Topics

time announcements distorted

Lyle Maystruck

My time announcements are distorted. All other audio sounds great and has be up for about 4 years now. This just happen about 2 months ago. Any ideas

John

Care to send us the script that calls the time announcement?

John @ 6163

On 18/01/2020 5:55:50 AM, Lyle Maystruck via Groups.Io (ve5kks=yahoo.com@groups.io) wrote:
My time announcements are distorted. All other audio sounds great and has be up for about 4 years now. This just happen about 2 months ago. Any ideas

Lyle Maystruck

Ok Can I just download the script of the time announcement from the embedded node? Thanks for your help

Lyle Maystruck

Well I think I have the right reginaspeaktime file. Please check it if you can and see whats going on in there. Audio is very distorted.

Lyle Maystruck

Can someone help me with this time announcement problem. Its very distorted and I would like to replay it with a good copy. The file is above in the last reply. Thank you

Bob740

I have the same problem. Did you ever get it resolved?

Regards,
Bob Leavitt
KE0SDV
7268

Richard n

It was... I found that I have the same problem with distorted audio, but I couldn't find the relevant message.

Richard, AJ7E
On 7/25/2020 8:13 PM, Bob740 wrote:

I have the same problem. Did you ever get it resolved?

Regards,
Bob Leavitt
KE0SDV
7268

Bob740

What was the solution? I am using a script called speaktime. It is installed in the /home/irlp/features/speaktime directory. The audio files are in the /home/irlp/features/speaktime/audio directory. When played they sound scratchy. The .wav files were updated in November, 2019. I don't know how they got updated, but I think that's when the problem started. The .ul files haven't been updated since 2008. I'm a novice in this area so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
KE0SDV
7268

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Bob740 wrote:
What was the solution? I am using a script called speaktime. [...] When played they sound scratchy. The .wav files were updated in November,
Speaktime doesn't seem to be part of a standard installation, and web-searches are a bit inconclusive (most are archives of this mailing-list!)

...but tell you what, I have access to an Amazon-Alexa-like synthetic voice and can easily create any spoken-word WAVs I want. Send me (off list) a ZIP of your existing scratchy WAVs, or a list of filenames and what they SHOULD say, and I'll send you back a replacement ZIP of nice fresh Alexa-ish ones.

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

Richard n

I think the solution was to replace the files. but I didn't pay much attention to it. I need to fix mine also. Hopefully someone has the answer.

Richard, AJ7E
On 7/27/2020 11:38 AM, Bob740 wrote:

What was the solution? I am using a script called speaktime. It is installed in the /home/irlp/features/speaktime directory. The audio files are in the /home/irlp/features/speaktime/audio directory. When played they sound scratchy. The .wav files were updated in November, 2019. I don't know how they got updated, but I think that's when the problem started. The .ul files haven't been updated since 2008. I'm a novice in this area so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob
KE0SDV
7268

Bob740

I contacted Dave Parks WB8ODF and downloaded his speaktime script from his web site. Works great! It has both American male and Australian female voices. I'll never know why the original speaktime script had scratchy sounding audio but it doesn't matter any more.

David Cameron - IRLP

The problem with this (and many other) scripts written years ago is that the program sox which takes the files as .ul files and pastes them together to make a single, congruent wav file to play changed its arguments, and deprecated and removed the options used.

A new speaktime was written and posted 3 years ago, but it seems to be lost in the groups.io transition.

Any program that uses sox needs to be updated if the operating system is updated.

David Cameron
VE7LTD