Topics

Deb 13.03

Klaus Rung

I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?

Klaus
ve3kr

On Jun 12, 2020, at 12:17, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?

Klaus
ve3kr
249
You have to set the environment variable
export USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS=YES

Then configure two files custom/mute_on and custom/mute_off to mute your sound card.

Here are the files I use with my DN2800MT motherboard. You have to figure out the amixer commands that work with your motherboard. My files below also mute audio across the repeater controller script, which you may not be using.

If your sound card has a CD input, that should still work. But most embedded chipsets do not have a CD input, thus requiring the mute scripts.

mute_on

#!/bin/bash
# This script is run by the dtmf program when dtmf is detected and the
# USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS environment variable is set to YES. It works in
# conjuction with the mute_off script. Both must be present.

# Place the command from aumix (OSS) or amixer (ALSA) that mutes
# the input during DTMF detection.
# DTMF Mute commands
# Audio toward the network
amixer -c 0 set "Capture" nocap mute >/dev/null 2>&1
# Local repeater controller audio
amixer -c 0 set "Rear Mic" nocap mute >/dev/null 2>&1

mute_off

#!/bin/bash
# This script is run by the dtmf program when dtmf is no longer detected
# and the USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS environment variable is set to YES. It works
# in conjuction with the mute_on script. Both must be present.

# Place the command from aumix (OSS) or amixer (ALSA) that unmutes
# the input following a mute from DTMF detection.
# Audio toward the network
amixer -c 0 set "Capture" cap unmute >/dev/null 2>&1
# Local repeater controller audio
amixer -c 0 set "Rear Mic" cap unmute >/dev/null 2>&1

-k9dc

Klaus Rung

Ok thanks Dave, guess it has changed from being default of mute on as standard.

Klaus
ve3kr

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 12:32:58 p.m. EDT, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2020, at 12:17, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?
>
> Klaus
> ve3kr
> 249

You have to set the environment variable
export USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS=YES

Then configure two files custom/mute_on and custom/mute_off to mute your sound card.

Here are the files I use with my DN2800MT motherboard.  You have to figure out the amixer commands that work with your motherboard.  My files below also mute audio across the repeater controller script, which you may not be using.

If your sound card has a CD input, that should still work. But most embedded chipsets do not have a CD input, thus requiring the mute scripts.

mute_on

#!/bin/bash
# This script is run by the dtmf program when dtmf is detected and the
# USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS environment variable is set to YES. It works in
# conjuction with the mute_off script. Both must be present.

# Place the command from aumix (OSS) or amixer (ALSA) that mutes
# the input during DTMF detection.
# DTMF Mute commands
# Audio toward the network
amixer -c 0 set "Capture" nocap mute  >/dev/null 2>&1
# Local repeater controller audio
amixer -c 0 set "Rear Mic" nocap mute  >/dev/null 2>&1

mute_off

#!/bin/bash
# This script is run by the dtmf program when dtmf is no longer detected
# and the USE_MUTE_SCRIPTS environment variable is set to YES. It works
# in conjuction with the mute_on script. Both must be present.

# Place the command from aumix (OSS) or amixer (ALSA) that unmutes
# the input following a mute from DTMF detection.
# Audio toward the network
amixer -c 0 set "Capture" cap unmute  >/dev/null 2>&1
# Local repeater controller audio
amixer -c 0 set "Rear Mic" cap unmute  >/dev/null 2>&1

Actually the default method works just like before (switching from LINE to CD). The problem is, modern sound cards no longer support a CD input. Thus a script with amixer commands is required to perform the muting. Every sound chip is different requiring different commands be used. This has to be figured out using the labels inside alsamixer and is site specific.

-k9dc

On Jun 12, 2020, at 13:06, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ok thanks Dave, guess it has changed from being default of mute on as standard.

Klaus
ve3kr

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 12:32:58 p.m. EDT, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:

On Jun 12, 2020, at 12:17, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?

Klaus
ve3kr
249

Klaus Rung

I am using the same pc and sound card as I used with the deb 7 that worked fine and muted the audio. The only change is the updated operating system.

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 1:18:01 p.m. EDT, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:

Actually the default method works just like before (switching from LINE to CD).  The problem is, modern sound cards no longer support a CD input. Thus a script with amixer commands is required to perform the muting. Every sound chip is different requiring different commands be used.  This has to be figured out using the labels inside alsamixer and is site specific.

-k9dc

> On Jun 12, 2020, at 13:06, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Ok thanks Dave, guess it has changed from being default of mute on as standard.
>
> Klaus
> ve3kr
>
> On Friday, June 12, 2020, 12:32:58 p.m. EDT, k9dc <dave@...> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 12, 2020, at 12:17, Klaus Rung via groups.io <k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> >
> > I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?
> >
> > Klaus
> > ve3kr
> > 249

David Cameron - IRLP

There is something weird in the newer kernels that seems to be playing havoc with older sound cards. It also could likely be the same "aoss" issues that we are seeing with other programs.

I rarely use the built in muting for anything any more.

<mailto:dave@...>> wrote:

On Jun 12, 2020, at 12:17, Klaus Rung via groups.io
<k_rung=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

I recently installed the latest 13.03 debian, added EchoIRLP using
the new updated Echolink audio fixes and all works fine now except the dtmf is not muting during any dialing sequence or 73. Is this a problem generally or is it just in my node and if it is a general problem with all the new installs is there a fix for this to bring back muting of the dtmf so it does not get to the other end of the link?

Klaus
ve3kr

Funny enough, in describing the problem in my reply, I found the reason. The DTMF binary uses the "OSS Method" to mute the sound input, therefore it will not work without being called inside the aoss wrapper. This is going to require a re-write of a number of scripts, which I will work on in the coming days.

Dave Cameron