Decoding 73

Brian Alexander

I have an IRLP node that properly connects to other IRLP nodes via RF DTMF but does not respond to 73. I can see in log/messages that 73 is actually heard and decoded, but disconnection does not occur.

Can anyone suggest a fix or troublingshooting?

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

Rick Szajkowski

Is this your node or some one else’s ??

From what your saying I would say some one changed the decode 73 to something else , why don’t know

Can’t remember off the top of my head where the decode file is located

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:01 PM, Brian Alexander via groups.io <va3aza=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have an IRLP node that properly connects to other IRLP nodes via RF DTMF but does not respond to 73. I can see in log/messages that 73 is actually heard and decoded, but disconnection does not occur.

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

Brian Alexander

Rick;

It’s a club node that was rebuilt on a new machine. Reinstall script was used, so I would guess the important stuff came over.

Brian VA3AZA

On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Rick Szajkowski <va3rzs2@gmail.com> wrote:

From what your saying I would say some one changed the decode 73 to something else , why don’t know

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:01 PM, Brian Alexander via groups.io <va3aza=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

David Cameron - IRLP

Someone likely changed the default code, and you'll find it in the

/home/irlp/custom/custom_decode

file.

Dave Cameron 

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2020-12-03 5:12 p.m. (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Decoding 73

Rick;

It’s a club node that was rebuilt on a new machine. Reinstall script was used, so I would guess the important stuff came over.

Brian VA3AZA
> On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:10 PM, Rick Szajkowski <va3rzs2@...> wrote:
>
> Is this your node or some one else’s ??
>
> From what your saying I would say some one changed the decode 73  to something else , why don’t know
>
> Can’t remember off the top of my head where the decode file is located
>
> Richard Szajkowski
> VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE
>
>> On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:01 PM, Brian Alexander via groups.io <va3aza@...> wrote:
>>
>> I have an IRLP node that properly connects to other IRLP nodes via RF DTMF but does not respond to 73. I can see in log/messages that 73 is actually heard and decoded, but disconnection does not occur.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a fix or troublingshooting?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> VA3AZA
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Rick Szajkowski

Thanks Dave , had a brain fart to where it was 

Richard Szajkowski 
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:17 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

file.

Dave Cameron 

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA
>
>
> From what your saying I would say some one changed the decode 73  to something else , why don’t know
>
>
> Richard Szajkowski
> VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE
>
>> On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:01 PM, Brian Alexander via groups.io <va3aza@...> wrote:
>>
>> I have an IRLP node that properly connects to other IRLP nodes via RF DTMF but does not respond to 73. I can see in log/messages that 73 is actually heard and decoded, but disconnection does not occur.
>>
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> VA3AZA
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Brian Alexander

Well, I’ve chased the $1 argument from decode to custom_decode along the path a 73 is supposed to go. I can see the if tests in both scripts and have echo printed around them to verify that execution is proceeding as it seems to be intended. The custom_decode dispatches 73 to echo_end, where it seems to disappear. An if test in echo_end is supposed to trap an IRLP disconnection request by testing for a certain file’s existence in $LOCAL and then call end. This does not seem to happen correctly.

Brian VA3AZA

On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:17 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@...> wrote:

file.

Dave Cameron 

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA
>
>
>
>
> Richard Szajkowski
> VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE
>
>>
>>
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> VA3AZA
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

David Cameron - IRLP

Do you see any errors, when as user repeater you type the command:

decode 73

This is the same as decoding the 73 command on the air. It should lead you to the issue.

Dave Cameron

On 03/12/2020 7:33 p.m., Brian Alexander via groups.io wrote:
Well, I’ve chased the $1 argument from decode to custom_decode along the path a 73 is supposed to go. I can see the if tests in both scripts and have echo printed around them to verify that execution is proceeding as it seems to be intended. The custom_decode dispatches 73 to echo_end, where it seems to disappear. An if test in echo_end is supposed to trap an IRLP disconnection request by testing for a certain file’s existence in $LOCAL and then call end. This does not seem to happen correctly.

Brian VA3AZA
On Dec 3, 2020, at 8:17 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@irlp.net> wrote:

file.

Dave Cameron

From: "Brian Alexander via groups.io" <va3aza=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

Brian Alexander

Indeed, I do:

... /echo_end: No such file or directory

In custom_decode, this is line 70, which contains a variable, “$ECHO_SCRIPT”, prefixed to “/echo_end” (without the quotes).

It would seem that $ECHO_SCRIPT is not defined. Is this right?

Brian VA3AZA

On Dec 3, 2020, at 10:35 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@irlp.net> wrote:

decode 73

This is the same as decoding the 73 command on the air. It should lead you to the issue.

Dave Cameron

Brian VA3AZA

file.

Dave Cameron

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

David Cameron - IRLP

That is right - you have taken scripts from an old node (that had EchoIRLP installed) and put them on one that does not.

This is one reason why I always suggest a "clean re-install" when using a backup script.

You need to remove the lines for EchoIRLP from the custom_decode file at a minimum - there are likely many things that need to be tweaked.

Dave Cameron

On 03/12/2020 8:07 p.m., Brian Alexander via groups.io wrote:
Indeed, I do:

In custom_decode, this is line 70, which contains a variable, “$ECHO_SCRIPT”, prefixed to “/echo_end” (without the quotes).

Brian VA3AZA

decode 73

Dave Cameron

Brian VA3AZA

file.

Dave Cameron

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

Brian Alexander

Is it better to go back and do a clean reinstall over the existing install rather than trying to tweak everything?

Brian VA3AZA

On Dec 3, 2020, at 11:10 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@irlp.net> wrote:

That is right - you have taken scripts from an old node (that had EchoIRLP installed) and put them on one that does not.

This is one reason why I always suggest a "clean re-install" when using a backup script.

You need to remove the lines for EchoIRLP from the custom_decode file at a minimum - there are likely many things that need to be tweaked.

Dave Cameron

Indeed, I do:

Brian VA3AZA

decode 73

Dave Cameron

Brian VA3AZA

file.

Dave Cameron

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

David Cameron - IRLP

Its up to you - I would. But there are not a lot of plugs into EchoIRLP, so you should be able to find them all in the custom directory:

custom_decode
custom_on
custom_off

You also should look out for IRLPvCON scripts as well.

You should be fine just commenting out all the EchoIRLP related pieces in the three files above.

Dave

On 03/12/2020 8:23 p.m., Brian Alexander via groups.io wrote:
Is it better to go back and do a clean reinstall over the existing install rather than trying to tweak everything?

Brian VA3AZA

Dave Cameron

Indeed, I do:

Brian VA3AZA

decode 73

Dave Cameron

Brian VA3AZA

file.

Dave Cameron

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA

Brian Alexander

I have to get both services running, so I’ll probably reinstall. At least then I will know they are installed reliably if I have other problems later.

Brian

On Dec 3, 2020, at 11:38 PM, David Cameron - IRLP <dcameron@irlp.net> wrote:

Its up to you - I would. But there are not a lot of plugs into EchoIRLP, so you should be able to find them all in the custom directory:

custom_decode
custom_on
custom_off

You also should look out for IRLPvCON scripts as well.

You should be fine just commenting out all the EchoIRLP related pieces in the three files above.

Dave

On 03/12/2020 8:23 p.m., Brian Alexander via groups.io wrote:

Brian VA3AZA

Dave Cameron

Indeed, I do:

Brian VA3AZA

decode 73

Dave Cameron

Brian VA3AZA

file.

Dave Cameron

Rick;

Brian VA3AZA

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

Many thanks,
VA3AZA