Topics

Cant adjust mic level on HP thin client

Lonney [K1LH]

I just resurrected my node with an Alinco DR-135 which I've been using for years with my node, its audio levels are fixed via the data port connections.

The node computer has been changed to an old HP T5000 thin client with the IRLP Debian 8 install (9 or later wont install due to 128MB ram limitation).

Card: VIA 8235
Chip: VIA Technologies VIA1612A

in alsamixer I cannot find a way to adjust the mic level, I can turn the 20dB boost on and off. With it off audio level too low, with it on its way too hot.

Tried every slider there is up down makes no different to the mic level.

Suggestions?

Lonney
K1LH
Node 7441

Fred

Look for a slider that says capture.  That’ll adjust it

On Sep 12, 2020, at 2:54 PM, Lonney [K1LH] via groups.io <lonney.harper@...> wrote:

I just resurrected my node with an Alinco DR-135 which I've been using for years with my node, its audio levels are fixed via the data port connections.

The node computer has been changed to an old HP T5000 thin client with the IRLP Debian 8 install (9 or later wont install due to 128MB ram limitation).

Card: VIA 8235
Chip: VIA Technologies VIA1612A

in alsamixer I cannot find a way to adjust the mic level, I can turn the 20dB boost on and off. With it off audio level too low, with it on its way too hot.

Tried every slider there is up down makes no different to the mic level.

Suggestions?

Lonney
K1LH
Node 7441

Lonney [K1LH]

Maybe this time, attaching images either way shrinks them too small to see anything.

https://qsl.net/k1lh/IRLP/AlsaMixer_STN7441_HPTC.jpg <- screen grab of mixer options, not seeing capture.

Gary - AG0N

On Sep 12, 2020, at 14:28, Lonney [K1LH] via groups.io <lonney.harper=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Not seeing it, screen grab attached.
Way too small to read!

Gary - 3055

Lonney [K1LH]

Found it with the help of Fred on a quick IRLP call, I needed to hit the F4 key to switch to the input/capture settings.

Thanks Fred!

John

Are you using root or repeater to adjust the alsamixer settings?
Youy screen dump indicates repeater?
What do you see when you hit F4 (capture)
With 'capture' selected, can you change that slider by toggling the 'space bar'

Ahhh Fred beat me to it :)

73 John @ 6163

On 13/09/2020 6:32:46 AM, Lonney [K1LH] via groups.io (lonney.harper=icloud.com@groups.io) wrote:
Maybe this time, attaching images either way shrinks them too small to see anything.
https://qsl.net/k1lh/IRLP/AlsaMixer_STN7441_HPTC.jpg <- screen grab of mixer options, not seeing capture.

Lonney [K1LH]

Thanks John.

> Your screen dump indicates repeater?

I disable root logins over SSH, a better practice is to SSH with a regular user account, then use "su -" with out the quotes to switch to root. In that screen dump I had switched to root to modify the mixer settings :-)

On systems with sudo if you get tried of putting sudo in-front of everything or having to re-enter the password, you and do "sudo -i" with out the quotes to switch to a root prompt.

Ctrl D will drop you back to the previous user, another Ctrl D will log out.

- Lonney