Topics

irlp and echolink mutually exclusive?

Craig, KM6LYW <craig@...>

I just took over an echoirlp installation, and the community claims that echolink users are kicked off if an irlp user joins in some manner.

Is irlp and echolink mutually exclusive on echoirlp systems?

If so, is there a way to disable irlp and retain echolink?   it seems they're inextricably linked through the bridge.   Would it be sufficient
to "unregister" our node from irlp?  if so, process for this?

thanks!

-craig

k9dc

Echolink and IRLP ARE mutually exclusive in EchoIRLP, but neither one kicks anyone off. If the node is on an Echolink call, it is busy to IRLP. Likewise if the node is on an IRLP call, it is busy to Echolink. But no one is bounced off.

EchoIRLP is a script that allows an IRLP node to make and receive calls from the Echolink network if it is idle. But it is on IRLP first and Echolink is a secondary function. It is also not IRLP.net software, so there is no support for it from the IRLP Team. But it usually works just fine.

You cannot disable IRLP and still have Echolink work. It uses the IRLP software entirely, and connects to a locally installed package that bridges the node into the EchoLink network. I suppose you could modify scripts to prevent the node from making IRLP calls, but would be quite painful. If you only want Echolink service, you should just perform a standard Echolink installation, using their software.

-k9dc

On Nov 8, 2019, at 17:18, Craig, KM6LYW <craig@...> wrote:

I just took over an echoirlp installation, and the community claims that echolink users are kicked off if an irlp user joins in some manner.

Is irlp and echolink mutually exclusive on echoirlp systems?

If so, is there a way to disable irlp and retain echolink? it seems they're inextricably linked through the bridge. Would it be sufficient
to "unregister" our node from irlp? if so, process for this?

thanks!

-craig

Craig, KM6LYW <craig@...>

GREAT info - thank you Dave!

I'll see if I can replicate the "kickoff".. just to be sure, since that's not the design behavior obviously.

Maybe un-register ourselves from irlp if the club officers want just echolink -- short term.  I couldn't
find an process to un-register, yet.   and firewalling mynetd seems kinda brutish.

thanks,
-craig

On 11/8/19 3:03 PM, k9dc wrote:
[...]

As I said before, you can NOT disable IRLP and have Echolink work. EchoIRLP requires a fully functional IRLP node to run. If you don’t want IRLP, shut it off and install the official issue Echolink software.

-k9dc

On 11/8/19 3:03 PM, k9dc wrote:
[...]

okay, understood, i'll make that an option for the trustees.

Ideally i'll see to it that irlp and echolink don't bump people off as reported....

thanks!

-craig

k9dc

First of all, I am not an expert in EchoIRLP. But the way echolink calls works with EchoIRLP installed, is an incoming Echolink call first establishes a connection to the theBridge installed on your node. Thebridge then makes a call to localhost (same machine) IRLP. If IRLP is busy, IRLP will refuse the call and theBridge dumps the echolink portion of the call with a “node is connected to” message. It will not allow new calls to be established, if the node is already connected somewhere else. Thats all.

Echolink and IRLP calls ARE mutually exclusive, that is how the product is designed to work. But a new incoming call will not tear down a call that is already fully established.

One of the differences for Echolink users is that IRLP nodes do not support any form of conferencing or multiple connections. The standard echolink software simply conferences many folks together if multiple stations connect to the same node. IRLP OTOH, conferencing is part of the network in the form of reflectors. Regular Echolink users are not used to the concept of “busy”.

If you want to join together the second (or more) callers, you need to install the official issue Echolink package. IRLP and EchoIRLP simply does not do that. Never has, and probably never will.

-k9dc

On 09/11/19 12:56, k9dc wrote:
One of the differences for Echolink users is that IRLP nodes do not support any form of conferencing or multiple connections. The standard echolink software simply conferences many folks together if multiple stations connect to the same node. IRLP OTOH, conferencing is part of the network in the form of reflectors. Regular Echolink users are not used to the concept of “busy”.

If you want to join together the second (or more) callers, you need to install the official issue Echolink package. IRLP and EchoIRLP simply does not do that. Never has, and probably never will.
Dave, that's actually not correct.  EchoIRLP does support multiple
connections, in principle, and in the early years, they were supported
in actuality - the scripting and configuration still have that support
to this day.  However, a change made to the Echolink authentication
servers that prevented people setting up "unofficial" conference servers
using -L and -R callsigns, had the side effect of preventing EchoIRLP
nodes from being able to accept multiple connections (they use the same
software for Echolink functionality).  There is a way around this issue
by using alternative software.  Some work has been done on this by
others, but I'm not sure of the current status.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

k9dc

Tony,
Yup, I knew that. But IIRC, the default installation setup allows for only one. Apparently their robot goes through the network and finds nodes with the conference set to values above 2, and removes them from the network. Forcing them to pay the fee to have a real *conference*.

I could be wrong about that, but that is my recollection. My point for this thread being, if you want full EchoLink functionality and not just an add-on trick for your IRLP node, you are much better off using the true EchoLink package and staying consistent with EchoLink policies.

-k9dc

On Nov 9, 2019, at 04:14, Tony Langdon <@vk3jed> wrote:

Dave, that's actually not correct. EchoIRLP does support multiple
connections, in principle, and in the early years, they were supported
in actuality - the scripting and configuration still have that support
to this day. However, a change made to the Echolink authentication
servers that prevented people setting up "unofficial" conference servers
using -L and -R callsigns, had the side effect of preventing EchoIRLP
nodes from being able to accept multiple connections (they use the same
software for Echolink functionality). There is a way around this issue
by using alternative software. Some work has been done on this by
others, but I'm not sure of the current status.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Ted VE3TRQ

If you want to join together the second (or more) callers, you need to install the official issue Echolink package. IRLP and EchoIRLP simply does not do that. Never has, and probably never will.
Not quite true. For sure, IRLP only allows a single connection, but the EchoLink connection side will allow as many simultaneous connections as your network and your hardware will allow. And as you have configured in the EchoLink configuration. By default, this is set to “2”, so a single user connection is allowed (the connected repeater counts as “1”).

Ted VE3TRQ
Nodes 2403/2404

k9dc

Except that Echolink policy does not allow theBridge to be installed (what EchoIRLP uses) allowing more than 2 to be configured unless you PAY them to run a conference server. They actively scan the network looking for machines configured incorrectly, and block them.

-k9dc