Topics

Login and Password

Michael Dougherty

Hello,

I am new to IRLP. A few years ago I purchased a used working imbedded node from a licensed amateur. I had to delay my amateur radio project for health issues. Now that I am back I would like to get my node working. I tried to re-program the node (it will boot)  however I cannot login as I do not have the login and password codes. I tried to contact the previous owner and amateur who programmed the node without in success. They may have moved or passed away let alone remember the login and password. When I purchased the node there was a 13 page manual written by Dave VE7LTD with no mention of the login user ID and password.

Any suggestions as to reset the user ID login and password or will I have to re-install the software.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Michael Dougherty

VE2DPD

Node 2266

John Lorenc

Hi

I suggest your best course of action is to reinstall the node. The PGP keys will be needed and given you are not likely to have a backup, they may need to be reissued. Suggest reaching out to installs@... for assistance.

John va3wm
IRLP 2931, 2248

On May 23, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Michael Dougherty <m.dougherty@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Szajkowski

There is a way to enter  new password I am sure some one will chime up

What OS are you useing ?

Username will either be root or repeater

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On May 23, 2020, at 12:56 PM, John Lorenc <va3xjl@...> wrote:

[...]

There is no node 2266 in the network. If it has been down for more than 90 days (sounds like years in your case), it may have been deleted.

At the very least, you will need to perform a new installation from scratch. Depending on how old it is, that may not be possible without upgrading the hardware. The very first embedded nodes only had 256 MB of flash onboard and actually ran totally from RAM, using a now antique version of Slackware. Newer embedded nodes came with 2 to 8 GB of flash and ran a conventional IRLP installation.

The user ID to log in will be root. But without the password you will not bae able to get in. There a number of methods to perform a password replacement on boot, but you will need to know what OS is on board to perform a search for the procedure. What does it say on the local console after it boots?

Your best bet may be to reach out (email) to installs@ irlp.net and ask for assistance, DaveC monitors installs email, and he may be able to help you figure out exactly what you have.

-k9dc

On May 23, 2020, at 11:46, Michael Dougherty <m.dougherty@...> wrote:

[...]

I will check out the OS, hardware and I will ask the installs group for any
other suggestions before doing anything. Thanks to every one who answered my
email. Mike VE2DPD. 2266.

wrote:

[...]

This document should help you, especially if you have an older embedded node with a flash drive.

David Cameron

On 23/05/2020 8:46 a.m., Michael Dougherty wrote:

[...]

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the information.

My embedded node's OS is sys linux 3.10. Init ver 2.84 and linux 2.4.32
IRLP

Main processor is C2 667 A Mhz 133x5.0. RAM 229376K memory - DDR266 DIMM
2.5-3-3 256 M Transcend. Primary Master Transcend 2.0 Flash drive
Transcend 40 pin IDE Flash module 128. Mother board EPIA-ML rev A

IRLP V3.00 I/O interface 2002.

In the document that you sent, the screens don't seem to be quite the same
as pictured.

Even if I can ''reset'' the password, will this node still work properly or
is the hardware and software outdated ?

Can the motherboard be upgraded.

Can the software be upgraded

Can I salvage anything such as the IRLP board V 3.00

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for your help.

[...]

That sounds like one of the first revisions, based on the VIA ML6000. With only 256M of RAM, it will struggle running Debian 10, but it will work. I have sold embedded upgrade kits to others running that same hardware.

You could recover and reuse the IRLP board. Perhaps consider converting it into a Pi-based node with some minor modification.

I have considered making another batch of upgrade kits for embedded node owners that want to breathe new life into their old nodes. The problem is I need more than just a single order to make it worthwhile.

This kit would take a snapshot of your node and expand it out onto a new flash drive (8GB or larger) to bring you up to date with the software. The current hardware is all capable except the flash disk. I would make the kits for $130, which includes Air Post shipping.

David Cameron

[...]

Hello again Dave,

Thanks again for the valuable information regarding my node.

I would certainly be interested in an upgrade kit. Please keep me posted.

[...]

It should work fine with 256M of RAM, but swapping the RAM chip for something larger would not be too hard. Any used computer store likely has piles of RAM chips for that series of board.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.en.html

David Cameron