Echolink and IRLP

avvidclif

Ok ya'll can laugh, giggle and point fingers all you want but I have a question. Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Here goes: I really haven't figured out this Echolink/IRLP deal. What's the difference? Our club has one of Daves older computers and it is running Echolink and IRLP. I'm tasked with keeping it running but so far it's been easy. The hiccups have been simple,few, and far between. (And Dave is only an e-mail away, and great support) I know when we have bad weather and the weather net is called up the NWS logs in via Echolink to see what we're up to and ask questions. Other that that we get folks coming in frequently. Most link up and and disconnect when they get no response in 2 seconds. Seems like anyway. That's what happens when your location is listed as Gun Barrel City.

Anyway since my name is Clif give me my notes on Echolink/Irlp. A little short tutorial on what each does and the differences would be very nice. I'm not a computer nerd, I was too old when nerds became the thing. To me a computer is a tool, like a hammer.

Be gentle!

Dave K9DC

Basically, IRLP and Echolink are completely separate networks that perform similar functions, i.e linking amateur radio endpoints to each other.

The difference is what constitutes an endpoint. IRLP endpoints are always a radio of some kind, usually a repeater. IRLP does not allow any non-radio connected endpoints in the network. IRLP runs on Linux.

Echolink runs primarily on Windows, and connects to radio or repeater endpoints just like IRLP nodes. But Echolink also allows folks to connect using just a PC with a microphone and speaker attached. There also is an app for most smartphones.

You have EchoIRLP installed on your IRLP node, which allows it to make an IRLP call or an Echolink call, but blocks out the opposite network whenever a call is up.

Echolink uses the low bandwidth GSM codec which limits the quality of the connection. IRLP users the GSM codec (16 kbps) for Echolink calls, but uses either the ADPCM (40 kbps) or UNCOMP (80 kbps) for most IRLP calls. So IRLP will almost always sound much better.

There are some other operational differences, including settings you can change to avoid the “drive-by” calls you are receiving, but the information above are the basic differences.

Dave K9DC

On Aug 8, 2021, at 20:20, avvidclif <clif@avvid.com> wrote:

[...]

Rick NK7I

In the simplest terms; EchoLink runs on phones, tablets, computers, two cans and a string and radios.  IRLP demands radios at each end ONLY.  Internet RADIO Relay Project

IRLP is also more secure, more tightly managed, monitored and cared for; so is the operating system it runs on (linux, nothing else).

Good to hear from you Clif, hope you're fully enjoying retirement (it takes a few years to get into the swing of it).

Rick NK7I (former customer)

On 8/8/2021 6:20 PM, avvidclif wrote:
[...]

Oops, Internet RADIO Linking Project, my bad.

Rick

On 8/8/2021 6:58 PM, Rick NK7I via groups.io wrote:

[...]

coondaddy@...

Thanks for passing along the info.

On another matter, is NextLink coming out today? I would like to know that goes.

On 8/8/2021 8:20 PM, avvidclif wrote:
[...]

Herman Hoffman

Echolink is a software that applies an easier to use video interface on IRLP.  IRLP is still operating beneath the pretty face of Echolink.  WA9LFQ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Utter nonsense!

Two entirely different designs with no commonality other than IRLP can work with the less secure and inferior EchoLink system.

Rick NK7I
7962

On 8/9/2021 8:28 AM, Herman Hoffman wrote:

[...]

Somewhere back in my brain I remember seeing that Echolink uses computers and phones etc for connection but IRLP is radio to radio only.

Herman could you expand on that a bit. I thought the 2 didn't talk???

Dave K9DC

On Aug 9, 2021, at 10:28, Herman Hoffman <hhoffman47@...> wrote:

Echolink is a software that applies an easier to use video interface on IRLP.  IRLP is still operating beneath the pretty face of Echolink.  WA9LFQ

Actually that is not true.  Echolink is totally separate from IRLP.  Different protocols, different security model, different infrastructure entirely.  Echolink runs on Windows, smartphones and tablets, years ago there was a MacOS version.  IRLP is intended to be operated fully using only a radio and DTMF (we sometimes refer to it as the “RUI,” Radio User Interface). In fact most folks do not even have a keyboard and monitor attached to their nodes.  After the installation there really is no need.  Whenever I go to my repeater site, I usually take along an iPad to log in to the node using SSH.

The EchoIRLP package allows a working IRLP node to also make Echolink calls, by installing a copy of theBridge conference software to handle the echolink side of things.  But it does not allow connections to be made between the networks. If there is an IRLP call up, the Echolink side is locked out, and vice versa.

The only place IRLP and Echolink are allowed to meet is on a Reflector or EXPerimental node. One reflector that I manage is IRLP 9735, which is also the Echolink *CROSSRDS* conference, also 9735 in the Echolink network.  Further, it runs as Allstarlink 539444. The reflector actually allows stations from all three networks to connect and talk to each other.  But it cannot make outbound calls to any of them.

Allstarlink is, yet again another network totally separate both IRLP and Echolink.

Dave, K9DC

Herman Hoffman

Like most arguments, the key is in the language.  The question is specifically about Echolink and IRLP, nothing else.  I answered the question about that combination only.  Get real, ease up a bit.  I know there are several more SW/hardware combinations.

To All, I beg your forgiveness for having spread my version of experience with Echolink and IRLP, specifically, in one sentence.

Addressing the question with a brief description avoided confusion and I am well aware that IRLP is a requirement that functions with Echolink.  While other network connections also work with Echolink my limited experience is primarily with IRLP.  The Echolink app or PC software makes a connection to the IRLP network via an internet connection and then used radio or another connection to go the last mile or miles.  I beg forgiveness that I spoke out of turn.  I maintain a reflector node and have been a ham radio operator and engineer for over 50 years and senility is setting in.  I have been maintaining my node for the public good for nearly five years.  It has been upgraded and rebuilt a number of times which I did with the support of Klaus Rung and as such I am his grasshopper with great success.  I yield to Master Dave.

I will no longer burden anybody with my rubbish.  Success has its own reward.  WA9LFQ

On Aug 9, 2021, at 13:56, Herman Hoffman <hhoffman47@gmail.com> wrote:

Addressing the question with a brief description avoided confusion and I am well aware that IRLP is a requirement that functions with Echolink. While other network connections also work with Echolink my limited experience is primarily with IRLP. The Echolink app or PC software makes a connection to the IRLP network via an internet connection and then used radio or another connection to go the last mile or miles.
I am just trying to clear up a misunderstanding and avoiding passing bad information to others that may be following this thread.

That is what I was saying was incorrect. The Echolink app or PC software does NOT make any connection to the IRLP network. The IRLP network is completely separate from Echolink. Even if you have the EchoIRLP package installed on your node, it connects to the Echolink network to make Echolink calls. It only updates the IRLP Status Page that your node is in an Echolink call and not available for IRLP calls. It does use the same connection to the Internet, including IRLP VPN (if you have that). But the destination networks are completely separate.

It is not a requirement that IRLP functions with Echolink. Never has been, never will be. In fact there is no official support for EchoIRLP and using your IRLP node to make Echolink calls. We (the installs support team) will not help you repair your Echolink software. Mainly because it is not a product of IRLP.net. It was a contributed package by others years ago, considered experimental and unsupported. Most folks can install it with little difficulty, but it can also make quite a mess of things.

--
Dave K9DC, IRLP Installation Team

Ted VE3TRQ

On Aug 9, 2021, at 10:28, Herman Hoffman <hhoffman47@...> wrote (in part):

The Echolink app or PC software makes a connection to the IRLP network via an internet connection and then used radio or another connection to go the last mile or miles.

Our esteemed "ham radio operator and engineer for over 50 years" appears to have conflated IRLP nodes and reflectors which take multiple VOIP systems. If one considers Dave's reflector 9735 as part of the "IRLP network", such as mentioned earlier in this thread, what Herman says makes sense.

Ted VE3TRQ
Node 2403/2404

Dave K9DC

TBH, if you want to be technically more accurate, the software (TLB) I’m running on 9735 actually first exists as an Echolink conference *CROSSRDS*.   It has ports open for IRLP and Allstarlink as secondary functions. The standard IRLP reflector has been disabled for channel 5 on 9730.  The entire conference is managed using the standard Echolink set of tools.

Now that does not mean your node uses the Echolink network to get there. Echolink stations use the Echolink network to arrive, IRLP uses the IRLP network and the Allstar nodes use the Allstarlink network to arrive. The reflector has a toe in all three networks. There is an Allstar Asterisk hub on board as well.  But the reflector/conference/hub cannot make outbound calls to any of the connected networks.

All the software is running on the same single host (VM in my case), with the audio streams connected together.  One of the features is that TLB transcodes between the codecs in use. Allstar and IRLP will use the high quality codecs we like (UNCOMP/ULAW), but can still use the low bandwidth codec (GSM) to/from Echolink stations.

The only lingering defect is, the conference/reflector/hub operates full duplex. So folks can easily double with each other, which really creates quite a mess. There are some parameters defined to force half-duplex, but they do not appear to have been implemented in the TLB code.

I went through the process mainly as an academic exercise just to see if it could all be done on a single host, many folks operate with Asterisk on a machine separate from the reflector or EXP reflector.  I probably won’t do it again.  In the last six months,  I think I have only received a single call from an Allstar node that was not part of my setup testing.

I owe a big thank you to David WD5M, for keeping me on the path, during a crash course learning about Allstar (which I do not recommend btw, it is a huge can of worms, IMO).

IRLP Reflector 9735
Echolink Conference *CROSSRDS* (9735)
Allstarlink HUB 539444

-Dave k9dc

On 10/8/21 1:28 am, Herman Hoffman wrote:

Echolink is a software that applies an easier to use video interface on IRLP.  IRLP is still operating beneath the pretty face of Echolink.  WA9LFQ

Umm, no, they are totally separate networks.  It is true that IRLP and Echolink do more or less the same thing (link distant sites via IP), though Echolink allows direct access to the network from a PC or smartphone, while IRLP only allows access from ham radio frequencies.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

On 10/8/21 11:33 pm, Ted VE3TRQ wrote:

On Aug 9, 2021, at 10:28, Herman Hoffman <hhoffman47@...> wrote (in part):

The Echolink app or PC software makes a connection to the IRLP network via an internet connection and then used radio or another connection to go the last mile or miles.

Our esteemed "ham radio operator and engineer for over 50 years" appears to have conflated IRLP nodes and reflectors which take multiple VOIP systems. If one considers Dave's reflector 9735 as part of the "IRLP network", such as mentioned earlier in this thread, what Herman says makes sense.

Such a reflector is simply a dual ported system that offers connectivity to both IRLP and Echolink nodes.  For this to work, the reflector is a member of both networks, so Echolink nodes connect to its Echolink side, IRLP nodes connect to ref9735.

I run several similar systems on ref955x, moat are similar dual ported systems, and one is IRLP, but linked to an external multiprotocol reflector.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Fred

Dave Gingrich,

    Just for the record, using TLB, you can make outbound calls at the reflector level on Echolink.

On 8/9/21 3:05 PM, Dave K9DC via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Technically yes, Allstar Hubs can do that too. But there is no way for anyone to do that via DTMF from a radio without considerable extra scripting. Someone would have to log in to the reflector using SSH, and manually set up the call, using TLB or Asterisk. That is not happening.

Even if it could do that, I doubt that Echolink.org or Allstarlink.org would have a problem with the maneuver. Although I did not ask, because it won’t work anyway.

-k9dc

On Aug 11, 2021, at 06:44, Fred via groups.io <w5mgm=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave Gingrich,

Just for the record, using TLB, you can make outbound calls at the reflector level on Echolink.

WD5M David M.

The weather spotter groups I work with have used custom web interfaces for more than a decade to manage theBridge and theLinkbox interconnected systems. They include the ability to make outgoing connections. See screen captures below. This control interface method is being extended to Allstar HUBs. We also created a custom method to remotely connect a few select IRLP nodes to TBD/TLB. Not a problem if you own or have access to those IRLP nodes. Otherwise, we may use one of our IRLP nodes to connect directly to an IRLP spotter repeater, or they can connect to our TBD/TLB conferences.

In general though, the vast majority of users on each VoIP system, IRLP, EchoLink, Allstar, etc., probably do not care about having a method built-in to their own node to connect to multiple types of VoIP networks.  Most will just connect to nodes on their network, or one of the existing cross connected systems, such as experimental IRLP nodes,  IRLP reflectors, EchoLink conferences and Allstar HUBs. Attempts to provide this ability in Allstar have been limited and overly complicated, not to mention other issues.

EchoIRLP allows us to use IRLP hardware to connect to either IRLP or EchoLink networks, thus saving some implementation cost. That may be a minority of IRLP users. However it has worked well for us over the years.

In order to maximize our ability to get weather spotter reports (SKYWARN) we have tried to provide methods to access the linked repeater systems used by spotters. Our NWS office covers 46 counties and thousands of square miles. Even though the NWS office allows us access to their 100' tower, we cannot reach repeaters in all counties directly from that office. Now, with COVID, we have lost access to the NWS office and radios. Even RF linked repeaters only provide access to a very limited area. IRLP and EchoLink have been used to access remote weather spotter repeaters since about 2000. Allstar is gaining a foothold and we have added Allstar HUBs. DMR and other networked digital modes have yet to gain enough popularity among spotters to make it worthwhile to invest as much effort to connect and use them, so far. However, recent methods added to cross connect  to digital networks via Allstar may make them trivial to add. Remote base systems are also being added to our tool chest too, including a web control interface. These methods have become more important with COVID restrictions.

image.png
image.png
image.png
Regards,
David M.
WD5M

On Aug 11, 2021, at 07:35, Dave K9DC via groups.io <Dave=dcg.us@groups.io> wrote:
Technically yes, Allstar Hubs can do that too. But there is no way for anyone to do that via DTMF from a radio without considerable extra scripting.
In fact, since the reflector only carries and occasionally transcodes digital streams, and there is nothing on board the Reflector/Conference/Hub to even try to decode DTMF. The only place DTMF is decoded and evaluated, is on the originating IRLP node. The default for nodes in IRLP, is to mute DTMF although it is pretty easy to defeat that function. DTMF regeneration does not work across a reflector.

Remember, the main point of all this is to protect the IRLP network from accidental (or intentional) access from sources that have not been authenticated by IRLP. While allowing stations on any of the three to talk to each other. I am less concerned with protecting Echolink and Allstarlink networks (although they are). IRLP Reflectors cannot make calls and radios cannot be connected to a Reflector.

I remain reasonably secure with my statement “That is not happening.”

All of this discussion also applies to EXP reflectors.

-k9dc

On 11/8/21 9:44 pm, Fred via groups.io wrote:
Dave Gingrich,

    Just for the record, using TLB, you can make outbound calls at the
reflector level on Echolink.
But not to normal IRLP nodes, because you need the IRLP authentication,
before establishing the voice channel.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com