Topics

ECHOIRLP assistance

Chris Pitre

is there anyone that can assist with an ECHOIRLP installation for Debian 10 off list.

I don't think the group supports that software being installed on IRLP computers.

IF it will not work with Debian, perhaps I can get assistance installing CentOS, there is a message during the install process that it will not get past.

PCI 0  message.

Craig - K1BDX - Node 8724

Hi Chris.

I'm pretty sure that Dave Cameron's embedded pi node comes with
Echolink fully loaded and ready to go using Debian 10 on a raspberry
pi 4 computer. My understanding is that if you give him your echolink
info when you order it then he will set it up for you.

If I got any of this wrong, someone please jump in a correct me.

http://irlp.net/pi/

On 6/5/20, Chris Pitre <ve3ctp@...> wrote:
is there anyone that can assist with an ECHOIRLP installation for Debian 10
off list.

I don't think the group supports that software being installed on IRLP
computers.

IF it will not work with Debian, perhaps I can get assistance installing
CentOS, there is a message during the install process that it will not get
past.

PCI 0 message.

Chris Pitre

To be honest..I'm having difficulty installing anything on this..the aprs script will not work and I have no return audio from the test server.

I'm not well versed in Linux, however I recall setting up a CentOS IRLP system with aprs and Echoirlp many years ago and it seemed to go quite smoothly.

the trouble shoot script shows port 2093 still not open, however my router shows it is.

Craig - K1BDX - Node 8724

Here is another link for the embedded pi IRLP node

http://www.irlp.net/PiRLP4.html

On 6/5/20, Craig - K1BDX wrote:
[...]

I appreciate the info, I 'm trying to do the install on a PC based node.

The Echolink node is not showing up the echolink user page ..nor does it let me connect to anything..says the node you are calling does not exist.

I have opened ports 5198 and 5199 on my router...I think.

This may be an easy process and perhaps im just overlooking the finest detail.

Rick NK7I

Chris,

"PC based node"?  The software being discussed in this group runs under a carefully limited operating system of linux, not Windows (just to be clear).

Not being logged into the echolink network is often the incorrect user and password OR not being registered within the network; check your config file(s) carefully, each must be EXACT.

Node not exists is a symptom of not being logged into the network OR it may be an incorrect command; does the command use a 'prefix', commonly an * (star)?

The (lack of) port opening (routing) may be another issue, but for the moment assume that they're open until the above is completed.

EchoIRLP works well, but to stop the constant random connects, no users speaking, I've limited my node to accepting only a few nodes from the echolink network.

[In the future, please add your call and node number to your signature when writing this group, so local specific help can be offered.  It's 'netiquette'.]

73,
Rick NK7I
7962
N ID

On 6/5/2020 9:38 AM, Chris Pitre wrote:
I appreciate the info, I 'm trying to do the install on a PC based node.

The Echolink node is not showing up the echolink user page ..nor does it let me connect to anything..says the node you are calling does not exist.

I have opened ports 5198 and 5199 on my router...I think.

This may be an easy process and perhaps im just overlooking the finest detail.

Chris Pitre

When I say PC based I mean that I am using a computer with an HDD not a raspPI.  I have Debian 10 installed on the HDD.

The prefix for ECHO IRLP is *

I installed ECHOLink on the VE3III 2202 Node in Windsor many years ago on a computer based node using CentOS.

I never upgraded that to Debian and it works flawlessly.  The only reason for the upgrade on his node 2803 is purely due to the size of the old computer as compared to the new one.  The old one is a massive boatanchor.
The HDDS cannot be changed out due to the style of the connectors.

Chris
VE3ZO

IRLP 2803 VE3TOM repeater
Leamington.ON

Allan Dunn, K1UCY

If your Internet is on Comcast, be aware they are implementing Advanced Security in some locations (like mine). If the Advanced Security under xFi is active, it has shut off your port forwarding. If you turn off Advanced Security by logging into your account and selecting xFi, there is an option to open port forwarding , but last time I tried it for my account, that feature did not work. The only option was to turn on DMZ on my router.  If you can still turn on port forwarding on your Comcast router, what I am writing does not (yet) apply to you.

On Jun 5, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Chris Pitre <ve3ctp@...> wrote:

When I say PC based I mean that I am using a computer with an HDD not a raspPI.  I have Debian 10 installed on the HDD.

The prefix for ECHO IRLP is *

I installed ECHOLink on the VE3III 2202 Node in Windsor many years ago on a computer based node using CentOS.

I never upgraded that to Debian and it works flawlessly.  The only reason for the upgrade on his node 2803 is purely due to the size of the old computer as compared to the new one.  The old one is a massive boatanchor.
The HDDS cannot be changed out due to the style of the connectors.

Chris
VE3ZO

IRLP 2803 VE3TOM repeater
Leamington.ON

Chris Pitre

I live in Canada...my Inet provider is Cogeco, using an ARRIS router from them

Rick Szajkowski

Did it ever work ??

I would check with your ISP to see if anything changed ,

Good luck

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On Jun 5, 2020, at 4:01 PM, Chris Pitre <ve3ctp@...> wrote:

I live in Canada...my Inet provider is Cogeco, using an ARRIS router from them

Chris Pitre

Since I have the old computer still available I can plug it in and check to see if it works here, when the old computer was at the location it did in fact work.

IRLP
APRS Script
and ECHOIRLP were fully functional

Rick Szajkowski

That would narrow things down for sure , just make sure the ports are forwarded to the correct IP address on your lan , if both system have the same IP make sure that both are not on at the same time , would be better if the new one was not the same IP for testing ( or the old one )

I had a problem with Cogeco before I am now with eastlink with out problems

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE

On Jun 5, 2020, at 4:31 PM, Chris Pitre <ve3ctp@...> wrote:

Since I have the old computer still available I can plug it in and check to see if it works here, when the old computer was at the location it did in fact work.

IRLP
APRS Script
and ECHOIRLP were fully functional

Chris Pitre

Something is different between the new and the old box.

on the old box VE3TOM is on the echolink repeater list, on the new box it is not

The APRS script works

and the IRLP works.

and I hear audio

so that tells me that  something in the setup of the new box is not good.

The same ver 3 board is being used just moved from box to box.

Chris
VE3ZO

NODE 2803

David Cameron - IRLP

Couple of things about EchoIRLP
1) The password needs to be uppercase IN ALL CAPS in the tbd.conf file
2) Sometimes you need to wait a few minutes after its connected and installed before it starts to work.

You will get a lot of info by typing:

killall tbd

then:

tbd -ddd

The problem is EchoIRLP is no longer maintained. It was not written by IRLP, but we do what we can to help you get it running. As Debian moves forward, some scripts need changes in order to work. Those will need to be copied and supported by others and involve the use of SOX with deprecated arguments. This was discussed a few months ago.

Dave Cameron

Chris,

On 05/06/20 23:41, Chris Pitre wrote:
is there anyone that can assist with an ECHOIRLP installation for
Debian 10 off list.

I don't think the group supports that software being installed on IRLP
computers.

IF it will not work with Debian, perhaps I can get assistance
installing CentOS, there is a message during the install process that
it will not get past.
There is a Debian installation script.  It certainly works on Debian 9,
but I can't 100% confirm on Debian 10.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 06/06/20 02:38, Chris Pitre wrote:
I appreciate the info, I 'm trying to do the install on a PC based node.

The Echolink node is not showing up the echolink user page ..nor does
it let me connect to anything..says the node you are calling does not
exist.

I have opened ports 5198 and 5199 on my router...I think.

This may be an easy process and perhaps im just overlooking the finest
detail.
Looks like your node isn't logging into the Echolink servers.

Check that your Echolink node name (must be a -L or -R) and password are
in uppercase in tbd.conf.  Also, you must make sure that
MaxConferenceClients is set to 2 - no other value will work!

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 06/06/20 02:51, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:

Chris,

"PC based node"?  The software being discussed in this group runs under a carefully limited operating system of linux, not Windows (just to be clear).

I think he means "not on a Pi - using PC hardware".
--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 06/06/20 06:42, Rick Szajkowski wrote:
That would narrow things down for sure , just make sure the ports are
forwarded to the correct IP address on your lan , if both system have
the same IP make sure that both are not on at the same time , would be
better if the new one was not the same IP for testing ( or the old one )
For everyone's information, any references to port forwarding are a red
herring with regards to the OP's question.  Port forwarding issues
causes a totally DIFFERENT error.  Specifically:

The original question talked about "The node could not be found".  This
means that tlb was not able to log into the Echolink servers for some
reason.  Common causes are:

1.  Incorrect node name/callsign.  It must be a valid registered node
and be a repeater (-R) or link (-L) callsign.  User logins will also
cause this error, and using a conference ID will cause tbd to run as an
independent conference, not an EchoIRLP node.

2.  Incorrect password - make sure this is correct.

3.  MaxConferenceClients MUST be set to 2 (i.e. MaxConferenceClients =
2).  No other value will work.

As for port forwarding, if there's issues there, you'll get a different
error ("The call attempt has timed out").  This is why I know the root
cause here is not port forwarding.  There _may_ be port forwarding
issues, but they won't be evident until the authentication issue is
fixed first.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Rick Szajkowski

We figured this out when he booted the old node and every thing worked

Just waiting on if he found the problem

Most likely the password was on lower case ( I hope )

Richard Szajkowski
VA3 RZS VA3ZJ VE3BTE