Topics

Host Refleector

honda5603@...

I currently have a simplex node for IRLP, but would like to see if I can setup a Reflector for all to use?

Kevin Halton

If you want a channel or two on 9870 let me know. Sitting idle with little traffic 0 and 1 are already assigned.

On Jun 10, 2020, at 3:25 PM, honda5603@... wrote:

I currently have a simplex node for IRLP, but would like to see if I can setup a Reflector for all to use?

David Cameron - IRLP

Hosting a reflector involves four important things:
1) A stable operating platform (computer and hard drive)
2) A stable internet connection with at least 10mbps up/down
3) A static IP address that does not change
4) The need to run your own versus using another.

As pointed out, there are lots that have little use, and no need to add another unless you are bringing up a network of 20+ repeaters full time and want it to be available to others.

On 10/06/2020 12:34 p.m., Kevin Halton wrote:
If you want a channel or two on 9870 let me know. Sitting idle with little traffic 0 and 1 are already assigned.

On Jun 10, 2020, at 3:25 PM, honda5603@... wrote:

I currently have a simplex node for IRLP, but would like to see if I can setup a Reflector for all to use?

k9dc

It also needs its OWN static IP address, IOW it cannot share the same connection as your IRLP node, unless you have multiple public IP addresses.

Alternatively you also could set up your own Experimental reflector (in fact that is what I thought you were asking about). There are a few folks around here that can help you do that.

FWIW the 9600 reflector generally has no one on it at all. It is in Australia, but it really works very well regardless of where you are located.

-k9dc

On Jun 10, 2020, at 17:51, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

Hosting a reflector involves four important things:
1) A stable operating platform (computer and hard drive)
2) A stable internet connection with at least 10mbps up/down
3) A static IP address that does not change
4) The need to run your own versus using another.

As pointed out, there are lots that have little use, and no need to add another unless you are bringing up a network of 20+ repeaters full time and want it to be available to others.

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

1) A stable operating platform (computer and hard drive)
2) A stable internet connection with at least 10mbps up/down
3) A static IP address that does not change
4) The need to run your own versus using another.
1) Check (99.99%uptime for 8yrs), 2) Check (10gigabit), 3) Check (6, and
more if I want 'em), 4) Check ('cos I'm not even wanting it to be a
REFLECTOR as such)
It also needs its OWN static IP address, IOW it cannot share the same connection as your IRLP node, unless you have multiple public IP addresses.
Check.
Alternatively you also could set up your own Experimental reflector (in fact that is what I thought you were asking about).
*I* was wanting an Experimental reflector, but mine was the
"Experimental nodes" thread, not this "Host Refleector" thread... which
is fine. The more the merrier!   :-D

I was wanting an Experimental reflector because I'm not wanting to
"reflect" as such. I want to be able to accept an incoming connection,
get a bit of info about WHICH NODE has connected, feed that through a
bunch of other scripts I've written, play some WAVs at them, and
disconnect, but I'm still not entirely sure where to begin on the
IRLP-signalling and GPG bits. I'm NOT wanting to impact operation of my
actual node, which is a different machine on a completely different IP,
I'm wanting to use the server above.

I'm assuming it would need a different GPG key (right?), presumably SOME
of the IRLP code (mynetd? irlpd? irlp_answer? remote_admin_server?) but
at some point (scripts/control? scripts/on? custom/custom_on?) I jump in
and send audio to imike (which is SpeakFreely? Which went EOL in 2004?
But was reborn on sourceforge honest?) instead of an actual microphone?
Or do sfreflect / thelinkbox replace imike too? And is tbd part of the
picture, or is that only if EchoLink is involved? thelinkbox (tlb) is
based on thebridge (tbd) if I understand right?

I assume need "just enough IRLP" to register in the IRLP
DNS/status.irlp/etc (scripts/ipupdate?), accept connections (mynetd
etc?), do some GPG auth(?), then have something imike-like throw a bunch
of WAVS/RAW/whatever back at the caller, and disconnect cleanly. I think
I want to allow multiple simultaneous inbound connections, but they're
not joined/talkign to each other, in fact inbound audio can be
dropped/ignored, but they need to be receiving *different* collections
of pre-prepared outbound WAVs/RAW/whatever. I don't think I need any of
the irlp_port, dtmf, scripts/decode, none of the IRLP hardware or even a
soundcard, as this is internet-side only, 100% digital, no analogue, no RF?

I'm fluent in Linux, BASH, Perl, C/Python/JAVA if I have to, but still
confused as to where to start. Is there any "developer documentation"
beyond what I've explored in http://irlp.net/owners/ ?

Thanks
Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

k9dc

Experimental nodes/reflector (same thing) are not really part of the IRLP network per se. We simply offer a number, mapped to a specific public IP address or name. There are no keys issued and no security at all. If you want the connection secured, it is up to you to set it up, otherwise it is open to any IP address on the Internet. All you have to do is set a specific IP address or name for the reflector/node, select a codec you want to use, and duplex mode. Once established, it can never be changed. Only IRLP nodes explicitly optioned will be able to connect.

IRLP.net does not provide any software for them. You can choose whatever product you want, generic sfreflect, linkbox, theBridge, up to you to get it working. Take a look on your node, at the file scripts/exp-x-reference to see what other folks are using.

In order to connect, nodes must be explicitly be set up to allow connections to experimental nodes. export ALLOW_EXPERIMENTAL_NODES=YES

-k9dc

On Jun 10, 2020, at 23:28, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

[...]

David McAnally

These two links should help you get started with experimental nodes.

David M.
WD5M

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:33 PM Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:

> [...]

not joined/talkign to each other, in fact inbound audio can be
dropped/ignored, but they need to be receiving *different* collections
of pre-prepared outbound WAVs/RAW/whatever. I don't think I need any of
the irlp_port, dtmf, scripts/decode, none of the IRLP hardware or even a
soundcard, as this is internet-side only, 100% digital, no analogue, no RF?

I'm fluent in Linux, BASH, Perl, C/Python/JAVA if I have to, but still
confused as to where to start. Is there any "developer documentation"
beyond what I've explored in http://irlp.net/owners/ ?

Thanks
Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
Start a nasty rumor and see if you recognize it when it comes back to you.

Thanks David!

On Jun 11, 2020, at 00:46, David McAnally <David.McAnally@...> wrote:

These two links should help you get started with experimental nodes.
<http://experimental.irlp.net/>
<https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/51228>

David M.
WD5M

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

k9dc wrote:
Experimental nodes/reflector (same thing) are not really part of the IRLP network per se. We simply offer a number, mapped to a specific public IP address or name.  There are no keys issued and no security at all. [...]
Take a look on your node, at the file scripts/exp-x-reference

Oooooooooh, I see, it's essentially "just" a regular SpeakFreely host that happens to be in an IRLP phone-book? ... and they connect on the default SpeakFreely port?

So in fact I probably can't even particularly tell what IRLP node ID has connected to me, well I s'pose unless I rsync the IRLP hosts file from time to time and hope the connecting IP address is listed? Or does the node identify itself (albeit unauthenticated) as part of the SpeakFreely protocol?

In order to connect, nodes must be explicitly be set up to allow connections to experimental nodes.  export ALLOW_EXPERIMENTAL_NODES=YES

Gotcha, although if they're going to connect under cron for a WX report every few hours, they could presumably ...

MM HH,HH,HH * * * [ -f $LOCAL/active ] || ALLOW_EXPERIMENTAL_NODES=YES $SCRIPT/experimental_call expNNNN

... to enable it "just for this cronjob"?

WD5M wrote:

These two links should help you get started with experimental nodes.
Was aware of the first, not the second, thanks! Will be following the process shortly, once I've worked out the SpeakFreely/sreflect/TLB/TheBridge bits.

Cheers!
Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
He who hesitates is last.

On 13/06/20 13:00, Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:
k9dc wrote:
Experimental nodes/reflector (same thing) are not really part of the IRLP network per se. We simply offer a number, mapped to a specific public IP address or name. There are no keys issued and no security at all. [...]
Take a look on your node, at the file scripts/exp-x-reference
Oooooooooh, I see, it's essentially "just" a regular SpeakFreely host
that happens to be in an IRLP phone-book? ... and they connect on the
default SpeakFreely port?
For all intents and purposes, yes.  And yes, the default port (2074) is
used.

So in fact I probably can't even particularly tell what IRLP node ID
has connected to me, well I s'pose unless I rsync the IRLP hosts file
from time to time and hope the connecting IP address is listed? Or
does the node identify itself (albeit unauthenticated) as part of the
SpeakFreely protocol?
IRLP nodes should set the Speak Freely variables when they make the
connection.  If your experimental reflector runs tbd or tlb, the IRLP
nodes will be listed as "stnXXXX" (XXXX being the node number).  Other
stations (and nodes which aren't setting the variables correctly) will
appear as their IP address.  I can't comment on how sfreflect sees
connections to it from IRLP nodes.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

David Cameron - IRLP

IRLP nodes set the RTP NAME and ID in calls to refectors and experimental nodes:

# Modification for integrated reflector - VK3JED March 29 2005.
# Set Environment Variables for Speak Freely
# NOTE: $REFLECT_PASSWORD currently not used. Reserved for future use
export SPEAKFREE_CNAME="${CALLSIGN}"
export SPEAKFREE_ID="${CONVERTED_STATIONID} IRLP"::"${REFLECT_PASSWORD}"

These show up in the "active_ips" file of IRLP reflectors and somehow in the TLB and TBD programs.

You can also use monitors to see what IPs connect. You could do a blanket allow to allow all IRLP IPs by default, or choose what to do as each system connects.