Can't download HTTPS pages on Debian node

Ross J

Hello group,

Forecast.weather.gov finally moved to https, wget and lynx can’t/won’t download https pages.

“Looking up forecast.weather.gov

Making HTTPS connection to forecast.weather.gov

Retrying connection without TLS.

Looking up forecast.weather.gov

Making HTTPS connection to forecast.weather.gov

Alert!: Unable to make secure connection to remote host.”

I’ve tied other https sources same error. I’m not a Linux pro I know just enough to write basic scripts .crons ect. I’m not sure where to start looking. Updated wget and the same error occurred. Any ideas where to start?

Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

Warm Regards,

Ross kc7rjk

Node: 3543

David Cameron - IRLP

You have to upgrade the node to run a newer version of Debian. The issue is the openSSL is too old to talk to new encryption. You might be able to find a statically linked version of curl that might do the job.

I just wrote a new script to locally download and play ARNewsline and I had to use the latest version of Debian (Buster - 10) in order to make the https work.

The script uses both lynx and wget.

Dave Cameron

On 2021-01-21 5:24 p.m., mytruckownsit wrote:
Hello group,
Forecast.weather.gov finally moved to https, wget and lynx can’t/won’t download https pages.
“Looking up forecast.weather.gov
Making HTTPS connection to forecast.weather.gov
Retrying connection without TLS.
Looking up forecast.weather.gov
Making HTTPS connection to forecast.weather.gov
Alert!: Unable to make secure connection to remote host.”
I’ve tied other https sources same error. I’m not a Linux pro I know just enough to write basic scripts .crons ect. I’m not sure where to start looking. Updated wget and the same error occurred. Any ideas where to start?
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686
Warm Regards,
Ross kc7rjk
Node: 3543

Ross J

Thanks Dave for the quick response.

I have over 50 scripts, many not commented very well (learned that the hard way) I'm worried upgrading will break everything from sepstral to .cron scripts. I'm at a loss what to do without spending days loosing what little hair I have left.

I use lynx -dump to parse much of what goes through the node, I'm not sure if curl (even if I got it working) would work well.

I'm open to suggestions for the best plan of attack knowing I'm not very pithy with Linux. Uhhhg....

Thanks everyone.