Topics

backup_for_reinstall

Brian Alexander

I would like to run backup_for_reinstall as a cron job every month or so and then gather the tgz with scp from another host. However, backup_for_reinstall is an interactive script on my release of the software. This is not really a problem, as I can feed it the input it expects. I am wondering whether it continues to be interactive in most recent releases and whether it will likely always be so.

Brian VA3AZA

Brian,

If you have trouble with the backup script at all, I can write you one that is totally autonomous and all ya have to do is call it from your cron job.

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 9:34:38 PM EST, Brian Alexander via Groups.Io <va3aza@...> wrote:

I would like to run backup_for_reinstall as a cron job every month or so and then gather the tgz with scp from another host. However, backup_for_reinstall is an interactive script on my release of the software. This is not really a problem, as I can feed it the input it expects. I am wondering whether it continues to be interactive in most recent releases and whether it will likely always be so.

Brian VA3AZA

Brian Alexander

Dave;

Thanks for the offer. The supplied backup is fine. I’m just worried I’ll eventually use it when the expected inputs have changed — the perils of set it and forget it. Unfortunately, I’m quite good at the “forgetting” part.

Brian VA3AZA

On Jan 12, 2020, at 9:54 PM, Dave Parks - WB8ODF via Groups.Io <wb8odf@...> wrote:

Brian,

If you have trouble with the backup script at all, I can write you one that is totally autonomous and all ya have to do is call it from your cron job.

>< Dave Parks ><
WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 9:34:38 PM EST, Brian Alexander via Groups.Io <va3aza@...> wrote:

I would like to run backup_for_reinstall as a cron job every month or so and then gather the tgz with scp from another host. However, backup_for_reinstall is an interactive script on my release of the software. This is not really a problem, as I can feed it the input it expects. I am wondering whether it continues to be interactive in most recent releases and whether it will likely always be so.

Brian VA3AZA

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Brian Alexander via Groups.Io wrote:
[...] I am wondering whether it continues to be interactive in most
recent releases and whether it will likely always be so.
Mine (up-to-date, latest release), when run AS ROOT, seems to (take quite some time to) generate a tar file without interaction, then ask...

Do you have a USB stick inserted for the backup file? : (Y/n)

You can make it non-interactive by simply:

echo n | sudo ~repeater/scripts/backup_for_reinstall

... which is presumably exactly what you mean by "feed it the input it expects".

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...