From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>
Date: 2020-12-02 4:32 a.m. (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: [IRLP] Faulty Board

Hi Dave
I did the impossible and killed a node board it has issues with DTMF. Is it viable to send it back for repair it’s for node 6459 in Alice Springs we have a spare that’s in service now on UHF that Greg Winterflood purchased but would be good to also have a working node on VHF

Cheers
Phill Gray
VK8PHL

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

David Cameron wrote:
It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?

Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D

Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net

Phill Gray

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent

On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@noseynick.com> wrote:

David Cameron wrote:
[...]

Jeff

Try sending the DTMF with a different radio...

David Cameron wrote:
[...]

David Cameron - IRLP

Please send a table of what is decoded when you press what key..

Pressed / See

1 / 1
2 / 3
3 / 3
4 / 5
5 / 5
.
.

Looks like there is a bit "stuck". This usually points to a cabling issue or issue with the parallel port/ GPIO.

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>
Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Faulty Board

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

Phill Gray

Hi Dave,

The following occurs;

Type readinput & Press Enter

Displays                DTMF 1

Sent Digit             Displays
1                              (Nothing Displays)
2                              DTMF 3

                                DTMF 1

3                              DTMF 3

                                DTMF 1

4                              DTMF 5

                                DTMF 1

5                              DTMF 5

                                DTMF 1

6                              DTMF 7

                                DTMF 1

7                              DTMF 7

                                DTMF 1

8                              DTMF 9

                                DTMF 1

9                              DTMF 9

                                DTMF 1

0                              DTMF S

                                DTMF 1

If I swap the IRLP board with my spare it works fine.

Thanks Phill

VK8PHL

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

bruce clements

Phil

I had the same problem on a version 3 board and was able to repair it.

I found the IC that drives the parallel port was defective. If you don't have the experience or tools to work on SMT technology , I would send it for repair or buy a new one. If you are up to the challenge,  all you can do is blow it up.😊😊

I removed the board and put it on the bench and troubleshoot it.

Good luck

Bruce
Ve3bv
Node 2226
Caretaker for Nodes 2480 and 2920.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

David Cameron - IRLP

Is this on a PC or Pi? When you swap the board, is it just the board you swap, or any cables?

As mentioned in another email, there is a driver chip between the parallel port and the dtmf chip. It is a quad AND gate and one of the gates appears to be stuck. But the issue can also exist in the cable from the board to whatever it plugs into.

If it is the AND gate, it's fixable. If the dtmf chip is bad its not as easy.

Dave

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

Phill Gray

It is a PI and it is only the board I swap.

Where is the AND gate located physically on the board and what type is it.

I would like to try and change it out myself or send it to Ross here in Australia if its too tricky for me.

Cheers

Phill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

David Cameron - IRLP

See picture. But, it could be a short elsewhere... so look physically at the chip.

It is a 7408 quad AND gate.

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

Phill Gray

Merry Christmas to all
Thanks for the assistance given to me I replaced the suspect chip today and now all is well
Phill
VK8PHL

From: Phill Gray <vk8phl@...>

Date: 2020-12-03 1:20 a.m. (GMT-08:00)

To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io

When you run the DTMF test it decodes as 2 digits ie 1 3 and not the correct actual digit sent
> On 3 Dec 2020, at 10:12 am, Nosey Nick VA3NNW <irlp@...> wrote:
>
> David Cameron wrote:
>> It really depends on what the failure is.  Can you detail what has failed? Does it not decode all tones? Does the decode some? Normally, if the DTMF chip needs to be replaced, it's not very easy to repair.
>
> I wonder... Is it not easier, cheaper, and probably MORE RELIABLE to decode DTMF in software these days?
>
> Strikes me... COS and PTT could probably be done with 2 or 3 components hidden on/in the plugs/sockets or at worst a "bump in the cable" plugged directly into the pi's GPIO. DTMF could (probably better) be done in software... Is it time to obsolete the IRLP board, or... do you have a huge backlog of boards you wanna sell first?   :-D
>
> Nick VA3NNW
>
> --
> "Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
> use Std::Disclaimer;    sig@...
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -- Einstein

<144976907_20201205_180604_2160647_resized.jpg>