Topics

Connect and disconnect audio files are from someone else's node

n7bfs

It appears that when someone connects to my node 3454 it plays another nodes (possibly old) connect and disconnect audio files (someone else's callsign).
Is there a way to force it to play 'generic' audio files?
I don't really want custom connect and disconnect audio for this particular node and can't seem to find a previous post in the group that details how I would 'default' my nodes connect and disconnect files.

Thoughts?

Doug
N7BFS

David McAnally

You might try using this script from the group files area to create default on/off audio files to submit.

David M.
WD5M

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 7:40 PM n7bfs <doug.n7bfs@...> wrote:
It appears that when someone connects to my node 3454 it plays another nodes (possibly old) connect and disconnect audio files (someone else's callsign).
Is there a way to force it to play 'generic' audio files?
I don't really want custom connect and disconnect audio for this particular node and can't seem to find a previous post in the group that details how I would 'default' my nodes connect and disconnect files.

Thoughts?

Doug
N7BFS

n7bfs

Thanks David, I may give that a try.
Mostly I was trying to figure out why my node didn't play a default node ID and instead was playing someone elses node ID instead, since I never did load a 'custom' node ID when I first got the node.

Anyways, if I have to I know I can generate files and upload them but was wondering if there was a simple 'switch' that would just use the computer generated 'default' voice ID's.

Doug

Dave Schultheis

Doug BFS wrote:

It appears that when someone connects to my node 3454 it plays another nodes (possibly old) connect and disconnect audio files (someone else's callsign).
Is there a way to force it to play 'generic' audio files?
I don't really want custom connect and disconnect audio for this particular node and can't seem to find a previous post in the group that details how I would 'default' my nodes connect and disconnect files.

As I recall from someone "in the know" posting here quite a while back, it is not possible to go back to default or generic ID.

David M. suggested a way around the problem and that may be your only option.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will jump all over it right quick.

--

Dave Schultheis
WB6KHP San Jose

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

n7bfs wrote:
Anyways, if I have to I know I can generate files and upload them but was wondering if there was a simple 'switch' that would just use the computer generated 'default' voice ID's.
Unfortunately not. It's a limitation of the "rsync" file sync system that IRLP uses. Essentially it's easy to synchronise NEW files, it's fairly easy to synchronise UPDATED files (by comparing datestamps), but it's hard to synchronise LACK OF file - it looks functionally the same as a new file on the opposite end.

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Dave Schultheis wrote:
As I recall from someone "in the know" posting here quite a while back, it is not possible to go back to default or generic ID.
[...]
If I am wrong, I am sure someone will jump all over it right quick.
I suspect there's a way to combine all the right combinations of default recordings to make a NEW recording that SOUNDS THE SAME AS a default one?

If there IS a file called audio/1234on.wav (or if one can be fetched from irlp.org) it will play that
OTHERWISE it will play audio/nodenum.wav audio/1.wav audio/2.wav audio/3.wav audio/4.wav audio/linkon.wav (or audio/nodenum.wav audio/1.wav audio/2.wav audio/3.wav audio/4.wav audio/linkoff.wav on the way down)...

So I bet you can do something like...

cd ~repeater/audio
sox nodenum.wav 1.wav 2.wav 3.wav 4.wav linkon.wav /tmp/stn1234on.wav
sox nodenum.wav 1.wav 2.wav 3.wav 4.wav linkoff.wav /tmp/stn1234off.wav

... except with your node ID instead of 1.wav 2.wav 3.wav 4.wav and  stn1234
... and if that seems to have worked:

scripts/send_wave_files

You'll have a NEW pair of on/off audio files, but they'll SOUND a lot like the default ones?

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...
Keep America beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.

larry_n7fm

Hi Doug,

I have used David's script to redo a node I sold a while back. Give it a try it will do what you want.

Larry - N7FM

On 8/29/20 6:01 PM, n7bfs wrote:
Thanks David, I may give that a try.
Mostly I was trying to figure out why my node didn't play a default node ID and instead was playing someone elses node ID instead, since I never did load a 'custom' node ID when I first got the node.
Anyways, if I have to I know I can generate files and upload them but was wondering if there was a simple 'switch' that would just use the computer generated 'default' voice ID's.
Doug

n7bfs

The interesting part Larry, is that I didn't buy the node from someone, it was a new node I built from scratch, so not sure why the IRLP rsync server would have someone else's node files unless the node number I was reassigned a node number that had been taken out of service and the wav file archive still had their recording in it.

Anyway, not sure but I guess I'll have to record a couple files and upload them or run the script Dave suggested...

Doug

David McAnally

Unused node numbers have been reassigned after a period of inactivity. Run the script. I think it will resolve the issue for your node.

David M.
WD5M

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 10:12 PM n7bfs <doug.n7bfs@...> wrote:
The interesting part Larry, is that I didn't buy the node from someone, it was a new node I built from scratch, so not sure why the IRLP rsync server would have someone else's node files unless the node number I was reassigned a node number that had been taken out of service and the wav file archive still had their recording in it.

Anyway, not sure but I guess I'll have to record a couple files and upload them or run the script Dave suggested...

Doug

larry_n7fm

Hi Doug,

Sounds like you have described just what has occurred.

If you run the recommended script it will replace those recorded file with what appears as the default connect/disconnect files.

I had to do that same thing when I sold one of my IRLP Nodes. Was playing when I first got my node and didn't realize that I wouldn't be able to delete the uploaded file.

Since you can't delete what is there the only alternative is to replace it. The script from Dave's post will overcome your problem and it will sound like it never happened.

Larry - N7FM

On 8/29/20 8:11 PM, n7bfs wrote:
The interesting part Larry, is that I didn't buy the node from someone, it was a new node I built from scratch, so not sure why the IRLP rsync server would have someone else's node files unless the node number I was reassigned a node number that had been taken out of service and the wav file archive still had their recording in it.
Anyway, not sure but I guess I'll have to record a couple files and upload them or run the script Dave suggested...
Doug

n7bfs

Thanks Nick, your post was the winner of the chicken dinner, the script Dave M suggested threw a pile of sox errors too deep for my patience today.
So I created the files using your suggestion and it worked great.

Thanks again :^)

Doug
N7BFS