Topics

Custom Decode Not Working

I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete reinstall of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly with readinput.

Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a repeater controller here is what I get.

Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I don't know where to look or what it should be.

My next move would be to write a complete NEW custom_decode and put something simple in it to test.

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

On Sunday, December 22, 2019, 4:04:42 PM EST, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete reinstall of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly with readinput.

Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a repeater controller here is what I get.

Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I don't know where to look or what it should be.

John

Be more specific Mick..
WHICH custom decode won't work?
Can you run it from the console - what errors are produced?

John @ 6163

On 23/12/2019 7:04:23 AM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) (tarra@...) wrote:
I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete reinstall
of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly with readinput.
Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a repeater controller here is what I get.
Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I don't know where to look or what it should be.
Untitled Document

David Cameron - IRLP

Does nothing work on the node, or just one code? Sending the custom_decode script would tell a lot.

That sync_rc210 script will need to be rewritten to support aoss or use aplay. It looks like it is trying to write direct to /dev/dsp.

David Cameron

On 2019-12-22 1:04 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:

I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete reinstall of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly with readinput.

Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a repeater controller here is what I get.

Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I don't know where to look or what it should be.

Untitled Document

I haven't found anything that works.

Not sure how much needs to be changed to use aoss or aplay. Does it matter which one of the two?

The updating of the node has broken enough things that I may just go back to the old computer and software that worked.

> Does nothing work on the node, or just one code? Sending the
> custom_decode script would tell a lot.
>
> That sync_rc210 script will need to be rewritten to support aoss or use
> aplay. It looks like it is trying to write direct to /dev/dsp.
>
> David Cameron
>

> On 2019-12-22 1:04 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete
> > reinstall of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the
> > previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the
> > DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly with
> > readinput.
> >
> > Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a
> > repeater controller here is what I get.
> >
> > Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I
> > don't know where to look or what it should be.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
> >
> > --
> > Untitled Document

Well you have not explained what the script exactly does besides syncing the time on the controller. Does it do it via serial port or using DTMF audio somehow?

Using aoss is not too hard - you just prefix any command that throws an error about /dev/dsp with aoss. If you attach the script, that is a start.

You mention an issue with custom_decode, but you didn't answer the questions I was asking. If you enter a code like 9990, what happens? What is not working with DTMF?

Dave Cameron

On 2019-12-22 1:04 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
(TARRA) wrote:

I still can't get custom decode to work. I even did a complete
reinstall of Debian 10 and all the same problems came up as the
previous time. And still the custom decode doesn't work. All of the
DTMF LEDs light accordingly and also everything show up correctly
with
readinput.

Probably related, if I run ./sync_rc210 to sync the time for a
repeater controller here is what I get.

Looks like a permission issue, and probably is for both things, but I
don't know where to look or what it should be.

Untitled Document

--
Untitled Document

The sync program does it by sending DTMF tones.

I can connect to the test reflectors and other nodes. I don't consider those as "custom". The commands that I do have in my custom_decode aren't working. For example, sending a set of DTMF tones to cause the time to be set, no DTMF tones are sent but there is a couple of PTT at the end of the script.

> Well you have not explained what the script exactly does besides syncing
> the time on the controller. Does it do it via serial port or using DTMF
> audio somehow?
>
> Using aoss is not too hard - you just prefix any command that throws an
> error about /dev/dsp with aoss. If you attach the script, that is a start.
>
> You mention an issue with custom_decode, but you didn't answer the
> questions I was asking. If you enter a code like 9990, what happens?
> What is not working with DTMF?
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2019-12-22 2:13 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> > I haven't found anything that works.
> >
> > Not sure how much needs to be changed to use aoss or aplay. Does it
> > matter which one of the two?
> >
> > The updating of the node has broken enough things that I may just go
> > back to the old computer and software that worked.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

The reason i ask is that ALL dtmf codes are processed through custom_decode. So if nothing works, then there is something causing errors in the custom_decode script.

You are going to have to post this sync_rc210 script and we can help you find where you need to modify it to work on the newer systems.

From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" <tarra@...>
Date: 12/22/19 2:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

--

Didn't I say this a couple of hours ago? :)

WB8ODF@...
http://wb8odf.com

From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" <tarra@...>
Date: 12/22/19 2:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

The sync program does it by sending DTMF tones.

I can connect to the test reflectors and other nodes. I don't consider those as "custom". The commands that I do have in my custom_decode aren't working. For example, sending a set of DTMF tones to cause the time to be set, no DTMF tones are sent but there is a couple of PTT at the end of the script.

> Well you have not explained what the script exactly does besides syncing
> the time on the controller. Does it do it via serial port or using DTMF
> audio somehow?
>
> Using aoss is not too hard - you just prefix any command that throws an
> error about /dev/dsp with aoss. If you attach the script, that is a start.
>
> You mention an issue with custom_decode, but you didn't answer the
> questions I was asking. If you enter a code like 9990, what happens?
> What is not working with DTMF?
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2019-12-22 2:13 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> > I haven't found anything that works.
> >
> > Not sure how much needs to be changed to use aoss or aplay. Does it
> > matter which one of the two?
> >
> > The updating of the node has broken enough things that I may just go
> > back to the old computer and software that worked.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

Okay, hopefully these attachments work. It isn't working to receive or send DTMF commands or tones.

> The reason i ask is that ALL dtmf codes are processed through custom_decode. So if nothing works, then there is something causing errors in the custom_decode script. You are going to have to post this sync_rc210 script and we can help you find where you need to modify it to work on the newer systems. Dave Cameron
>

> -------- Original message --------From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" Date: 12/22/19 2:29 PM (GMT-08:00) To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io Subject: Re: [IRLP] Custom Decode Not Working
> The sync program does it by sending DTMF tones.
>
> I can connect to the test reflectors and other nodes. I don't
> consider those as "custom". The commands that I do have in my
> custom_decode aren't working. For example, sending a set of DTMF
> tones to cause the time to be set, no DTMF tones are sent but
> there is a couple of PTT at the end of the script.
>
> Mick - W7CAT
> Node 3464

Easy:

in dtmffastdial, change

/home/irlp/bin/dial --tone-time 105 --volume 30 --silent-time 105 "$1"

aoss /home/irlp/bin/dial --tone-time 105 --volume 30 --silent-time 105 "$1"

On 2019-12-22 1:04 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio
Repeater Association

(TARRA) wrote:
[...]

Yes, certainly easy when you know what to do. That took care of that and it is working now.

As for the other, for example, if I send *ABC, nothing happens. It isn't acting on the DTMF command. The other commands don't respond.

> /home/irlp/bin/dial --tone-time 105 --volume 30 --silent-time 105 "$1"

> aoss /home/irlp/bin/dial --tone-time 105 --volume 30 --silent-time 105 "$1"
>
> On 2019-12-22 3:24 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > Okay, hopefully these attachments work. It isn't working to receive or
> > send DTMF commands or tones.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

if [ "$1" = "SABC" ] ; then (/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now) ; exit 1 ; fi

Well that command would require that the repater user be added to the /etc/sudoers file to have root permissions. This is dangerous though, and not really recommended. But for individual programs it is not a big deal:

In the file /etc/sudoers, add

repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown

Then the command

sudo /sbin/shutdown

can be run with root permissions from the repeater user.

Dave Cameron

On 2019-12-22 3:24 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association

On 2019-12-22 1:04 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio
Repeater Association

(TARRA) wrote:
[...]

Here is what I must have done wrong:

#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead of
# directly modifying this file.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
Defaults    env_reset
Defaults    mail_badpass
Defaults    secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
sudo /sbin/shutdown

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:

#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

> if [ "$1" = "SABC" ] ; then (/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now) ; exit
> 1 ; fi
>
> Well that command would require that the repater user be added to the
> /etc/sudoers file to have root permissions. This is dangerous though,
> and not really recommended. But for individual programs it is not a big
> deal:
>
> In the file /etc/sudoers, add
>
> repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown
>
> Then the command
>
> sudo /sbin/shutdown
>
> can be run with root permissions from the repeater user.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2019-12-22 3:33 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > Yes, certainly easy when you know what to do. That took care of that
> > and it is working now.
> >
> > As for the other, for example, if I send *ABC, nothing happens. It
> > isn't acting on the DTMF command. The other commands don't respond.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

This is a better look at it:

#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead of
# directly modifying this file.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
Defaults        env_reset
Defaults        mail_badpass
Defaults        secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
sudo /sbin/shutdown

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:

#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

> if [ "$1" = "SABC" ] ; then (/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now) ; exit
> 1 ; fi
>
> Well that command would require that the repater user be added to the
> /etc/sudoers file to have root permissions. This is dangerous though,
> and not really recommended. But for individual programs it is not a big
> deal:
>
> In the file /etc/sudoers, add
>
> repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown
>
> Then the command
>
> sudo /sbin/shutdown
>
> can be run with root permissions from the repeater user.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2019-12-22 3:33 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > Yes, certainly easy when you know what to do. That took care of that
> > and it is working now.
> >
> > As for the other, for example, if I send *ABC, nothing happens. It
> > isn't acting on the DTMF command. The other commands don't respond.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

You need to remove the sudo /sbin/shutdown from /etc/sudoers. You misread the directions. The lube with repeater looks fine, but i saw there were extra characters in the first time you posted it.

How are you editing the file?

When logged in as repeater, what do you see when you run

sudo  /sbin/shutdown

From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" <tarra@...>
Date: 12/22/19 5:28 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

This is a better look at it:

#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead of
# directly modifying this file.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#
Defaults        env_reset
Defaults        mail_badpass
Defaults        secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
sudo /sbin/shutdown

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:

#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

> if [ "$1" = "SABC" ] ; then (/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now) ; exit
> 1 ; fi
>
> Well that command would require that the repater user be added to the
> /etc/sudoers file to have root permissions. This is dangerous though,
> and not really recommended. But for individual programs it is not a big
> deal:
>
> In the file /etc/sudoers, add
>
> repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown
>
> Then the command
>
> sudo /sbin/shutdown
>
> can be run with root permissions from the repeater user.
>
> Dave Cameron
>
> On 2019-12-22 3:33 p.m., Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association
> (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > Yes, certainly easy when you know what to do. That took care of that
> > and it is working now.
> >
> > As for the other, for example, if I send *ABC, nothing happens. It
> > isn't acting on the DTMF command. The other commands don't respond.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464

The first time was looking at it with WinSCP. For some reason when it show it it puts those extra characters in there. When I opened it in Putty with nano, those characters aren't there. I do all of my editing with nano.

[...]

Here is what I get:

repeater@stn3464:~/$ sudo /sbin/shutdown
[sudo] password for repeater:
repeater is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
repeater@stn3464:~/$

> You need to remove the sudo /sbin/shutdown from /etc/sudoers. You misread the directions. The lube with repeater looks fine, but i saw there were extra characters in the first time you posted it. How are you editing the file?When logged in as repeater, what do you see when you runsudo  /sbin/shutdownDave Cameron
>

> -------- Original message --------From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" Date: 12/22/19 5:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io Subject: Re: [IRLP] Custom Decode Not Working
> This is a better look at it:
>
> #
> # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
> #
> # Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead
> of
> # directly modifying this file.
> #
> # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
> #
> Defaults        env_reset
> Defaults        mail_badpass
> Defaults
> secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
>
> # Host alias specification
>
> # User alias specification
>
> # Cmnd alias specification
>
> # User privilege specification
> root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown
>
> # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
> %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> sudo /sbin/shutdown
>
> # See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:
>
> #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
>

> Mick - W7CAT
> Node 3464

Try putting the repeater line at the end of the file.

And change it to:
repeater ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Dave

> You need to remove the sudo /sbin/shutdown from /etc/sudoers. You misread the directions. The lube with repeater looks fine, but i saw there were extra characters in the first time you posted it. How are you editing the file?When logged in as repeater, what do you see when you runsudo  /sbin/shutdownDave Cameron
>

> -------- Original message --------From: "Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)" Date: 12/22/19 5:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io Subject: Re: [IRLP] Custom Decode Not Working
> This is a better look at it:
>
> #
> # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
> #
> # Please consider adding local content in /etc/sudoers.d/ instead
> of
> # directly modifying this file.
> #
> # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
> #
> Defaults        env_reset
> Defaults        mail_badpass
> Defaults
> secure_path="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
>
> # Host alias specification
>
> # User alias specification
>
> # Cmnd alias specification
>
> # User privilege specification
> root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> repeater  ALL=NOPASSWD:  /sbin/shutdown
>
> # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
> %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> sudo /sbin/shutdown
>
> # See sudoers(5) for more information on "#include" directives:
>
> #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
>

> Mick - W7CAT
> Node 3464

It looks like that did it:

repeater@stn3464:~/$ sudo /sbin/shutdown
Shutdown scheduled for Sun 2019-12-22 20:21:06 MST, use 'shutdown -c' to cancel.
repeater@stn3464:~/$ shutdown -c
Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
repeater@stn3464:~/$

The reboot and shutdown commands are working. Some of the other aren't. Such as this one:

# Added by Mick on 12-26-15
if [ "$1" = "*2100" ] ; then "$BIN"/aux2on ; exit 1 ; fi
if [ "$1" = "*2101" ] ; then "$BIN"/aux2off ; exit 1 ; fi

I don't have any idea of what I need to do to change the rest and how to add anything in the future that is going to work.

--

Steve Jones

Mick

   Change the lines to

# Added by Mick on 12-26-15
if [ "$1" = "S2100" ] ; then "$BIN"/aux2on ; exit 1 ; fi
if [ "$1" = "S2101" ] ; then "$BIN"/aux2off ; exit 1 ; fi

Star is entered as 'S' and # is 'P' (pound)

Steve 6732