Topics

APRS script for Debian 10

Chris Pitre

I have one final question regarding NODE 2803.

EchoIRLP is now working.  Password issue.

Regarding the APRS script.  If the NODE is connected it does not automatically beacon from I to C status. the status will change if done manually.

It will automatically beacon the status from C to I however.

Maybe an issue with the custom on script?

Is there a fix to this?
 VE3ZO
NODE 2803

John

Have you edited both custom_on and custom_off
and entered this: ${CUSTOM}/aprs_status &

73 John @ 6163

On 13/06/2020 1:44 am, Chris Pitre wrote:
I have one final question regarding NODE 2803.
EchoIRLP is now working.  Password issue.
Regarding the APRS script.  If the NODE is connected it does not automatically beacon from I to C status. the status will change if done manually.
It will automatically beacon the status from C to I however.
Maybe an issue with the custom on script?
Is there a fix to this?
 VE3ZO
NODE 2803

Chris Pitre

custom_on  yes

custom_off yes

$ {CUSTOM}/aprs_status &

The above is what is entered

John

If your aprs status is configured correctly
why is your 2803 node indicating a U on the irlp status page?
It should how an O

John

On 13/06/2020 11:43:46 PM, Chris Pitre (ve3ctp@...) wrote:
custom_on  yes
custom_off yes
$ {CUSTOM}/aprs_status

John

Chris,

2nd option
Make sure the entry in the environment file reads:
export CUSTOM_OFF=YES
export CUSTOM_OFF=YES
YES, UPPERCASE

There has to be a simple reason why it will show status from
C to I but not I to C
Please enlarge on what you mean by
"the status will change if done manually."

Your node show up on <http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?irlp*>
and also at <https://aprs.fi/info/a/IRLP-2803>

73 John @ 6163

On 13/06/2020 11:43:46 PM, Chris Pitre (ve3ctp@...) wrote:
custom_on  yes
custom_off yes
$ {CUSTOM}/aprs_status

Chris Pitre

# You have to create script files in /home/irlp/custom called custom_on
# and/or custom_off.
export CUSTOM_ON=YES
export CUSTOM_OFF=YES

The above is what is in the environment file.

if your aprs status is configured correctly
why is your 2803 node indicating a U on the irlp status page?
It should how an O

?????

There has to be a simple reason why it will show status from
C to I but not I to C
Please enlarge on what you mean by
"the status will change if done manually."

if the aprs_status script is run the node will update but it will not update automatically.

Chris Pitre

f your aprs status is configured correctly
why is your 2803 node indicating a U on the irlp status page?
It should how an O

Changed it to O for OPEN

John

Not that the irlp status page setting would have any bearing on
the status beacon of your node, it was just a stab in the dark.
I believe the O stands for operational, buggered if I recall what U means.

If all else is configured correctly Chris,
and the aprs status can be updated if run manually
what else is left to change?
1. is the custom.crons file correct (corrupted?)
1b. is it worth deleting that entry and run the command listed last in README_aprs
2. would a change of aprs server be worth while
3. call update files (I presume you would know this)
4. read the README_aprs cover to cover
5. what version are you running?
6. (should have been #1 question) which page are you monitoring
when you see the aprs status change from I to C and the reverse.

Just trying to find that sweet spot
John 73

On 14/06/2020 12:42:48 PM, Chris Pitre (ve3ctp@...) wrote:
f your aprs status is configured correctly
why is your 2803 node indicating a U on the irlp status page?
It should how an O
Changed it to O for OPEN

Chris Pitre

now it will update, but not immediately after it is connected.  there is a delay

was wondering if something here needs to be adjusted

SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=xterm
BASH_ENV=/home/irlp/.profile
0 0 1 * * (/home/irlp/scripts/rotatelog > /dev/null 2>&1)
30 3 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/clean_old_audio > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 3 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/update_files_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 * * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/process_check > /dev/null 2>&1)
*/15 * * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/ipupdate_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 */6 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/statupdate_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)

John

now it will update, but not immediately after it is connected.  there is a delay
was wondering if something here needs to be adjusted

SHELL=/bin/bash
TERM=xterm
BASH_ENV=/home/irlp/.profile
0 0 1 * * (/home/irlp/scripts/rotatelog > /dev/null 2>&1)
30 3 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/clean_old_audio > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 3 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/update_files_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 * * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/process_check > /dev/null 2>&1)
*/15 * * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/ipupdate_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)
0 */6 * * * (/home/irlp/scripts/statupdate_cron > /dev/null 2>&1)

In the 1st case, I might suggest having a word with the iGate operator.
What you pasted here looks like the root cron jobs.
What is entered in the custom.crons file for the aprs status
But the custom cron is used to send a beacon every xx minutes, NOT the status of your node.
A search back through the group emails on aprs might reveal a clue.
I might search for comments on the iGate operation.
Is the same person contactable on air?

John

Chris Pitre

# Run the aprs_status script every 10 minutes, with a random offset
3,13,23,33,43,53 * * * * (/home/irlp/custom/aprs_status >/dev/null 2>&1)

That is probably what I should have posted.

I am using APRS.FI to check the status

Using ver 4.0 of the aprs script
Using Debian 10

I run the local IGate and have it configured for NODE 2803 to INET to RF

When I run the sh /tmp/post_install_aprs.sh from root

SH: 0: Can't open /tmp/post_install_aprs.sh

that doesn't seem right to me

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

John wrote:
Not that the irlp status page setting would have any bearing on
the status beacon of your node, it was just a stab in the dark.
Well actually... I'm hoping to fix that pretty soon, and was intending
to beta-test with all the VE3/VA3 nodes first. Then nobody needs to run
these scripts on their nodes, they just update status.irlp.net in the
usual way, and within a minute or so it should get to APRS, and *IF* you
have any local igates willing to send it back to RF, it will get back to
RF too.

Not enabled yet, was trying to clarify some details like FROMCALL,
TOCALL, etc. I'll announce here as soon as it's online.

I believe the O stands for operational, buggered if I recall what U
means.
Officially I0 (india zero) mean IRLP and E0 (echo zero) means EchoLink,
/L (slash Lima) means "Link", /r (slash romeo) means "voice repeater"
and there are no other official repeater symbols I'm aware of in any
official APRS documentation.

... however the most popular undocumented defacto standard seems to use
I0 for idle, C0 for connected, B0 for busy, O0 (Oscar zero) for offline.

I'm not aware of U being used, at least not for IRLP objects, in any
notable numbers, not in my "big data analysis" of all of April/May/June.

... but I think you're referring to something else - the "AVRS Status"
field? I never found a good description of what those MEAN, but they are
"Open", "Closed", "Assisted", or "Unknown".

73! Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...