Topics

Conditional Node Access System?

Bill Gade

Well, to give the list a real test, here is something I wan't comments
on. I while ago (back in the days before 70 nodes : )), I proposed making
it so that even with a node with a preaccess code, one could still call
home without knowing the preaccess code.

I have been hashing through how to do it for some time and I think I may
have figured out a way that doesn't cause too much trouble.

Basically, it would mean each node would have a preaccess code - this
doesn't mean that each node would have to use it, it just needs to have
one. Hopefully two or three numbers (we would need to be standardized on
how many digits and it would be a good idea to keep funny things like
letters and * and # out of them).

Each preaccess code would be recorded in a database similar to the one
that runs the stats - no one would be able to see them except the actualy
linux machines running the nodes.

The scenario would go like this. If no preaccess code is required on a
node, you use it just like you do now. If a node has a preaccess code and
you know it, you use it. But, if you are somewhere and the node you are
trying to use has a preaccess code that you don't know, you would be able
to dial your home node's preaccess code followed by your home nodes node
number and still connect.

This would prevent you from making calls all over the place but it would
allow you to talk to your home system where you are already an IRLP
supporter.

It would keep non-irlp supporters off of systems that don't want them
while allowing anyone who is an IRLP supporter to at least talk to home if
they can't find someone to grant them full access to the node which is
closed.

Questions and comments please.

Bill Gade
VE4WO

T. Glen Haggard <glen@...>

I like it, do you have script to run it?

Glen

[...]

f.marks@...

Sounds like a great idea, Why don't you make the preaccess code
the same as the node #. 3 Digits and easy to remember!

73's from
VE1FSM
Frank Marks
Webmaster of
http://www.westcumb.com
ve1fsm@...

Tony Langdon <tlangdon@...>

Well, to give the list a real test, here is something I wan't comments
on. I while ago (back in the days before 70 nodes : )), I
proposed making
it so that even with a node with a preaccess code, one could
still call
home without knowing the preaccess code.
<snip>

I don't know how practical this is to implement, but it sounds like a good
idea, as long as the preaccess codes can be reliably distributed in a timely
fashion (hey, this is Linux, why not? :) ).

It would also require some form of "phone home" code for non prefixed
nodes... For example, if someone from a non prefixed node was travelling
and wanted to phone home, how do they? If you're not careful, they could be
an innocent victim of a more open policy in their area, even if they're
supporting their local node!

So, one would need a "DIALHOMEPREFIX" (which in Australia, I would be
reccommending all VK nodes to set to the current national prefix...).

Tony Langdon <tlangdon@...>

Sounds like a great idea, Why don't you make the preaccess code
the same as the node #. 3 Digits and easy to remember!
Kind of defeats the purpose as node numbers are now public, so the prefix is
"guessable"... :)