Topics

Alinco DR-135 VHF as Node Link Radio

Klaus Rung

Has anyone had experience using the DR-135 vhf mobile as a node radio? My question is does the pin 1 cos on the db-9 packet connector follow the carrier squelch of the radio only, or does it change to follow the decoder when ctcss is enabled in the menu settings, thus then working as true gating radio for use with subaudible gating over an appropriately configured analog repeater using tone gating on the repeater tx.

Klaus
ve3kr

k9dc

Klaus,
The Alincos work great for Simplex nodes, but they are awful (useless) for repeater linking, because the built-in tone decoder is terribly slow. Like 2 seconds to drop after the tone goes away. Making them completely unusable on a repeater. If you perform surgery on the radio and install some other type of decoder, you might be able to get one to work. But that kind of removes the plug and play attributes most folks are looking for with that radio.

-k9dc

On Oct 30, 2019, at 12:56, Klaus Rung via Groups.Io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone had experience using the DR-135 vhf mobile as a node radio? My question is does the pin 1 cos on the db-9 packet connector follow the carrier squelch of the radio only, or does it change to follow the decoder when ctcss is enabled in the menu settings, thus then working as true gating radio for use with subaudible gating over an appropriately configured analog repeater using tone gating on the repeater tx.

Klaus
ve3kr

Keehan Dowd

I use the DR-435 (UHF) for my node and pin 1 on the packet port follows the decoder.  It's slow to decode though (feels like about 0.5 seconds worst case), but that's fine for a simplex node like mine.

Regards,
Keehan - VA6KD
Node 1788

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:56 AM Klaus Rung via Groups.Io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anyone had experience using the DR-135 vhf mobile as a node radio? My question is does the pin 1 cos on the db-9 packet connector follow the carrier squelch of the radio only, or does it change to follow the decoder when ctcss is enabled in the menu settings, thus then working as true gating radio for use with subaudible gating over an appropriately configured analog repeater using tone gating on the repeater tx.

Klaus
ve3kr

Klaus Rung

This setup is being used by Hugh in St. Kitt's to a Bridgecomm repeater but is showing at 900ms of pulseback and is useless the way it is. I have never used an Alinco and the manual is not clear if pin 1 stays on carrier squelch after ctcss is invoked so I asked.

I think there might be something else wrong with the setup of the Bridgecomm Repeater not slaving the encoder to the received ctcss tone of the repeater receiver. This should work fine for them as we have a couple of Bridgecomms that do work well over the air direct to the repeater channel but the nodes are not using Alinco radios.

Klaus
ve3kr

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 1:09:39 p.m. EDT, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok, I guess that is the answer then, the radio is useless for over the air usage like we need to do. One radio that works very well is the Yaesu FT-2600m as I have a couple of them and have used them with success. It has a db-9 packet output that has the ctcss option on the cos line and works very well over the air. Unfortunately they never made a uhf version of that radio that I know of.

Klaus
ve3kr

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019, 1:07:55 p.m. EDT, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:

Klaus,
The Alincos work great for Simplex nodes, but they are awful (useless) for repeater linking, because the built-in tone decoder is terribly slow.  Like 2 seconds to drop after the tone goes away. Making them completely unusable on a repeater.  If you perform surgery on the radio and install some other type of decoder, you might be able to get one to work. But that kind of removes the plug and play attributes most folks are looking for with that radio.

-k9dc

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 12:56, Klaus Rung via Groups.Io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Has anyone had experience using the DR-135 vhf mobile as a node radio? My question is does the pin 1 cos on the db-9 packet connector follow the carrier squelch of the radio only, or does it change to follow the decoder when ctcss is enabled in the menu settings, thus then working as true gating radio for use with subaudible gating over an appropriately configured analog repeater using tone gating on the repeater tx.
>
> Klaus
> ve3kr

k9dc

If you got a 900 ms pulseback, you have a good one! Typically it is 1500 - 2000. Like you said, useless. COS is based on tone decode though, so that much they got right.

-k9dc

On Oct 30, 2019, at 13:35, Klaus Rung via Groups.Io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

This setup is being used by Hugh in St. Kitt's to a Bridgecomm repeater but is showing at 900ms of pulseback and is useless the way it is. I have never used an Alinco and the manual is not clear if pin 1 stays on carrier squelch after ctcss is invoked so I asked.

I think there might be something else wrong with the setup of the Bridgecomm Repeater not slaving the encoder to the received ctcss tone of the repeater receiver. This should work fine for them as we have a couple of Bridgecomms that do work well over the air direct to the repeater channel but the nodes are not using Alinco radios.

Klaus
ve3kr

Marshall Oldham

Klaus,

These Alinco radios work fine for standalone simplex nodes.

If you want to use them for continous duty to link to a busy repeater or reflector you need to do the following mods to make them depedable.

Mod  the radio for an aftermarket tone decoder. See this link.

http://www.irlpcables.com/AlincoTS64.html

You will also need to run the radio at 5 watts and install a fan to keep it cool. Here is a link that shows and explains how to do it.

http://www.irlpcables.com/alinco_drxx5t_mobile.html

73

Marshall - ke6pcv

[...]

Ok thanks Marshall for that info. I can pass that along to the node radio owner to see if he wants to go that far to fix the problems of the radio.

73
Klaus