Topics

Interesting Node Problem

Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)

Hello Group,

I tried to SSH into my node this morning and couldn't. Looking at the status page listing it shows that it is up and running and has been running. When I reload the status page it shows a time update. I can log into the remote modem so it would appear that I have an internet connection. I can also connect to the test reflector, but no audio from a test, but I do have the connect and disconnect messages. Finally, I did a reboot of the node and it rebooted. After the reboot, the same situation. I'm guessing that with it being a Pi node, it is probably a corrupted SD card. Any thoughts other than get away from the Pi? I do not have access to the site, so I can't get there.

Thinking about the above situation and lately working with a VPN/VPS, it has me wondering if some of the computer load and operations could be moved to a VPS? Lighten the load on the local computer as well as my (cellular) internet connection. Just wondering . . .

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

--

Jim MacKenzie

If it is indeed an SD-card-related issue, the best solutions seem to be:

-          Use a better-quality SD card.  Most of my problems have gone away by doing this.

-          Upgrade the power supply to provide more amperage.

Jim VE5EV

From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io [mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io] On Behalf Of Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:31 AM
To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
Subject: [IRLP] Interesting Node Problem

Hello Group,

I tried to SSH into my node this morning and couldn't. Looking at the status page listing it shows that it is up and running and has been running. When I reload the status page it shows a time update. I can log into the remote modem so it would appear that I have an internet connection. I can also connect to the test reflector, but no audio from a test, but I do have the connect and disconnect messages. Finally, I did a reboot of the node and it rebooted. After the reboot, the same situation. I'm guessing that with it being a Pi node, it is probably a corrupted SD card. Any thoughts other than get away from the Pi? I do not have access to the site, so I can't get there.

Thinking about the above situation and lately working with a VPN/VPS, it has me wondering if some of the computer load and operations could be moved to a VPS? Lighten the load on the local computer as well as my (cellular) internet connection. Just wondering . . .

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

--

David Cameron - IRLP

Mick,

I am going to wager a guess that the device that assigns IPs to the Pi node on the mountain has reset, and any specific port forwarding that might be set up.

If the IP of the node behind the router changes, then it breaks any forwarding. BUT, if you are seeing a valid time stamp from the status page, then the node is still there and running. I just checked yours though, and it is showing the last valid timestamp as "Last heard from Node: 18:22:09 on Oct 09 2019 MDT". That was quite a while ago.

If that is BEFORE you started having issues, then I agree the node is probably not responding. Could be a variety of reasons, but SD card is a good place to check first.

You can't offload the bandwidth to a VPS... You still need to talk into and out of the node. To be honest, adding a VPN or some other "go between" will only increase the bandwidth use, not reduce it. However, this may allow you to run on a cheaper Cellular option, as you will not need a routable IP address to the cellular modem. You would use a VPN client in the node, and then connect (free) to an IRLP VPN server and get an AMPR.NET 44. IP address from there. No matter what your port forwarding says, as long as you can "get out" on the internet, it should work.

Dave Cameron
VE7LTD

On 2019-10-10 10:31, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
Hello Group,
I tried to SSH into my node this morning and couldn't. Looking at the
status page listing it shows that it is up and running and has been
running. When I reload the status page it shows a time update. I can
connection. I can also connect to the test reflector, but no audio
from a test, but I do have the connect and disconnect messages.
Finally, I did a reboot of the node and it rebooted. After the reboot,
the same situation. I'm guessing that with it being a Pi node, it is
probably a corrupted SD card. Any thoughts other than get away from
the Pi? I do not have access to the site, so I can't get there.
Thinking about the above situation and lately working with a VPN/VPS,
it has me wondering if some of the computer load and operations could
be moved to a VPS? Lighten the load on the local computer as well as
my (cellular) internet connection. Just wondering . . .
Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464
--
Untitled Document
Links:
------
[1] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/76146
[2] https://groups.io/mt/34477678/500965
[3] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/post
[4] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/editsub/500965
[5] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/leave/defanged

David Cameron - IRLP

I concur with BOTH of these below. I would actually put "power" first. It is usually a bad power bump that takes out the SD card.

I started using SanDisk Ultra, and now Sandisk EDGE micro SD cards. They are far and above better than any others I have used in the past. I get very few reports of these cards going bad, and I have three of them running for over 4 years now.

Dave Cameron

On 2019-10-10 10:55, Jim MacKenzie wrote:
If it is indeed an SD-card-related issue, the best solutions seem to
be:
- Use a better-quality SD card. Most of my problems have
gone away by doing this.
- Upgrade the power supply to provide more amperage.
Jim VE5EV

k9dc

Was it running on a VPN previously? When it was last heard from, it was coming from 166.140.234.202 which is a Verizon Wireless IP. Probably a static assignment.

If you can connect anywhere (whether it works or not) your SD card is fine, obviously the node is working, or it would not respond to dtmf. Does it show up as an active client in your router? I assume you can normally access your router.

-k9dc

On Oct 10, 2019, at 13:31, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Hello Group,

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

k9dc

Your current setup is lightest possible load on the node. Static Public IP from your cellco, no magical stuff happening to make it work. Anything involving a VPN will increase CPU load due to the required encryption open the VPN tunnel.

-k9dc

On Oct 10, 2019, at 13:31, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

Hello Dave & Dave,

I can log into the router and it looks like everything is the way it should be. It is showing the IRLP computer as being connected to the router. Also all of the port information is there and looks okay.

I am using a cellular connection with a public static IP address. No VPN. I haven't done anything with the node computer other than change a cron setting a couple weeks ago. Because of not having access to the site, I have been extremely careful about making any changes. Besides, if it isn't broke, no need to fix it. Although now it is broken. May not be much I can do with it remotely.

Not sure of which SD card may be in there right now. I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. The power is supplied from the repeater power supply to an add on board (that has been there for years) which supplies the power to the Pi.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:59:58 AM
Subject: Re: [IRLP] Interesting Node Problem

> Mick,
>
> I am going to wager a guess that the device that assigns IPs to the Pi
> node on the mountain has reset, and any specific port forwarding that
> might be set up.
>
> If the IP of the node behind the router changes, then it breaks any
> forwarding. BUT, if you are seeing a valid time stamp from the status
> page, then the node is still there and running. I just checked yours
> though, and it is showing the last valid timestamp as "Last heard from
> Node: 18:22:09 on Oct 09 2019 MDT". That was quite a while ago.
>
> If that is BEFORE you started having issues, then I agree the node is
> probably not responding. Could be a variety of reasons, but SD card is a
> good place to check first.
>
> You can't offload the bandwidth to a VPS... You still need to talk into
> and out of the node. To be honest, adding a VPN or some other "go
> between" will only increase the bandwidth use, not reduce it. However,
> this may allow you to run on a cheaper Cellular option, as you will not
> need a routable IP address to the cellular modem. You would use a VPN
> client in the node, and then connect (free) to an IRLP VPN server and
> get an AMPR.NET 44. IP address from there. No matter what your port
> forwarding says, as long as you can "get out" on the internet, it should
> work.
>
> Dave Cameron
> VE7LTD
>
> On 2019-10-10 10:31, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
> wrote:
> > Hello Group,
> >
> > I tried to SSH into my node this morning and couldn't. Looking at the
> > status page listing it shows that it is up and running and has been
> > running. When I reload the status page it shows a time update. I can
> > log into the remote modem so it would appear that I have an internet
> > connection. I can also connect to the test reflector, but no audio
> > from a test, but I do have the connect and disconnect messages.
> > Finally, I did a reboot of the node and it rebooted. After the reboot,
> > the same situation. I'm guessing that with it being a Pi node, it is
> > probably a corrupted SD card. Any thoughts other than get away from
> > the Pi? I do not have access to the site, so I can't get there.
> >
> > Thinking about the above situation and lately working with a VPN/VPS,
> > it has me wondering if some of the computer load and operations could
> > be moved to a VPS? Lighten the load on the local computer as well as
> > my (cellular) internet connection. Just wondering . . .
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
> > --
> > Untitled Document
> >
> >
> >
> > Links:
> > ------
> > [1] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/message/76146
> > [2] https://groups.io/mt/34477678/500965
> > [3] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/post
> > [4] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/editsub/500965
> > [5] https://irlp.groups.io/g/IRLP/leave/defanged
>
>
>
>
>
--

k9dc

Can you reboot the router?  Its port forwarding might just be constipated. 

-k9dc

On Oct 10, 2019, at 14:30, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) <tarra@...> wrote:

Hello Dave & Dave,

I can log into the router and it looks like everything is the way it should be. It is showing the IRLP computer as being connected to the router. Also all of the port information is there and looks okay.

I am using a cellular connection with a public static IP address. No VPN. I haven't done anything with the node computer other than change a cron setting a couple weeks ago. Because of not having access to the site, I have been extremely careful about making any changes. Besides, if it isn't broke, no need to fix it. Although now it is broken. May not be much I can do with it remotely.

Not sure of which SD card may be in there right now. I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. The power is supplied from the repeater power supply to an add on board (that has been there for years) which supplies the power to the Pi.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

Hello Dave,

It took a little bit of time to figure out where to reboot. Finally found it and rebooted. The node had rebooted this morning at 3:50 AM per the schedule in my router.

The reboot of the router didn't help. I also just rebooted the node computer as well. Still not working.

One other interesting detail, my node is set up to email me whenever a connection has been made, not getting any emails.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:39:49 PM

>
> Can you reboot the router? Its port forwarding might just be constipated.
>
> -k9dc
>
> > On Oct 10, 2019, at 14:30, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > Hello Dave & Dave,
> >
> > I can log into the router and it looks like everything is the way it should be. It is showing the IRLP computer as being connected to the router. Also all of the port information is there and looks okay.
> >
> > I am using a cellular connection with a public static IP address. No VPN. I haven't done anything with the node computer other than change a cron setting a couple weeks ago. Because of not having access to the site, I have been extremely careful about making any changes. Besides, if it isn't broke, no need to fix it. Although now it is broken. May not be much I can do with it remotely.
> >
> > Not sure of which SD card may be in there right now. I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. The power is supplied from the repeater power supply to an add on board (that has been there for years) which supplies the power to the Pi.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
>
>
>
>
--

Jim MacKenzie

You might want to run the diagnostic scripts – they will tell you if something is broken.

It will be pretty easy to tell if you have SD card issues by looking at the output of ‘dmesg’.  Mmcblk0px (where x is a number) will be partitions of the main SD card (probably only SD card J ).

Jim VE5EV

From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io [mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io] On Behalf Of Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:04 PM

Hello Dave,

It took a little bit of time to figure out where to reboot. Finally found it and rebooted. The node had rebooted this morning at 3:50 AM per the schedule in my router.

The reboot of the router didn't help. I also just rebooted the node computer as well. Still not working.

One other interesting detail, my node is set up to email me whenever a connection has been made, not getting any emails.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

>
>
> -k9dc
>
> > On Oct 10, 2019, at 14:30, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> >
> > ?
> > Hello Dave & Dave,
> >
> > I can log into the router and it looks like everything is the way it should be. It is showing the IRLP computer as being connected to the router. Also all of the port information is there and looks okay.
> >
> > I am using a cellular connection with a public static IP address. No VPN. I haven't done anything with the node computer other than change a cron setting a couple weeks ago. Because of not having access to the site, I have been extremely careful about making any changes. Besides, if it isn't broke, no need to fix it. Although now it is broken. May not be much I can do with it remotely.
> >
> > Not sure of which SD card may be in there right now. I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. The power is supplied from the repeater power supply to an add on board (that has been there for years) which supplies the power to the Pi.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
>
>
>
>

--

Good idea, except that I can't SSH into the computer.

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 01:07:27 PM

> You might want to run the diagnostic scripts – they will tell you if something is broken.
>
>
>
> It will be pretty easy to tell if you have SD card issues by looking at the output of ‘dmesg’. Mmcblk0px (where x is a number) will be partitions of the main SD card (probably only SD card :) ).
>
>
>
> 73
>
> Jim VE5EV
>
>
>
> From: IRLP@irlp.groups.io [mailto:IRLP@irlp.groups.io] On Behalf Of Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
> Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:04 PM
> To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [IRLP] Interesting Node Problem
>
>
>
> Hello Dave,
>
> It took a little bit of time to figure out where to reboot. Finally found it and rebooted. The node had rebooted this morning at 3:50 AM per the schedule in my router.
>
> The reboot of the router didn't help. I also just rebooted the node computer as well. Still not working.
>
> One other interesting detail, my node is set up to email me whenever a connection has been made, not getting any emails.
>
> Mick - W7CAT
> Node 3464
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: k9dc
> To: IRLP@irlp.groups.io
> Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:39:49 PM
> Subject: Re: [IRLP] Interesting Node Problem
>
> >
> > Can you reboot the router? Its port forwarding might just be constipated.
> >
> > -k9dc
> >
> > > On Oct 10, 2019, at 14:30, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) wrote:
> > >
> > > ?
> > > Hello Dave & Dave,
> > >
> > > I can log into the router and it looks like everything is the way it should be. It is showing the IRLP computer as being connected to the router. Also all of the port information is there and looks okay.
> > >
> > > I am using a cellular connection with a public static IP address. No VPN. I haven't done anything with the node computer other than change a cron setting a couple weeks ago. Because of not having access to the site, I have been extremely careful about making any changes. Besides, if it isn't broke, no need to fix it. Although now it is broken. May not be much I can do with it remotely.
> > >
> > > Not sure of which SD card may be in there right now. I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SD card. The power is supplied from the repeater power supply to an add on board (that has been there for years) which supplies the power to the Pi.
> > >
> > > Mick - W7CAT
> > > Node 3464
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
--

Last night the status page started showing down. I guess that tells the story for now. Oh well . . .

Mick - W7CAT
Node 3464

>
>
> -k9dc
>
> >
> > ?
> > Hello Dave & Dave,
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT
> > Node 3464
>
>
>
>
--