Topics

HughesNet #iso

WB6JVJ@...

Has anyone had good luck running and IRLP Node using satellite internet services, specifically HughesNet? I have a Rasperry PiRLP with internet service provided by HughesNet. I have put the node in the DMZ for firewall since the modem/router from HughesNet only permits a maximum of 10 ports to be forwarded. I can connect to the Echo Reflector and get the 'connected' voice response; however, when I key and transmit, it doesn't seem to hear my audio as it echo's nothing back to me. I can connect and disconnect using the DTMF tones; but can't get the audio to echo back to me.

Larry
WB7JFJ

Try running the troubleshoot-irlp command on your node. All tests should pass.

-k9dc

On Feb 3, 2020, at 19:18, WB6JVJ@... wrote:

Has anyone had good luck running and IRLP Node using satellite internet services, specifically HughesNet? I have a Rasperry PiRLP with internet service provided by HughesNet. I have put the node in the DMZ for firewall since the modem/router from HughesNet only permits a maximum of 10 ports to be forwarded. I can connect to the Echo Reflector and get the 'connected' voice response; however, when I key and transmit, it doesn't seem to hear my audio as it echo's nothing back to me. I can connect and disconnect using the DTMF tones; but can't get the audio to echo back to me.

Larry
WB7JFJ
Node 7770

kr6wp.jim@...

Larry,
What sort of ping times are you seeing (to irlp.net, google, or yahoo) and how many pings make it back to you?  I ask because of often reported latency problems associated with satellite internet, (assuming your port-blockage problems are managed).
Back in the day, Hughesnet was running 700ms ping times and that would be awkward at best for a Radio-over-IP connection on a busy reflector or non-simplex IRLP node.

Just curious.

Jim G.
KR6WP
Node 8240

Irlp@wildblue

WA7DJ  Dan
I have HughesNet Jen five and Viasat there Excede never could get HughesNet to return correctly last at his work seamless for years on my Irlp node 3377.
Many years ago I had star band and that was horrible the audio sounded like Max headroom stuttering
Good luck

Dan J 😊