Topics

Connect / Disconnect Wave Files

Ed Yoho <edyoho@...>

Most likely a dumb question:

What advantage is there to having the connect / disconnect wave files for
all nodes distributed to all the nodes versus just having your own wave
files locally?

It would seem to me, by distributing the complete file set to all nodes, it
raises the storage requirements on the individual nodes and also adds
additional burdens on Dave to keep them current. By not needing to
distribute the files, all nodes would always be current.

Also, by not having the wave files distributed, when my node connects to a
remote node, I would get a short but accurate view of the current VoIP
connection quality. This would also let me know how much of the observed
distortions are being caused by the remote node's interfaced equipment
(link radio(s), repeater, mobile user).

Ed Yoho
WA6RQD
Oceanside, CA
node 315

Fred <fred@...>

what if the link is so bad you can't tell who connected, how are you going
to let them know they have a problem, or how will you know who they are.
The storage requiremnt are minimum... FWIW.. Fred

[...]

T. Glen Haggard <glen@...>

This was discussed awhile back and I believe Dave was thinking of just
setting up the nodes to play their own message when connected to. I believe
the issue was having to upload all these files each time the update due to
all the new nodes. The more nodes that come on line the large that file
becomes and the more uploading Dave has to do. I believe that in the future
we will see a different system.

Glen

[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Michael P. Illingby Esq <michaeli@...>

Acctually, you probably won't see it that way, due to the fact that it was
that way before. The prob was simple, when both stations connected together,
they would jitter, and lag as thier ID's were transfered over the internet.
Now, it simply triggers the other end to play the appropriate file.

ps, I hope that made sense, I woke up only 14 seconds ago. If it doesn't,
let me know...

--
Michael P. Illingby Esq. Silver Star Computers Networking
Consultant

My Pgp Key - http://www.irlp.net/linus/pgp.txt
Vernon Balloon eXperiments - http://www.junction.net/norac/vbx
Internet Radio Linking Project - http://www.irlp.net

`Microsoft Windows'. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell
to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally
coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit
company that can't stand one bit of competition. -The Jargon File

"Michael P. Illingby Esq" wrote:

Acctually, you probably won't see it that way, due to the fact that it was
that way before. The prob was simple, when both stations connected together,
they would jitter, and lag as thier ID's were transfered over the internet.
Now, it simply triggers the other end to play the appropriate file.

ps, I hope that made sense, I woke up only 14 seconds ago. If it doesn't,
let me know...

Michael,

I can understand your description ok, but don't understand the cause. Why
would it be any more difficult for a node to send their ID versus sending
'normal' audio traffic?

If it is due to both nodes sending concurrently versus the normal half
duplex operation, raising the packet buffer depth during this or any other
duplex effort should stop the problem (or at least make it invisible to the
node users). It also would seem to me less of a problem on high speed
connections versus dialup/GSM nodes.

Another solution would be for the originating node to send their ID and at
its completion, the node being connected to would begin IDing.

Ed Yoho
WA6RQD

Tony Langdon <tlangdon@...>

This was discussed awhile back and I believe Dave was thinking of just
setting up the nodes to play their own message when connected
to. I believe
the issue was having to upload all these files each time the
update due to
all the new nodes. The more nodes that come on line the large
that file
becomes and the more uploading Dave has to do. I believe that
in the future
we will see a different system.
Unfortunately, the WAV files are one of the features the authorities here
love about the system, as they identify the remote system in use. It would
be a pity to lost that facility. Is there any system that can put them
together using synthesized voice perhaps. You will lose a bit of that
"personal touch", but keep the functionality.

Alternate strategies incluse using compression on the WAV files - ADPCM,
GSM, perhaps even MP3, to keep their size down. Also, perhaps have an
automated synchronisation process so that once a node is registered, it
participates in a lot of audio file swapping, keeping its own audio files up
to date with the master server, or even on a peer-peer basis.

pete@...

--- In irlp@y..., Tony Langdon <tlangdon@a...> wrote:
This was discussed awhile back and I believe Dave was thinking of
just
setting up the nodes to play their own message when connected
to. I believe
the issue was having to upload all these files each time the
update due to
all the new nodes. The more nodes that come on line the large
that file
becomes and the more uploading Dave has to do. I believe that
in the future
we will see a different system.

Dave was discussing the idea of converting the wavs to a different
format. The issue is not a big one. The IRLP installation kit has a
snapshot of the latest wav file directory. Version 2.0.9 of the IRLP
cd can be downloaded on line and has the latest snapshot.

I did an install last night and they tgz was 7mb....

Also, if the load gets too great on IRLP.net, Dave has access to
reflector 5 to load all of teh IRLP installation software onto it for
download...its then simply a change to the IRLP install script...

Pete..vk2yx