Topics

Changing 73 for ending connections

VK3AJ

Hi All,

We have a situation where an unknown person will send the 73 code during other peoples calls on a node, particularly when connected to a conference through EchoIRLP.

I’ve been looking through the manuals but can’t find a way to disable or change the 73 command to something else.

Is this possible and if so, how do I do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Peter Chaplin

peter@...

Nodes 6371, 6372, 6373 and 6374

Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit – Melbourne, Australia.

Repeater Coordinator

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

k9dc

On Jul 31, 2020, at 07:08, VK3AJ <vk3aj@...> wrote:

Hi All,

We have a situation where an unknown person will send the 73 code during other peoples calls on a node, particularly when connected to a conference through EchoIRLP.
I’ve been looking through the manuals but can’t find a way to disable or change the 73 command to something else. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it.
Peter Chaplin

Since you have EchoIRLP installed you need to edit /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode. In it, there is a line

if [ "$1" = "73" ] ; then "$ECHO_SCRIPT"/echo_end ; exit 1 ; fi

You can “hash" out the original by placing a # in front of that line, leaving it in the file. Then Replace it with two lines.

if [ "$1" = "73" ] ; then exit 1 ; fi
if [ "$1" = "99" ] ; then "$ECHO_SCRIPT"/echo_end ; exit 1 ; fi

The first line traps out “73” and sets it to be ignored.
The second line changes the disconnect code to “99"

In general, be very careful. custom_decode (actually all scripts) are very sensitive to syntax, capitalization, punctuation and so forth. It is very easy to render your node completely inoperative. OTOH, if something you did breaks it, just take out what you did, and it will be fixed.

I recommend using an editor on board the node (pico or nano) to make these changes. Do not pull a file off, edit it on windows, and push it back. This will cause file ownership and permissions problems. Windows has no concept of Linux permissions.

-k9dc

VK3AJ

Thanks you very much.
Does the new code need to be 2 digits or can it be 3?

Regards,

Peter Chaplin
peter@...
VK3AJ
Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit
Repeater Coordinator
0418 328 882

[...]

It can be whatever you want. Remember * = S and # = P

On Jul 31, 2020, at 08:44, VK3AJ <vk3aj@...> wrote:

Thanks you very much.
Does the new code need to be 2 digits or can it be 3?

Regards,

Peter Chaplin
peter@...
VK3AJ
Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit
Repeater Coordinator
0418 328 882

k9dc

If you wanted to get carried away, you *could* configure it such that 73 is only ignored during your net. 73 would return to normal after the net is taken down.

Alternative to ignore, you could make “73” play a local recording, “Sorry bogan, not this time” Either just during your net, or all the time.

-k9dc