upgrade from FC3 to CentOS 4 requires a complete reinstallation and so forth.

Once you get on the Debian path that is no longer required. It is only a matter of a few changes and update commands, and you can upgrade an existing Debian 6 machine to Debian 7, then to Debian 8, to Debian 9 and beyond. All in place upgrades with no complete new installations required. I have actually upgraded in place, one of my nodes up to the experimental unstable Debian 11 (Sid). Debian 11 is not set to become stable for a couple of years (I was looking for something specific).

Bottom line is that once you get yourself migrated over to Debian, you are pretty much set for the foreseeable future. OS version upgrades can be done in-place over the Internet. I even upgraded the node in my RV from Debian 6 to Debian 8 that way, using the Cellular modem on board the vehicle. It took while of course, but completed without issue.

If there is any way you could get some assistance configuring a disk for at least one of your nodes, running Debian, perhaps that could be used to bring your other two up to current software. Then you would be completely done and current with all three nodes. There are youtube videos of a Debian installation available. Probably not useful to you, but they might be beneficial to your helper.

Notwithstanding all of the pleading above, it is technically possible to recover your node based upon a working configuration of a machine running FC3. Whether you can install Alpine on it or not, I don’t know. My guess is not.

If you want to go that way and kick the can down the inevitable road, you would need to contact the team at installs@ irlp.net. You will exchange login information with them there, and likely backup files so your existing keys for 7076 can be harvested. The team will not be enthusiastic about your approach, but I am guessing they would help you if you are not in a hurry. Everyone there is an unpaid volunteer.

-k9dc

On Dec 16, 2017, at 23:37, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

[...]

o.k., you've convinced me. This is kind of a spare node anyhow and I
might as well learn something new. Once I get debian installed on the
hd, I can make a clone of that drive before I actually install irlp, as
I have several hp 7700s, so should be the same, and I wouldn't need
sighted help from that point when I need or decide to upgrade my other
nodes. I assume once I get things up and running, it won't be difficult
to get pine or alpine running? Another question, do I still have the
option to use my backup file to restore my custom stuff?

Lastly, I went to this page,
http://www.irlp.net/new-install/
I see an archives link, but don't see a download iso for debian. If I
understand you right, this is what I should use?

Thanks again.
Butch
Wa0VJR
nodes 3028, 3148, and 7076

[...]

Regarding alpine, I am sure that is available for Debian, but I have never tried to use it. It also depends on where the mail resides. If the mail is local on the machine, that will not recover with an IRLP restore. So the answer is you certainly can install alpine, but I don’t know where the mail files you are using, are kept. If they are on a server at your ISP’s house, that is great. It should work fine.

The restore from a backup works fine. But you may have difficulties with scripts written for the older OS not working on Debian. It depends on exactly what you have. The restore never works for EchoIRLP, so often it is better to perform a “clean” re-install and install the things you need, by hand. That way you get a brand new environment file that includes all the newer variables that have been added.

The ISO downloads are one link further into the site. Go to http://mirror.irlp.net/iso/

Bottom line… Your node is already dead. You can not break it worse, by trying to recover it. You might as well try to bring it back in more modern form. You can use that experience to hopefully upgrade your other two machines in the process.

Throw a note over the fence to installs@ irlp.net if/when you need a hand with your number recovery.

-k9dc

On Dec 17, 2017, at 14:07, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

--- IRLP-Owners YahooGroups List ---
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Butch Bussen

I don't have echo link, so that saves me some head ache. I am
downloading this one.
Download IRLP_CD_11.04.iso
Says recommended for new instalation. Is this the right one?
Will try it on hp 7700, think these machines are ten years old or a bit
more. Any idea if on board sound is likely to work, or do I need
different sound card?

As far as the mail, I have those folders saved on my windows box
and still on a working node. I create a user butchb and since I'm not
doing incoming or outgoing mail, I tell pine to go to these folders
which are in the .mail of each user. All I have to do, and may need
help, is to get the program installed on debian. When I tried it on one
of my other fc3 boxes, it barked at me about dependancies and I didn't
know where to go from there. Fortunately, pine is still working on my
original node.
Thanks.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017, Dave Gingrich Dave@... [irlp]
wrote:

[...]

IRLP_CD_11.04.iso is the correct one.

I am afraid that the local email on your node is going to tangle you up. No provision for migrating anything but IRLP itself is part of the backup and restore process. I am sure it can be done. But it requires fairly significant Redhat and Debian Linux administrator skills to migrate a local mail store, that are not easily conveyed over email. If maintaining that email is critical, some other arrangements will have to be made.

This is well beyond the scope of IRLP and gets into the area of general Linux use. In fact when DaveC built the IRLP distribution, he went to great lengths to remove all the general stuff beyond the bare minimum to operate IRLP.

Installing alpine (GPL’d version of Pine) should be very straight forward on Debian. Something like ‘apt-get install alpine’ should do the trick. The dependency errors you got from FC3 were because the OS has been obsolete for many years.

Alpine is a very talented and capable text based email client for Linux. But it takes the irlp node into a place that was never recommended for IRLP nodes to go. Linux of course, can perform the task admirably and probably works very nicely for your use case, accessing using SSH and a screen reader in Windows. I would bet that it works better for you than any GUI based email program since you cannot see the screen. I am not sure how to advise you at this point, except I think you are going to need to find some local, hands on help.

-k9dc

On Dec 17, 2017, at 16:00, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm hoping the e-mail won't be that much of a problem. If I can get
alpine up and running, I think it can access my local folders as I do on
my fc3 box. I just create an .mail folder in the user folder and pine
knows to go there when I tell it to go to folder. I then use irlp to
copy all of those folders, saved messages and so forth to the .mail
folder. As I said, I just want it for stuff I have saved. Text based
works very well and the irlp box doesn't talk or anything, I just log in
using a terminal program on my windows box. If not doable, I'll have to
keep my original node running with pine and fc3. The problem I have of
course, is nothing in the install talks, and I can't do anything with
the irlp box until I can access it with my windows machine on the
network. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope
I can get it back running and then hope I can get alpine running enough
to access my saved mail.

As far as local help, there is none, and I mean none. If someone was
willing, could a person log in remotely as root and install the mail
program? That is what was done on my original node when I upgraded from
redhat 9, which oddly enough included pine, and fc3 did not.

If I didn't say it before, merry Christmas to you all.
73
Butch Bussen

WA0VJR node 3148, 3028, and a dead 7076
[...]

I was grabbing all the instructions and had no problems converting the
pdf to text until the afterinstallv2.pdf. When I try and read it with
acrobat all I get is

start of text, end of text, start of heading, bell, escape, and so
forth. Can someone send me a plain text version of this file? I've
downloaded it several times and get same results. Other pdf files have
read fine.
Thanks.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

[...]

John

Butch, I feel your pain.

Might I suggest you contact Dave Cameron @ dcameron@...
for his help.
My copy of that pdf shows it was written with Ghostscript 7.06

73 John @ 6163

On 19/12/2017 12:30:42 PM, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] (irlp@...) wrote:
[...]

I have no idea what is wrong with that document. It is visible on my Mac with Apple Preview or Adobe, but there is definitely no text in it.

DaveC posted a MSWord version of afterinstallv2 to the files area here. I also sent you a copy direct.

-k9dc

On Dec 18, 2017, at 21:30, Butch Bussen butchb@... [irlp] <irlp@...> wrote:

I was grabbing all the instructions and had no problems converting the
pdf to text until the afterinstallv2.pdf. When I try and read it with
acrobat all I get is

start of text, end of text, start of heading, bell, escape, and so
forth. Can someone send me a plain text version of this file? I've
downloaded it several times and get same results. Other pdf files have
read fine.
Thanks.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

Butch Bussen

ometimes not being able to read the screen is a royal pain.
I got a neighbor to help me install the latest Debian from the irlp
page. I figured all would be well as in the past once I had the machine
on the network I could log in to the irlp box with my talking computer's
terminal program and do the rest by myself. I have two machines hooked
to this router. When I run ipconfig in xp on my talking computer, it
says its ip is is 192.168.0.115. I figured the irlp box is
192.168.0.114. Other addresses give me a time out with my terminal
program. A telnet attempt on this 192.168.0.114 gives me a "connection
refused." When I try ssh on port 22, this what I get, hope I typed it
right as I couldn't get it to copy to the clipboard.

ttexsecure
couldn't agree a client-to-server cipher (available):
aes128-ctr,aes192-,ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-gcm@...,aes256-gcm@...,chacha20-poly1305@...)

How do I login to this thing so I can continue with my reinstall as I
use to do? I'm using a terminal program called teraterm which has
always worked before. So we don't clutter things up, feel free to take
this off list.

Thanks.

Butch WA0VJR. nodes 3148, 3028, 7076 maybe

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017, Dave
Gingrich Dave@... [irlp]