Topics

Existing Node, can't logon, lost s/w to rebuild

Jim Aspinwall, No1PC

I've got Node 3133 that's been sitting here active/on-line running on RPi B+ 1.2 but haven't had it interfaced to a radio for some time.  Decided it was time to re-interface a radio and set it up, but alas the passwords I have for root and repeater aren't working.  My thought is that it's about time to wipe and rebuild, but I need to find the software, unless there's a way to mount the SD card file system and 'hack' my way in?   Compelled to get this running for an event this coming Tuesday evening.  Suggestions? SOLUTIONS?

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

Jim Aspinwall, No1PC wrote:

My thought is that it's about time to wipe and rebuild, but I need to
find the software, unless there's a way to mount the SD card file
system and 'hack' my way in?   Compelled to get this running for an
event this coming Tuesday evening.  Suggestions? SOLUTIONS?
If you mount the sdcard on another LINUX machine, as root, you can take
a "known good" encrypted password from any (other) Linux /etc/shadow and
paste it into the PIRLP's /etc/shadow - you can change the username but
probably shouldn't touch the other fields

Alternatively you can boot the pi with an HDMI monitor and keyboard,
interrupt the boot process, edit the boot arguments (possibly called
cmdline.txt in the pi bootloader, I can't recall exactly) and add "-s s"
on the end to boot in single-user mode. It *MIGHT* still ask you for a
root password, but if it doesn't, you're logged in as root, not much is
running, but you can "passwd" to change root's and "passwd repeater" to
change repeater's, then reboot and log in.

If the above asks for a root password before you can even log in, try
instead to use boot arguments ending "init=/bin/bash" which should
definitely log you in as root but EVEN LESS is running, you'll struggle
to even bring up network, but should at least be able to "passwd",
"passwd repeater", "reboot".

Remember to remove the "-s s" or "init=/bin/bash" when you reboot, or
you'll be stuck in single-user mode for the foreseeable future  :-D

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@...