How to ban callsigns

N9UMJ

Where do I ban callsigns, I have a hate group that links to my node every sunday night, I'd like to block the callsign that is linking my node to the group.

Rick n9umj

Dave K9DC

You create a file inside the custom directory called “lockout_list” and enter the node numbers you want to block.

Example…

ref9100
stn4730
stn7530

Calls to or from the respective nodes will be blocked. Make sure there is nothing other than stnXxXX or refXXXX on any lines in the file.

-k9dc

On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:35, N9UMJ <n9umj2@gmail.com> wrote:

Where do I ban callsigns, I have a hate group that links to my node every sunday night, I'd like to block the callsign that is linking my node to the group.

Rick n9umj

Dave K9DC

Forgot to mention, ALL_REF is a valid entry, it blocks calls to all reflectors. Also in IRLP we block node numbers, not callsigns.

-k9dc

On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:41, k9dc <dave@dcg.us> wrote:

You create a file inside the custom directory called “lockout_list” and enter the node numbers you want to block.

Example…

ref9100
stn4730
stn7530

Calls to or from the respective nodes will be blocked. Make sure there is nothing other than stnXxXX or refXXXX on any lines in the file.

-k9dc

On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:35, N9UMJ <n9umj2@gmail.com> wrote:

Where do I ban callsigns, I have a hate group that links to my node every sunday night, I'd like to block the callsign that is linking my node to the group.

Rick n9umj

Nothing you can do to block call signs. In the /home/irlp/custom folder you can create a file that is called  lockout_list  and put in the node number that you want to block in that file.

Mick -  W7CAT

--

N9UMJ

Thanks dave

This is an echolink connection I'll pull the stn number from the log.

Rick

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

You create a file inside the custom directory called “lockout_list” and enter the node numbers you want to block.

Example…

ref9100
stn4730
stn7530

Calls to or from the respective nodes will be blocked. Make sure there is nothing other than stnXxXX or refXXXX on any lines in the file.

-k9dc

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:35, N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:
>
> Where do I ban callsigns, I have a hate group that links to my node every sunday night, I'd like to block the callsign that is linking my node to the group.
>
> Rick n9umj

Dave K9DC

Goops… TO block reflector calls, the entry is ALLREF (not ALL_REF)

-k9dc

On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:46, k9dc <dave@dcg.us> wrote:

[...]

That is done in the file /home/EchoIRLP/custom/node_deny, enter echolink callsigns (including the -L or -R as appropriate). Note the other files, like type_deny are very handy sometimes. In one of mine I have the following in type_deny

user
link
repeater
conference

Basically that blocks all incoming calls.

-k9dc

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM k9dc <Dave@dcg.us> wrote:

You create a file inside the custom directory called “lockout_list” and enter the node numbers you want to block.

Example…

ref9100
stn4730
stn7530

Calls to or from the respective nodes will be blocked. Make sure there is nothing other than stnXxXX or refXXXX on any lines in the file.

-k9dc

N9UMJ

Thanks again, Dave it's a -L thats been highjacking the node, I ve had several complaints from the repeater users, They stopped for awhile, but now they're back and worse than before.

Rick

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

That is done in the file /home/EchoIRLP/custom/node_deny, enter echolink callsigns (including the -L or -R as appropriate).  Note the other files, like type_deny are very handy sometimes. In one of mine I have the following in type_deny

user
link
repeater
conference

Basically that blocks all incoming calls.

-k9dc

> On Oct 12, 2020, at 22:47, N9UMJ <n9umj2@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks dave
>
> This is an echolink connection I'll pull the stn number from the log.
>
> Rick
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:
>
> You create a file inside the custom directory called “lockout_list” and enter the node numbers you want to block.
>
> Example…
>
> ref9100
> stn4730
> stn7530
>
> Calls to or from the respective nodes will be blocked. Make sure there is nothing other than stnXxXX or refXXXX on any lines in the file.
>
> -k9dc

Dave K9DC

Enter call signs in UPPER case.

-k9dc

On 13/10/20 1:47 pm, N9UMJ wrote:
Thanks dave

This is an echolink connection I'll pull the stn number from the log.
look at /home/EchoIRLP/custom/node_deny.  All you need to do is put the
offending callsign into that file in uppercase.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

N9UMJ

Thanks Dave and Tony

I added the calls in the deny_list and reduced the number of conference connections to 2, I want to discourage them from wanting it to bridge their conferences..

Rick n9umj

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 11:09 PM Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
On 13/10/20 1:47 pm, N9UMJ wrote:
> Thanks dave
>
> This is an echolink connection I'll pull the stn number from the log.
look at /home/EchoIRLP/custom/node_deny.  All you need to do is put the
offending callsign into that file in uppercase.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Dave K9DC

You might consider placing “conference” in type_deny

The only acceptable number for conference connections is 2, lest you run into the problem of running a disallowed conference server under you callsign. Echolink charge $40/year for doing that. If you never have been caught with a higher value, you are just lucky.

Echolink can be a real PIA. I removed it from my main machines, only leaving one, because I have one user that uses it regularly.

-k9dc

On Oct 14, 2020, at 00:00, N9UMJ <n9umj2@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Dave and Tony

I added the calls in the deny_list and reduced the number of conference connections to 2, I want to discourage them from wanting it to bridge their conferences..

Rick n9umj

N9UMJ

Thanks

I would like to remove it completely , but we have several regular users outside of the W9WIN coverage area,  Im working on some digital alternatives to ween off the Echolink users including analog to digital . Echolink has been problematic with the same type of issues, Since were not using it for any EMComm linking any longer, conferencing isn't needed.

I appreciate all of the suggestions from the group.

Rick n9umj

On 14/10/20 5:25 pm, k9dc wrote:
You might consider placing “conference” in type_deny
That only works for actual conferences.  It doesn't stop another (-L, -R
or user) from going into conference mode and linking you to other
stations.  To block that requires a bit more scripting.  I did prepare
some modified version of the scripts that are on the integrated
reflectors that can fulfil this role, that would work on a standalone
conference.

A slightly different version would be needed for an EchoIRLP node, and
could be included (but disabled by default) with future distributions.
Another project to add to the to do list. :)

For anyone who wants to roll their own, the principle is simple.  You
need to run two checks.  The first is when a station connects, run
${ECHO_TBD_COMMAND} users, look for the line with the connecting
stations callsign and check its connection status.  If there is a "c" (I
think) in this field - refer to tbd documentation), then immediately
disconnect that station.  You can also send a text and/or voice message
informing them why you're disconnecting.

The second check needs to be run periodically, such as every minute from
cron.  This is to catch stations that connect, then go into conference
mode later.  Here, you again run ${ECHO_TBD_COMMAND} users, but this
time you have to check every connected station and boot those that
happen to be in conference mode at the time.

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Dave K9DC

Yup. But in Echodom, Conferences can make calls, unlike in IRLPdom w reflectors. I had to add that after I blocked user, link, and repeater and still got an incoming call! LOL.

-k9dc

On Oct 14, 2020, at 19:53, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@vkradio.com> wrote:

On 14/10/20 5:25 pm, k9dc wrote:
[...]

I included link,repeater user and conference and judging from what I heard before they started their hate rant, Was that the groups website would post the Echolink site they would be meeting on each week, which suggests that others, that aren't in the deny list could attempt a link in the future .
I'll try Tony's idea as well  since they did try multiple connect attempts after I used my kill code to shut them down, I'm not always available to monitor , but can check the log against the intrusion times and  deny according to the log. I'm hoping that this will discourage any future attempts and move on to another repeater that's users agree's with their propaganda and recruitment tactics  or away from echolink all together.

But ultimately, eliminating echolink altogether, I've never had this issue with IRLP

Rick n9umj

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 8:19 PM k9dc <Dave@...> wrote:

Yup. But in Echodom, Conferences can make calls, unlike in IRLPdom w reflectors. I had to add that after I blocked user, link, and repeater and still got an incoming call!  LOL.

-k9dc

> On Oct 14, 2020, at 19:53, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:
>
> On 14/10/20 5:25 pm, k9dc wrote:
>> You might consider placing “conference” in type_deny
> That only works for actual conferences.  It doesn't stop another (-L, -R
> or user) from going into conference mode and linking you to other
> stations.  To block that requires a bit more scripting.  I did prepare
> some modified version of the scripts that are on the integrated
> reflectors that can fulfil this role, that would work on a standalone
> conference.
>
> A slightly different version would be needed for an EchoIRLP node, and
> could be included (but disabled by default) with future distributions.
> Another project to add to the to do list. :)
>
> For anyone who wants to roll their own, the principle is simple.  You
> need to run two checks.  The first is when a station connects, run
> ${ECHO_TBD_COMMAND} users, look for the line with the connecting
> stations callsign and check its connection status.  If there is a "c" (I
> think) in this field - refer to tbd documentation), then immediately
> disconnect that station.  You can also send a text and/or voice message
> informing them why you're disconnecting.
>
> The second check needs to be run periodically, such as every minute from
> cron.  This is to catch stations that connect, then go into conference
> mode later.  Here, you again run ${ECHO_TBD_COMMAND} users, but this
> time you have to check every connected station and boot those that
> happen to be in conference mode at the time.
>
> --
> 73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
> http://vkradio.com

Dave K9DC

With all of those entries in type_deny, you have basically configured Echolink to take NO incoming calls at all, other than callsigns you listed in node_allow. That is how I ran mine, until I completely stopped Echolink.

-k9dc

On Oct 15, 2020, at 09:09, N9UMJ <n9umj2@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

If I need Echolink action, I make an IRLP connection to Ref 9735, which is the same as Echolink *CROSSRDS* (9735). You could do that too and simply tell your out of area folks, that your net will now be held on the *CROSSRDS* (9735) Echolink Conference and IRLP 9735. That would allow you to completely remove EchoIRLP from your repeater.

Check with me first before you do that. I’ll check to make sure your net time is not on top of someone else’s activity, I only operate a single echolink conference.

-k9dc

On Oct 15, 2020, at 11:03, k9dc <dave@dcg.us> wrote:

[...]

Ill watch it for for a few weeks before locking out incoming calls completely , and may lockout for a week and maybe they'll take my node off their list. I had a siimilar problem about 5 years ago and just shut it down for a month.

Ill keep the offending callsigns in the deny_list and see what else connects, I may have reacted too quickly, Now that I know what kind of varmit Im dealing with I will build a case first before knocking the stool out from under them.

Rick n9umj

On 15/10/20 11:18 am, k9dc wrote:
Yup. But in Echodom, Conferences can make calls, unlike in IRLPdom w reflectors. I had to add that after I blocked user, link, and repeater and still got an incoming call! LOL.
My point was there's stations that can be in conference mode with other
stations, but are not conferences.  Again, unlike IRLP, which is always
a 1:1 connection (node - node or node-reflector).

--
73 de Tony VK3JED/VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com