Create Install CD from Debian ISO #iso

Wes AE6ZM

The HD in my IRLP node PC made the death rattle, and now I get the 'No disk found' msg. Since my node was an old Centos version, I figured I would just upgrade to Debian. So, I found the link on IRLP site "Download IRLP_CD_12.07.iso"-- and gave it a try. Problem is, the zip file I downloaded from there appears to be a full Debian Linux install, and I do not see an .iso file anywhere. Can someone teach me the secret handshake so I can figure out how to create my install CD from all these files?
I am running Win7 on my laptop that I will use for burning the CD. My node PC is an old HP Vectra P3.

VY 73,
Wes
AE6ZM
Node 3343

Dave K9DC

If you click on the download link, you should end up with single file of about 500 MB, named "IRLP_CD_12.07.iso"

That file must be burned to a CD in a bootable format. The utility to do that is built-in to the Disk Utility app in MacOS. I cannot tell you how to do it in Windows. But I don’t think that ability is built in to Windows 7. My suggestion would be web search for “creating bootable CD from .iso file Windows”

-k9dc

On May 20, 2019, at 15:15, Wes <wesbflyer@comcast.net> wrote:

The HD in my IRLP node PC made the death rattle, and now I get the 'No disk found' msg. Since my node was an old Centos version, I figured I would just upgrade to Debian. So, I found the link on IRLP site "Download IRLP_CD_12.07.iso"-- and gave it a try. Problem is, the zip file I downloaded from there appears to be a full Debian Linux install, and I do not see an .iso file anywhere. Can someone teach me the secret handshake so I can figure out how to create my install CD from all these files?
I am running Win7 on my laptop that I will use for burning the CD. My node PC is an old HP Vectra P3.

VY 73,
Wes
AE6ZM
Node 3343

Wes AE6ZM

Well shucks. Thanks Dave, bleary eye syndrome I guess. When I downloaded it, it looked like a zip file on my screen, so I clicked it and it opened in ALzip. DUH!
I downloaded and installled IMGBurner, it burned the iso to a CD, and when loaded into my laptop drive, opened up the auto-run window. Looks like a winner.
Thanks for your quick response. Will update this thread when I install on the new drive in the node PC.
--
VY 73,
Wes

Wes AE6ZM

Node 3343 is up again. But, could not use the Debian system. The install process reported insufficient memory, even though my PC fits the 128MB requirement. So, just created a Centos 4.4 disk and installed that. My backup went fine, used root login to input the repeater password, and all is working again.
--
VY 73,
Wes

The hardware requirements have not been updated since 2012, before Debian 9. It is recommended to have a minimum of 512M RAM for Debian.

I would look for another PC, or perhaps look at converting the node to a Raspberry Pi. CentOS 4.4 is very old, and no longer updated.

David Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2019-05-20 6:03 p.m., Wes wrote:
Node 3343 is up again. But, could not use the Debian system. The install process reported insufficient memory, even though my PC fits the 128MB requirement. So, just created a Centos 4.4 disk and installed that. My backup went fine, used root login to input the repeater password, and all is working again.
--
VY 73,
Wes
AE6ZM
Node 3343

Wes AE6ZM

Understood. I installed the Final version, 4.9, not supported I know. Will look at some of my other PC antiques for possible 'upgrade'.😁
--
VY 73,
Wes

Dave K9DC

If you didn’t try it, you might give the Debian 8 version (IRLP_CD_11.04.iso) a spin. I cannot speak from specific experience (my machines all are RAM rich), but the RAM requirements of Debian 8 might be somewhat less. I don’t think there is a graphical installer even available.

-k9dc