Topics

IRLP and VIS weather software

Rick NK7I

Hello all,

Please take a short walk with me, I want to be clear how and why I am posting...

For many years I have been using a weather script based (adapted many times) on the KC6HUR wx scripts (thank you!).  These scripts allow users to punch in a command to get audio weather reports of current, forecast, alerts etc.  Most of them still play well.

One of them pulls weather data in from Weather Underground which is now owned by IBM.  That allowed the weather trends to be presented as well.

WU/IBM has taken the stance that they know what is best and now require an API key to access ones own stored data.  To make matters worse, they no longer support XML (the original script parsed that) but require JSON plus they altered the names and amount of data returned so what you get is not the same AND is much less.  That's simply frustrating and worse when the data is XX minutes (or hours) ancient, not NOW (potentially stale).

Now, I also run a weather station software program from Valley Information System (VIS) on Windows (only), to collect, chart, make web pages and a whole lot more (I am not a shill, I just use their software).  That software works on specific models of Acurite and Davis weather stations only (I use Davis).  It also punts data to CWOP (and therefore NOAA), WU and PWS, allows tweets and email postings of events/warnings; run outside software as needed (lower that tower!)... pretty cool stuff.

Part of what is produced (each minute) for a web page (pushed onto the IRLP node because it's bored most of the time) is the current data.  (!!! lightbulb on!!!)

Now rather than relying on an outside resource for my data, I'm using my local data, which is always fresh.  To do this, I collaborated with Alan W6AKB to write a python script (because I'm no code writer).

The python script takes the specific data I want into a text summary; a bash script converts that into an audio file (festival required) and another bash script allows it to be played over the air on command.

The bash scripts are simplistic (again, I'm not a coder), does NO checking for file or IRLP activity or anything else.  If you make improvements, please advise me.

I leave it to you to figure out the cronjob of your choice and the custom_decode mods.  So far, it seems to work well, cron is set at 5 min intervals.

If this email reflector allow attachments (depends on the admin settings), here is the result of this effort in python and bash to share if anyone else is running IRLP plus the VIS "Reader" software.  Again, this is a starting point, not a complete solution.  If the files aren't presented here, please let me know where to place them for you.

My weather station is:  http://stn7962.ip.irlp.net/wx/MiniWeb if you want to see what the station can produce.  I'm in the boonies with limited bandwidth, be patient.
Valley Information Systems is: https://forum1.valleyinfosys.com/index.php for information on their software (I'm not a shill, it isn't expensive, less per year than a fast food meal for 4).

73,
Rick NK7I

Rick NK7I

Here is an updated bash script for getMyWx because cron doesn't have an environment, what works as a user (with a path environment) does not for bash.  My bad, forgot that one, python won't find the script without the full path name.

Rick NK7i

#!/bin/bash
#
#
# filename:     getMyWx
#
#               convert that into  audio files
#               that get created by the getMyWx script.
#
# history:
# 20200131      nk7i    for the VIS python script
#

/usr/bin/python /home/irlp/custom/getMyWx.py > /tmp/wx.txt

text2wave -F 9000 -scale 3.5 /tmp/wx.txt -o /tmp/wx.wav