Topics

IRLP OS and USB Drive

Phil Zocco

Greetings, IRLPers.

I am in the process of updating node 5960 to a DN2800MT motherboard and an SSD. I was able to find a board complete with 4G of memory on ebay.

I have also been able to burn the ISO image Version 12.07 to a CD.

The only thing is in that clearing out my box of PC junk, I threw away my old CD-ROMs.

Then I noticed that the MB has no IDE port but it as a number of USB ports. And the MB has SATA ports so using a PNY 120G SSD should work.

My question is this: once I have burned the image to a CD, can I simply copy all of the files from the CD to a USB drive and use that to install the IRLP OS? IOW, will the USB drive be bootable?

Thanks in advance.

73,

Phil N1BOW

John

Hi Phil,

I would suggest checking the BIOS on that MB to see it it allows a USB port to be bootable.

73 John@6163

On 4/12/2019 9:10:20 AM, Phil Zocco (n1bow@...) wrote:
Greetings, IRLPers.
I am in the process of updating node 5960 to a DN2800MT motherboard and an SSD. I was able to find a board complete with 4G of memory on ebay.
I have also been able to burn the ISO image Version 12.07 to a CD. The only thing is in that clearing out my box of PC junk, I threw away my old CD-ROMs.
Then I noticed that the MB has no IDE port but it as a number of USB ports. And the MB has SATA ports so using a PNY 120G SSD should work.
My question is this: once I have burned the image to a CD, can I simply copy all of the files from the CD to a USB drive and use that to install the IRLP OS? IOW, will the USB drive be bootable?
Thanks in advance.
73,
Phil N1BOW

bruce clements

Phil..
Here's the issue I had.
I'm using a pc client booting from a usb stick.
The stick contacts became intermittent.
So I decided to upgrade to something that is still supported.
If your new motherboard is the same structure as my thin client I have just done upgrade using a bootable usb stick with Irlp Iso on it.

I can tell you how I did it if it's compatible.

Bruce Ve3bv

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E