getting node 1642 back on

Ron VE8RT

Its been months since my node, 1642, failed. I'd like to get it
going again, and I'm open to ideas. It will likely be less frustrating
and faster to consider new hardware and I'm open to ideas. Not a deal
breaker, but I would like to have it run on battery power for a while
if the power goes out. This afternoon I did some online research on
the PiIRLP, I expected more examples and documentation online than what
I found.

Construction, downloading and saving image files, etc., are all
doable here. I have RPi 3B to work with if that is the suggested
direction to go.

Where to start?

Ron VE8RT

--
Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@yknwt.ca>

larry_n7fm

Ron,

<http://www.irlp.net/R_Pi/>

Dave Cameron has kindly places all the directions and pictures there showing how to build/convert to a Raspberry Pi node.

I have done this and it is not hard to do.
My only suggestion is if using a raspberry Pi with a 40 pin header is to use a 40 pin IDE flat cable rather than a 25 pin serial cable. Reason being if you use the 40 pin cable you don't have to cut pins off the RPi header.
which you'll need to do to allow the 25 pin connector to plug on.

Just cut off the extra wires on the 40 pin cable and follow Dave pictures pertaining to the remaining 25 pins.

Larry - N7FM

On 1/31/21 6:48 PM, Ron VE8RT wrote:
Its been months since my node, 1642, failed. I'd like to get it
going again, and I'm open to ideas. It will likely be less frustrating
and faster to consider new hardware and I'm open to ideas. Not a deal
breaker, but I would like to have it run on battery power for a while
if the power goes out. This afternoon I did some online research on
the PiIRLP, I expected more examples and documentation online than what
I found.
Construction, downloading and saving image files, etc., are all
doable here. I have RPi 3B to work with if that is the suggested
direction to go.
Where to start?
Ron VE8RT

larry_n7fm

Ron,

Here is some more info.
I should have included this link with the first email.

<http://www.irlp.net/pi/directions.txt>

Larry - N7FM

On 1/31/21 6:48 PM, Ron VE8RT wrote:
Its been months since my node, 1642, failed. I'd like to get it
going again, and I'm open to ideas. It will likely be less frustrating
and faster to consider new hardware and I'm open to ideas. Not a deal
breaker, but I would like to have it run on battery power for a while
if the power goes out. This afternoon I did some online research on
the PiIRLP, I expected more examples and documentation online than what
I found.
Construction, downloading and saving image files, etc., are all
doable here. I have RPi 3B to work with if that is the suggested
direction to go.
Where to start?
Ron VE8RT

Ron VE8RT

Thanks Larry,

I can get started with that. What about a Pi Zero W can that be used?

Ron VE8RT

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 23:46:30 -0800
"larry_n7fm" <larry@n7fm.com> wrote:

[...]

I can't comment on the Pi Zero. I've never owned one. From what I have read other than being a smaller footprint for the Pi alone, by the time you add the additional outboard hardware needed to do many of the outside world functions the cost advantage and the footprint with it's added hardware, said to me ...just buy a full sized Pi.
In the end, cost becomes similar and overall footprint is more compact and less clutter.

Larry - N7FM

On 2/1/21 4:28 AM, Ron VE8RT wrote:
[...]

David Cameron - IRLP

Two main issues with the zero:
1) No ethernet - I caution those that run on wireless - real time applications like IRLP and wireless are not optimal. You will get increased packet loss and packets arriving out of order that are not as bad when wired.

2) USB is harder to use - You need to use adapters to attach the sound card, as for some reason the Pi seems resistant to adding an audio codec to their chips.

Dave

On 2021-02-01 9:30 a.m., larry_n7fm wrote:
Ron,
[...]

good to know. I have both the 3B+ and the Zero W I liked not having
the header pins on the Zero, but will go with the 3B+.

73 Ron VE8RT

On 2021-02-01 9:30 a.m., larry_n7fm wrote:
Ron,
[...]

Nosey Nick VA3NNW

larry_n7fm wrote:
I can't comment on the Pi Zero. I've never owned one. From what I have read other than being a smaller footprint for the Pi alone, by the time you add the additional outboard hardware needed to do many of the outside world functions the cost advantage and the footprint with it's added hardware, said to me ...just buy a full sized Pi.
Pi Zero W works fine for IRLP for me! Delightful little beastie, and more powerful than any of the 1st/2nd-gen RPis.

"The additional outboard hardware" is... what? You're going to need to add a USB soundcard regardless of which Pi, and an sdcard regardless of which Pi, and a power supply regardless of which Pi. You may or may not want a monitor or keyboard regardless of which Pi.

What is the Pi Zero W missing that "a full sized Pi" already comes with? Oh maybe (as I see Dave has noted) if you wanted WIRED Ethernet? ... but good wifi is unlikely to be your bottleneck these days, at least until IRLP adds video streaming support   ;-)

Nick VA3NNW

--

"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net

larry_n7fm

Hi Nick,

Good feedback. Glad you enlightened us.

As I say never owned a Pi zero so plenty of ignorance here.

In my case I utilize the IRLP Raspberry Pi for some other things other than just IRLP so a USB HUB popped into my mind as a single microUSB doesn't cut it for me. Nor for others should they wish to run it with Keyboard and mouse while programming it. Or the need for an Ethernet connection when a wifi access point isn't available.

Anyway thanks for letting us know IRLP will actually run on the Pi ZERO.

Larry - N7FM

On 2/1/21 7:24 PM, Nosey Nick VA3NNW wrote:
larry_n7fm wrote:
[...]

I really like the form of the Zero, however as this is my first
attempt at a PiIRLP I think that I should start out using a 3B+ The
current (unserviceable mini-ITX) set up already has a cable for
ethernet available.

Thanks for the comments, a Pi Zero node may yet happen in the future.

As battery back-up is important I'll see if I have a Pi 2 series to
use (I think that they take less power).

Ron VE8RT

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 21:02:20 -0800

larry_n7fm wrote:
In my case I utilize the IRLP Raspberry Pi for some other things other than just IRLP so a USB HUB popped into my mind as a single microUSB doesn't cut it for me. Nor for others should they wish to run it with Keyboard and mouse while programming it. Or the need for an Ethernet connection when a wifi access point isn't available.
Perfectly fair point. If you have good reliable WiFi and ONLY need the USB sound card, the Pi Zero W (with Wifi) is almost ideal.

If you wanted ANY other USB things (including keyboard/mouse or wired ethernet) you would need a hub, or one of the bigger Pis.

Anyway thanks for letting us know IRLP will actually run on the Pi ZERO.
Yup! The Linux machine is smaller than the IRLP interface, but works great!   :-D

Cheers
Nick VA3NNW

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer; sig@noseynick.net
How does Teflon stick to the pan?

Ron VE8RT

Hi Larry,

I'm taking another try at getting node 1642 back on. I've followed
the instructions from the link you have below, but I have not selected
NEW as I'm transitioning from a PC to a Pi. I have back-up USB stick
from the PC and have re-booted with it in, other than a few lines
appearing after boot up about irlp I don't know what if anything was
read from the USB stick.

Are you still able to help me with this or should I send an e-mail to
installs@****

Ron VE8RT node 1642

[...]

Greetings Ron,

If you are transitioning Hardware from PC to a Pi.

My Advice would be to follow the directions at <http://www.irlp.net/pi/directions.txt> but during the install process when it asks if you want to do a NEW or REINSTALL choose REINSTALL if you want to preserve your node number and other information from the original Node.

Once that is completed follow the instructions at <http://www.irlp.net/new-install/afterinstallv2.pdf>.

If you have issues with either of those instructions contact Installs,
as at that point if you have followed those instructions you may need their login access to correct things if something is wrong.

Larry - N7FM

On 7/3/21 10:35 PM, Ron VE8RT wrote:
[...]

Dave K9DC

Nothing at all is read from the USB stick on boot. The USB stick contains the file irlp_backup.tgz, which contains all the IRLP files unique to your node. The file is used to REINSTALL IRLP on whatever platform you are now going to use.

If you say NEW, you will get a new node number assigned and the backup configuration will be discarded. Basically it creates a real mess that can only untangled by the Installs volunteers.

After answering REINSTALL to the type question, you will further be asked if you want to perform a CLEAN REINSTALL. Generally when switching platforms, especially if the existing node has been around for a while. this is a good idea. A CLEAN reinstallation only grabs only your callsign, node number and PGP keys from the backup file. Everything else is brand new and complete. The main thing you want is a full and complete environment file, with all the new variables required for Debian 10. You will have to set up any extra features or codes separately.

Dave K9DC

On Jul 4, 2021, at 01:35, Ron VE8RT <ve8rt@yknwt.ca> wrote:

[...]

this is interesting, as I had been reading the instructions from the
website as I went along I made absolution certain that I did not type
in NEW. I did type in REINSTALL and was exited to to command line.

I'll be away from this for a couple of hours, then I'll try
REINSTALL again and report back.

Thanks to you and Dave for this additional help. I'll also need to
check and maybe change the router firewall settings.

Ron VE8RT node 1642

On Sun, 4 Jul 2021 08:15:03 -0700